severe gastritis

(10 Posts)
OwlLady Tue 11-Dec-12 14:51:49

my 10 year old border collie developed this last week. I took her a walk and she sat on the walk and then was sick twice, didn't want to walk and then we walked home. She then became rapidly worse sad and was drinking water (clever) and just bringing it all back. Luckily vet got her in straight away but she had to go into hospital for two days as they thought it might be toxic poisoning (as we live on farmland) or pancreatis, or something more sinister, thankfully it wasn't and once re hydrated and on antacids (which she is now off) she came home on hills sensitive bland food stuff, but is now back onto chappie.

I and the vet are pretty sure she overloaded on treats, which she never usually has, because we had had a new puppy. I have had to have a good talk with the children about not giving her any treats or feeding her any scraps.

She seems fine, she is all bright eyed and glossy coated but I am worrying to death about her. Everytime she gets up I think she is going to be sick confused Is it quite normal to be a bit fussy when something like this happens? I think i was scared I was going to lose her tbh, we lost a dog year who we had had for 16 years and it was such a wrench so when she became so ill so quickly I thought that was it sad I cried like a baby in the vets, which really didn't help.

She is also due a vaccination tomorrow and vet said it is fine to go ahead with it, but I am worrying that will trigger it again confused any advice/reassurance greatly received! tell me to pull myself together it's fine, I think i need to be told

OwlLady Tue 11-Dec-12 14:53:02

sorry I missed the word last out, we lost a dog last year (pts sad)

PeriPathetic Tue 11-Dec-12 15:01:40

It's such a worry, isn't it? I'm sorry your girl was so ill, but glad she's ok now.

FWIW, my girl had the same last year and very quickly ended up on a drip. My vet said it was probably picked up by some airborne something-or-other (we're overseas, something was missing in translation!)

I would leave it a week before her jab, tbh, just to give her immune system a bit more time to recover.

OwlLady Tue 11-Dec-12 17:28:17

yes, that's what i was thinking re. the vaccination.

Sorry your dog was poorly too. I think i am in shock how quickly it came on. I had such a week as my edlest son was admitted to a&e as well after swallowing a pen lid at school!

PeriPathetic Tue 11-Dec-12 18:30:21

OMG you've had a horrible week sad hope your son's ok now.

Yes, it came on v quickly and she went downhill rapidly too. I slept with her downstairs as she kept wanting to go into the garden every hour, then I was syringing water into her while I waited for someone to give me a lift to the vets.

Borders are tough creatures though so she'll be right as rain very soon, I'm sure.

OwlLady Tue 11-Dec-12 19:18:26

He is fine peri, he thought it was stuck in his throat and he was incredibly anxious, but I think it would make me anxious too! The Dr reassured him and right on cue it came out the other end a few days later (so he told me, he is 11) I can tell you this disgusting detail because you have a dog grin

She does seem fine. Everytime she does something though i think she is ill blush I need to calm down I think

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 11-Dec-12 19:25:20

I hope this reassures you:
7 years ago I saw a dog vomiting so badly with severe abdominal and a few other signs that suggested obstruction of the bowel. I opened him up and all I found was a huge floppy inflamed stomach - really very severe gastritis.
5 days in the surgery on a drip, pro kinetics and antacids.
7 years later he is an enormously healthy dog he has never ever had a bout since.
His owner knows the early signs to look for rubbing tummy, burping and picking at food and if these happen again he will restart his meds.
I know it has been scary, but she will almost certainly be fine.

OwlLady Wed 12-Dec-12 08:40:36

so what sort of meds does he have lonecat, I presume antacids? I haven't been given anything (and thank you that is helpful)

as a vet yourself, would you put off todays vacs?

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 12-Dec-12 08:50:29

He was on sulcralfate (Antepsin) and Zantac (before there was a licensced H2 receptor antagonist now I would use Zitac and if that didn't help then switch to omeprazole). These have to be given in a particular order at very precise timings before food.
Yes I would dealy the booster.

tabulahrasa Wed 12-Dec-12 09:35:43

For what it's worth (not a medical person) I've always counted boosters as being due in that month rather than precisely on that date.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now