Does anyone use a dog ramp for the car?

(10 Posts)
Cuebill Tue 13-Nov-12 18:23:30

Most dogs will use a ramp if introduced to it correctly.

Put it flat on the floor to start with - if possible in a narrow hall. If you clicker train click any glances at the ramp. Put food on the ramp click for getting the food etc. If the dog is happy encourage them to put feet on ramp click and treat.

When they are comfortable with putting feet on the ramp put food on the ramp as they walk along. I would give their meals on it for a day or two.

Then build up to having the food at the end of the ramp (still flat) on the ground and they have to walk to the end of the ramp to get the food.

Depending on how happy they are gently lift the ramp up a bit maybe onto a stool etc, carry on feeding the dog at the end of the ramp.

Always treat at the very end of the ramp so the dogs do not jump off it - you can teach a 2 on 2 off. So click and treat when the dog has backlegs on the ramp but front legs on the ground.

When you do use the ramp on the car especially 4 X 4 do give the dog adequate walk up to the ramp not expect the dog to start from stationary at the end of the ramp - if you get my meaning.

Ramps are great for puppies too (and brilliant if you want to agility) to teach correct balance and target at the end!

charlearose Tue 13-Nov-12 16:05:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

No that's not the dog ramp we have, ours slides into itself. I'd guess it's about 5 foot fully stretched out and covered in bumpy stuff so there's a bit of grip. Ours is more like this www.amazon.co.uk/Solvit-62337-Deluxe-Telescopic-Ramp/dp/B000RUJEUU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1352806919&sr=8-4

lovemydogs Tue 13-Nov-12 11:01:52

thanks everyone - I cannot lift her - she is too big and also squeals and squirms and won't allow it - probably she never got used to being handled and is probably tender - she is in great health overall - very happy, good eater and goes for 2 or 3 twenty min walks a day with my other greyhound who is 10 - I have just found I can get her into the boot through the rear passenger door as my back seats fold upright behind the front seats so that might be the way to go - there is a dog ramp in Argos - it is quite short though and doesn't have great reviews.
Thanks again

When dh was in his early twenties, his mum was having difficulty getting her elderly labrador into her car, so dh built her a ramp.

Being an engineer, he designed it carefully, and built it to the highest specifications, with the best, most solid materials.

When it was finished, it weighed so much that dMIL couldn't lift it into the boot of her car - rather spoiling the whole point of the thing!

We have used a ramp for the last 5 years or so with our 14 year old big dog. He has hip and back problems but is too big for me to lift in and out of the car myself. It has been great although he refuses to use it now so dh has to lift him in and out.

We have the RSPCA ramp from Argos but I think it's been discontinued. I quite like the look of the dog steps you can get on Amazon!

Another greyhound owner here. When our darling old girl was alive, she had arthritis too, so no jumping. We found it was easier simply to gently lift her into the boot, and then down at the other end. She weighed about 24 kg so I could just about manage her by myself. A ramp could work though - we often used to see a Goldie use one at the park we go to, who had poorly hips.

I'll admit I know nothing about dog ramps or greyhounds, but the thing that sprang to mind for me if she wouldn't use a ramp, was to keep a set of robust plastic containers that fit inside each other in the car. These could be unpacked, turned over and used as a little flight of steps, if she could use those? No idea if it would work, so just ignore me if it's a really daft idea! Not even sure if I explained that very well...confused

LoveDogs Mon 12-Nov-12 22:15:39

We have used dog ramps for 3 very different dogs they all refused point blank! We've also tried steps and they don't work either, we ended up having to help them physically ourselves, when getting in the car getting them to put their front paws up and then us lifting their back end, then when getting out they would jump down half way and again we would lift their back end out. This is the ONLY thing that has worked for us.

lovemydogs Mon 12-Nov-12 18:55:05

hi
I have a 4x4 and 2 greyhounds, one of who is 13 (!) and can't easily get in and out of the back of the car. I have looked at a number of dog ramps online - the pet shops don't seem to stock them as they are poor sellers - and some seem very short so the angle from the boot would be steep and also quite narrow - I am slightly concerned that I could buy a ramp that she would simply refuse to use. Any advice would be gratefully received. Or have you found something else to assist an elderly dog getting in and out - she is ok at my house as I have front door steps and can reverse my car up to them so the height she has to jump is very small but when I get to my destination she would have to jump out then getting her back in from the pavement is just too much and too distressing so I end up not being able to take her anywhere - in particular to the vet. Many thanks indeed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now