How do I brush my dogs teeth.

(12 Posts)
Floralnomad Mon 10-Dec-12 22:08:15

I always worry with a normal brush that if I slip I could perforate his palette ,although I'm not even sure that's possible ,that's why I prefer the finger one. Strange that I never worried about doing my children any damage when they were little.

LoveDogs Mon 10-Dec-12 22:04:37

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I'll try with the brush before buying the one that you use on your finger. I will try doing it in stages as you all suggest, she loves the taste of the toothpaste so that's a bonus, but she doesn't like the texture of the brush so I guess only time and patience will tell.
Thanks again for all your suggestions.

stag bars or bones is the only way I have ever managed it.

janmoomoo Mon 10-Dec-12 18:29:07

I used to do my old dogs teeth everyday. Luckily she really liked the toothpaste. For the first few days just put a bit on your finger and let him/her lick it off. Once he is happy with that, put a bit on the toothbrush and let him lick that. Then gradually start to move it in and around a bit. This might take a few weeks. And there might be more licking than brushing! Do it at the same time every day (think we did hers after breakfast) so he knows what is coming and it becomes routine.

It definitely improves their breath which is an added bonus.

RedwingWinter Mon 10-Dec-12 16:19:37

We also have found that dental chews don't do the job. I second using the thing you put on your finger, instead of the brush, at least to begin with. Also the first few dozen attempts will just involve holding the thing in the mouth and the toothpaste being licked off. You have to progress slowly to actual brushing.

Floralnomad Mon 10-Dec-12 15:28:05

Have you got the one you put on the end of your finger ? They are IMO easier to use as you seem to have more control . I try to do ours and he loves it but it ends up as a lot of licking and not a lot of brushing. It's fairly easy to do the front ones but the back few are a bit tricky . Our vet doesn't think the dentastix are any good and my dog won't eat a carrot unless its cooked and in gravy preferably with mashed potatoes.

tabulahrasa Mon 10-Dec-12 12:54:40

I'd not go straight in there with a brush, I'd get her to lick the toothpaste for a few days first, then lick it off the brush, then put it in her mouth on the brush, then brush a tooth and work up from there...

LoveDogs Mon 10-Dec-12 12:14:15

I have tried giving her dental chews, but they don't work and she has a raw carrot every day. As I said in my OP none of our dogs have had any trouble before, our old girl who is now 14 has brilliant teeth, she has better teeth than our 3 year old girl, which is the one I'm trying to wrestle with the toothbrush.

LookBehindYou Mon 10-Dec-12 12:00:42

I have these toothbrush shaped treats which only come out after brushing his teeth so he knows it's worth putting up with it. I've been doing it since he was a puppy and I started with just a tiny bit of toothpaste on my finger which he could sniff and lick and then progressed to rubbing his gum and teeth with my finger before starting to use a toothbrush.

iseetinselandtantrums Mon 10-Dec-12 11:55:38

Wasn't very successful here either. He used to chew the brush. Have bought those dental stick chews and he likes a raw carrot.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 10-Dec-12 11:52:15

Sadly I've never managed it. Dog goes barmy and runs round the house like mad. DH has tried holding her but I was scared she'd bite me and she's normally soft as anything. I even tried just using toothpaste on my finger so she wasn't scared of the brush.

LoveDogs Mon 10-Dec-12 11:46:56

I have just bought a toothbrush and toothpaste for my dog, we have never needed to with our other dogs, so that's why I have no idea how to tackle this.
I am a bit unsure that it will work, but anyway have any of you used one and how did you do it and how did your dog react?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now