Lip fold pyoderma

(5 Posts)
kid Wed 02-Jan-13 23:17:18

Is it a procedure that could be done under a mild sedation or would a GA be required? I know it would be best to speak to my vet but I worry that once I discuss it with him, the matter would be taken out if my hands.

Baffledandbewildered Wed 02-Jan-13 22:01:39

He may need an operation to remove some of the skin. This is done by ablation ( burning off) under anaesthetic . Is sometimes due to excess saliva production. This will most likely cure the problem. Very common in spaniel breeds

kid Wed 02-Jan-13 20:31:09

Lol, he had it before with the smell, we couldn't stand to be in the same room as him which is why I know he doesn't have it so badly now. The vet mentioned surgery before to prevent it, but I can't bring myself to agree to that incase anything happened to him.

portraitoftheartist Wed 02-Jan-13 20:25:42

My aunty's old dogs had this. The smell of it made me swear I'd never have a spaniel. Take him to the vet before it becomes chronic and people stop visiting you.

kid Wed 02-Jan-13 20:11:04

My springer spaniel showed signs of having lip fold pyoderma so I started all sorts of things to fix it while avoiding a trip to the vets.
He had a brown discharge from his lips and was licking a lot during the night.
I tried using a tiny bit of fucidin on it, but despite how careful I thought I was being, he'd always be sick on the nights I applied it so I stopped using it.
I then purchased some hibiscrub which I am using once a day, diluting it with water.
I also read that I can use apple cider vinegar which I have used occassionally (dilutd with water)
Another thing I read I could use was thorn it powder which I have applied a tiny abound right inside the folds using an earbud.

I just don't know if its working though. The brown discharge has gone, but the skin still looks a bit red and lumpy. He isn't licking excessively anymore, is still eating and drinking as normal and there is no odour. I don't even remember how it's meant to look anymore

Does anyone know if it all sounds normal? Should I change what I am using or do it more frequently?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now