Does anyone know about Lowchens?

(8 Posts)
nicklenackle Wed 05-Dec-12 10:59:23

We're in the middle stages of thinking about getting another dog after losing our lovely springer three years ago. Now I have more children, I know I can't commit to the kind of exercise a similar dog requires and have been researching different breeds which would be a better fit for us these days.

Everything I've read about Lowchens makes me think one may be just right! We're going to visit a breeder in a few weeks to chat to her and to meet her adult dogs, but i was wondering if anyone here has or knows a lowchen? I'd love to hear some real-life experiences smile

Thanks a lot.

WhenSantaGotStuckUpACunnyFunt Wed 05-Dec-12 16:46:46

What's a Lowchen? I've never heard of them!

nicklenackle Wed 05-Dec-12 17:58:56

smile otherwise called little lion dogs. They don't actually look like lions, but their show clip is all bare on the hindquarters with a sort of shaggy mane up front. Hence lion dog. Most people have them in a puppy clip though I think.

I knew they weren't common but thought someone on mumsnet would be bound to know! Font of all knowledge and all that grin

onessa Wed 05-Dec-12 19:37:00

if no useful replies, try the doggy forum CHAMPDOGS.

multipoodles Wed 05-Dec-12 20:23:56

Oh many years ago we travelled to a show (showed dogs back then) and we had to bring a Lowchen back with us for another exhibitor and I absolutely fell in love with him he was adorable and had a great temperament and character considering he didn't know us and we were travelling back by ferry, although in those days dogs were allowed in the lounge. He lorded it up with all the passengers happily wagging his way round greeting everyone with a happy happy disposition. He was in lion trim as he was a show dog which amused everyone. I don't deviate off poodles much but he was one I would have taken at a drop of a hat. Lovely dog and when I met up with the exhibitor he was going to she confirmed he was very typical of the breed, great with children and quite smart too!

nicklenackle Wed 05-Dec-12 22:25:09

Thanks so much multipoodles, that's great to hear! Thanks too onessa I'll look on champdogs as well.

saintmerryweather Thu 06-Dec-12 23:10:44

i love the look of them and have read up on them a bit...have heard they can be a bit domineering and stubborn. beautiful dogs though!

nicklenackle Fri 07-Dec-12 13:11:06

Thanks saint, it's always good to hear both sides smile

I'm going to see the breed rescue rep in a couple of weeks as I thought she would have a really honest view of the breed and have a good idea about the reasons why some people feel the need to rehome them.

Obviously, I'm not saying any of those reasons would be the dogs' fault, but I thought it'd help us decide whether the home we can offer will be right for a lowchen.

<desperate to get it right>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now