Toiletting and the rain...

(20 Posts)
GrimmaTheNome Fri 30-Nov-12 16:24:47

My dachs is a little devil for not wanting to go when its raining (asks to go, gets his nose out and then does high-speed reverse), but fortunately he has huge capacity and eventually I'll make him go - I stand just inside the back door watching him and sending him back out until he's done, whereat he's told he's a Good Boy. Sometimes however he uses his brain and goes under the garden table for a dry pee. (well, if its really wet and the grass is long he'll still have a wet tum)

HoneyDragon Fri 30-Nov-12 16:14:47

Surely one of the advantages of hairless ape status with opposable thumbs is that you can open windows and click?

For once Caninus Superious has to make do in the cold and the rain. <<victory to the Monkey - hurrah>>

MerryCunnyFuntingChristmas Fri 30-Nov-12 10:01:24

It's only rain D0oin you won't melt! Unless of course you are green of skin, pointy of hat, hail from the west, travel everywhere on a broomstick and a wicked witch. In which case, get a brolly wink grin

D0oinMeCleanin Fri 30-Nov-12 09:30:43

Rabbits, along with the rain, are one of the many things she is scared of. She doesn't play either, not with people anyway, only with other dogs.

Like I said she is not a normal dog.

I think I'm going to try grabbing her earlier before work and waiting longer in the yard for her to do something. She used to go on command so I might retrain that, we stopped using the command when she started asking to go out.

I wonder if I could click her from through the window so I am not getting wet too?

UterusUterusGhouli Fri 30-Nov-12 00:48:47

Cunny, I have actually considered that blush

UterusUterusGhouli Fri 30-Nov-12 00:46:52

I leave the ack door open too. (Trusting country type)

UterusUterusGhouli Fri 30-Nov-12 00:45:28

I have to throw some meat outside to get UterineDog to go out. She is frightened of rain. hmm

She will bark once to come in but not go out ffs.

Watching with interest...

cazinge Thu 29-Nov-12 23:51:15

D0oin would she chase a rabbit-shaped toy if it was thrown?

cazinge Thu 29-Nov-12 23:49:38

Honey exactly! grin

D0oinMeCleanin Thu 29-Nov-12 23:45:16

I've tried biscuits on the yard, cheese in the yard, chicken, mince. I doubt she'd leave the house in the rain for fillet steak shock She is not a normal dog.

HoneyDragon Thu 29-Nov-12 23:40:39

I have used the biscuit lawn technique. You have to throw it far enough that may as well have a wee on the way back.

cazinge Thu 29-Nov-12 23:36:47

Ours pretends to do a wee too! And, like spicy we have got evil with her but if she won't move off the decking, I throw a treat on to the lawn from inside in the dry and when she gets to the lawn she realises she needs to go!

Probably teaching her bad habits, but it works blush

MerryCunnyFuntingChristmas Thu 29-Nov-12 18:15:40
aliasjoey Thu 29-Nov-12 15:50:21

grin at spicypears dog pretending to do a wee

another one here who has stood in the rain for 15 minutes until he realises I'm not going to give in...

NothingIsAsBadAsItSeems Thu 29-Nov-12 15:37:19

Nelly has a look outside sees the rain and buggers off back to bed. She's then dragged out for a wee and put back on the grass every time she makes a break for the back door. Eventually she has a wee, is given lots of praise and allowed to go back to bed smile

Non of the others have a problem with it confused

SpicyPear Tue 27-Nov-12 15:29:51

Yes I see the problem, but was thinking if you can get her to go on demand last thing before you leave she's much less likely to need it when you're out. And may even get in the habit of going in the rain so she'll do it when you're out [wildly hopeful emoticon]

D0oinMeCleanin Tue 27-Nov-12 15:21:28

She goes outside while I am in the house all day because I stalk her around the house making sure she has no accidents and the second I see her go to squat I do a ninja speed grab and dash to the yard with her grin

She can hold it all day though, usually if I am home, unless it's one of those days when it is raining steadily all day, then I can just grab her and put her out between showers.

It's when I am not there to stalk her around the house that she does it.

SpicyPear Tue 27-Nov-12 15:17:31

Didn't make it clear, my back door is glass so I can watch through it. Also there is no real shelter for her to hide under so in your case I would probably try taking her on lead when you have nowhere to go for a while and stand there like a statue for as long as it takes then run back in with great fuss. I did try to think of ways that weren't so mean btw but nothing else worked blush

SpicyPear Tue 27-Nov-12 15:04:23

I had the same problem and even though I am positive training ask the way, had to get a bit evil with this. So I let her out, gave her cue then shut the back door with me inside. And I waited, and waited, and waited there and felt like an utter bitch. Eventually after ignoring her pleas to come in, she did her business and I opened the door and made a big treaty fuss about letting her back in. But I only had to do it two or the times like this before she realised that it's in her better interests to run out, get it over with and be let in that sit cowering in the rain by the door. Occasionally now if it's really wet she squats and pretends to do a tiny pee so I have to watch her and send her back to do a proper one before letting her in!

D0oinMeCleanin Tue 27-Nov-12 14:49:04

One of my dogs will not go outside to toilet while it is raining and I am not here. I don't know which one because I am not here, but I have my suspicions <eyes Whippy accusingly>

I put her out before I go out and stand outside getting wet with her but she just cowers under the window sill until I give up and let her back in (we're talking a good 20 minutes here, not just a few minutes)

I leave the backdoor ajar while I am out so they can get in and out as they please (very secure yard, no way of escape or for them to be stolen)

Whippy waits until I am out and then does her business by the backdoor, inside the house.

It's a tiled floor so it's not that big a deal, but I'd rather it not happen if anyone has any suggestions?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now