how many poos a day is normal for a pupp?

(18 Posts)
chipstick10 Mon 19-Nov-12 16:07:28

If my young dog eats anything and I mean anything but chappie then we are up shit creek without a paddle. One tiny scrap and its the runs all day.

WTFwasthat Sun 18-Nov-12 17:29:21

Thanks all, his poos are not runny but definitely very, er.... Fragrant !

GoldenOrangeWhippoorwhill Sun 18-Nov-12 11:38:33

My pup is raw fed and poos about twice a day. Nice and firm with no nasty smell.

I got free bags of Applaws, Hills and Royal Canin. Donated the last two but kept the Applaws for training treats. It doesn't seem too bad as commercial food goes, high meat content and no grains.

Nothing compares to the fun of watching a little puppy devouring a chicken quarter though. smile

WTFwasthat Wed 14-Nov-12 22:43:20

MrsC - gotcha grinwine

digerd Wed 14-Nov-12 21:40:59

I bred small Westie pups. Until they were 8 weeks old I fed them 4 times a day. and they pooed after each meal plus every morning and night = 6, but were tiny poos and not at all smelly. I fed them Eukanuba. My adult dogs were fed once a day at 4pm

MrsChristmasVamos Wed 14-Nov-12 21:07:37

WTF

You got mail. smile

WTFwasthat Wed 14-Nov-12 20:55:40

so maybe i should get him alternative food then. What is raw barf? or fish4dogs?

Treat wise I use a mix. Wainwrights treats, Harringtons (his fave) and sometimes cheese.

I have to confess that I add a small amount of chopped chicken and carrot/brocolli to his meals as he is quite a reluctant eater but this gets his interest.

I'm no expert in nutrition by any means but Wainwrights and Skinners both came up as reasonable foods for the price when googling other forums.

I've seen lots about Burns and Arden Grange being ok on here too. But our Pets at home only had hulking great sacks and I was very wary after it went so badly with JWB.

Wainwrights seems to be suiting him and its not too expensive.

toboldlygo Wed 14-Nov-12 16:52:09

Pro plan is similarly full of shite, they just charge a lot more for it. hmm

I would recommend a raw/BARF diet but appreciate that this isn't for everyone. Fish4Dogs would be my dry food of choice.

HoneyDragon Wed 14-Nov-12 16:51:50

I used Burns puppy or Skinners puppy, and at 6 months she went on to adult Skinners Rice range. JWB upset Hullypups tummy too. Never had any poo issue on either of those.

WTFwasthat Wed 14-Nov-12 16:48:59

he gets fed 3 times per day but gets a treats for training, weeing outside etc. These are just reg puppybtreats. Maybe it's that? what do you use for treats!

MrsChristmasVamos Wed 14-Nov-12 16:45:09

Proplan is very good but expensive, depends on your budget and what you want to feed.

However, there is a lot of food snobbery, the best advice I could give you is try a couple, and keep to it, to avoid upset tummies etc. Lamb and rice dry foods are good for pups with sensitive tummies.

With regard to the poos, if you are feeding 4 times a day, then expect at least 4-5 poos a day. The older they get, the less frequently they get fed, and the less they poo...in times of poo-ing, but the amount increases !

WTFwasthat Wed 14-Nov-12 16:43:11

Fanof sorry x posted. So you recommend wainwright a?

WTFwasthat Wed 14-Nov-12 16:40:46

Oh! I was recommended that by the fosterer. What's good then? Am happy to change it if it'll help. What would u recommend?

Mine goes about 3 times a day, which is how often he is fed.

We are in the process of switching food from Eukanuba to Wainwrights. I was a little worried as tried JWB but it gave him terrible runs. On day 8 and 4/5th wainrights now and he seems ok.

toboldlygo Wed 14-Nov-12 16:29:01

Purina is full of shite, which is why dogs fed on it produce so much shite. wink

Ingredients of the Beta puppy with chicken: Cereals (wholegrain 20%), Meat and animal derivatives (meat 14%, chicken 4%), Vegetable protein extracts, Oils and fats, Derivatives of vegetable origin (dried beet pulp 1.1%), Vegetables (dried chicory root 1.1%), Minerals.

So only 18% 'meat' (I use the term loosely as much of that could be the animal derivatives which can include hair, feathers, skin, hooves etc. as well as the usual eyes, ears and arseholes), the rest of it cereals. So little 'meat', in fact, that the protein content has to be bumped up with vegetable protein.

WTFwasthat Wed 14-Nov-12 14:48:15

i reckon Max does about 5 a day! Is ths normal? They are pretty rank too shock. He also has the smelliest flatulence I have ever known! He is fed on Purina beta puppy food ( dry food). Anyone got any opinions on this? Thanks mN

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now