Memory foam dog beds?

(9 Posts)
F1rstT1meMummy Sun 09-Dec-12 21:28:13

I think Lidl or aldi have them for a tenner this week!grin

I want this!

susiefen Thu 06-Dec-12 20:37:04

The cot mattress is a genius idea, cupcakes, thanks so much smile! I'll give it a go. Came back to find dog hair all over the sofa, so I need to get it sorted (not sure why she is moulting when it's so cold?!)
Thanks again

WhenSantaGotStuckUpACunnyFunt Thu 06-Dec-12 18:13:30

Go on ebay and type in ''memory foam dog bed' and a few mattress companies sell off cuts of memory foam for about 30 quid or less depending on the size you want. All you need then is a cover, go to charity shops for duvet covers cheap, then make them into dog bed covers smile

wildfig Thu 06-Dec-12 13:56:26

(NB I did cover it up in the first place with vetbed and a sheet, but she was unusually persistent for a dog who even had to be taught to use a Kong.)

wildfig Thu 06-Dec-12 13:54:56

OK, learn from my mistake, folks...

Aghast at how much those memory foam dog beds cost, I found a company online that made foam cushions for sofas, and bought a fabulous crate mattress for my pampered hound, to ease her ageing joints - a thick wodge of foam with a thinner layer of memory foam on top. It was about £30 (bargain) and when it arrived, my DP and I took turns sitting on it, and marvelling at its wonderful supportive comfort.

I installed it in figdog's crate, then came downstairs the next morning and found that the ungrateful creature had dug herself a nice hole in it, carefully removing all the memory foam with her claws and teeth, and scattering them around. Now the dogbed is in the kitchen, looking like something you'd see in the front garden of a crackden, while both dogs take turns to sit in the comfy crater.

Moral of this story: you can buy memory foam pads online for a lot less than the proper dog beds, but make sure you get a cover for them. Dogs like to nest. I should have known.

Well, we have a memory foam mattress on our bed, and it's VERY comfortable, so I can see his point! However, like you say, the beds are very expensive.
I'm far too stingy to pay out that much money for a dog bed, so I got hold of a second-hand memory foam cot-bed mattress. Not hard to find really, since you're supposed to buy a new mattress for every baby you have - quite a few of ours friends had one going spare. Or you could probably pick one up cheaply at a boot sale. I then bought a cheap double duvet cover from Argos (in chocolate brown, to hide the mud!). Cut it down the middle and sewed it to make two covers. Total cost for us was £8.99 for the duvet set and about £3 for an extra set of poppers, and we have a large bed (big enough for our two labs) - you'd probably only need a cot mattress for one smaller dog - with 2 covers. The mattress already had a waterproof cover too, so it's easy to keep clean. We used the pillow cases that came with the set on some old pillows, as my dogs like to have their heads raised when they sleep.
Much cheaper than buying a dog bed.smile

susiefen Wed 05-Dec-12 22:35:25

Sorry Orvis, not Orbis!

susiefen Wed 05-Dec-12 22:34:51

Hi
Just wondered if anyone has bought a memory foam dog bed and if they are worth the extra money? My working cocker sleeps on a rug most of the time but lusts after the sofa and we either have to put loads of stuff on all the furniture at night or just give in and let her sleep on it. I've seen lovely beds made by Orbis, but they are soooo expensive!
Any thoughts much appreciated

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now