wheter or not to ditch the crate? your views please...

(37 Posts)
WTFwasthat Mon 26-Nov-12 07:17:26

pup has never been a massive fan of the crate. He sleeps overnight in the kitchen under the worktop in his dogbed. No puddles or poos in morning. He will pop himself in his bed if he wants a snooze in the day. He never voluntarily goes in his crate even when his dog bed was in there. I have popped out twice in last two days. for 30 mins max to collect dd and left him in kitchen but not in crate ( which is in living room), with no problem. Is it worth persevering with crate? I have been putting him inthere when I go out for longer, shopping etc. and he doesn't fuss but is there any point?

WTFwasthat Wed 28-Nov-12 17:43:30

well the crate is history! He has been in the house (confined to kitchen/diner and hallway) with no access to lounge or dining room and it has been fine!

shoutymcshoutsmum Wed 28-Nov-12 18:30:50

We have a super lovely covered crate in the kitchen. For whatever reason, our one year old GSP didn't like it. He would get upset in the crate but not cuddled up elsewhere so we let him be. In my limited experience, it seems like different dogs like different things. Not been a problem for us to listen to our dog - we just have to be vigilant about what we leave out as he is an amazing counter surfer.

WTFwasthat Thu 29-Nov-12 07:15:12

shoutymc- yes, i do think it is an individual thing. Pup is much happier. Imwould have loved to have had him enjoy the crate but he never took to it!

VeganCow Tue 04-Dec-12 11:48:09

My pup is almost 7 months, we ditched the crate at 5 months. Was good when she was little, when cooking etc just to keep her out of harms way for the odd half hour, and also to give some respite to our older dog.

But, she prefers to sleep on the sofa and always chose that over the crate by about 5 months old..when younger she would willingly go in it for naps, then she started to dislike it.

I never had intentions of the crate being there always, I borrowed it short term but as lots of people have said on this thread, why crate a dog who has a nice bed elsewhere and is well behaved?

Just make sure you leave plenty of hide chews, stuffed kong, ball etc when you go out. You can freeze the kong overnight to give a 'power emptier' more time on it.

LadyTurmoil Tue 04-Dec-12 12:14:43

WTF sounds like everything is working out well. Need some more pictures - sure he has grown up a lot since we saw that picture of him as a small puppy, please!

WTFwasthat Tue 04-Dec-12 21:22:47

ladyturmol, i have no idea how to upload pics. i will haveva go x

WTFwasthat Tue 04-Dec-12 21:34:33

i think i put a photo of Max on my profile. Can someone tell ke

PartridgeInASpicyPearTree Tue 04-Dec-12 21:54:22

Squeeeeee! He's lovely.

I must about you a buy of puppy envy at class tonight. Nothing cuter than a lab puppy. My mutt is more characterful than cute smile

PartridgeInASpicyPearTree Tue 04-Dec-12 21:55:56

I must admit to a bit...

This swipy keyboard is the bain of my life.

WTFwasthat Wed 05-Dec-12 09:47:46

pardon Partridge confused!

LadyTurmoil Wed 05-Dec-12 12:34:52

Yes, I can see them! He's really, really sweet. I'm very taken with a Labrador cross on a rescue website. She's 3-4 years old, supposedly calm, sweet and gentle. I'm going to launch a full assault on stubborn OH when he gets home from abroad tonight. Have already emailed him photos. It's one of those times, I wish I didn't have to take other people into consideration. If it was just me, I would have already done the deed!

WTFwasthat Fri 07-Dec-12 21:38:47

good luck LT!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now