Help - where to start when looking for/buying a family dog.

(28 Posts)
azteccamera Sat 10-Nov-12 15:12:27

I'm looking for advice from those much more learned about dogs than I am!

We live in the countryside, have a three year old daughter and I work from home apart from one day a fortnight. Fields to walk dogs are just through the back of our garden, and we have a utility/enough space to keep a dog.

DP & I both grew up with dogs, and we'd like to have the same for our daughter, and we are also in a position now where we have the time to give to a dog for walks, training and so on.

We've started to look, but are pretty stumped with all of the choices out there! I guess my main questions are:

Which breed? With a three year old and nieces/nephews plus potentially more children of our own in the future we need a breed that's good with children.

Secondly, where to buy? Do we go for a rescue dog, what do we have to take into consideration? Or do we buy a puppy? If so, how do we tell who is responsibly breeding them etc?

I really appreciate any responses!

Thanks

D0oinMeCleanin Mon 12-Nov-12 09:20:55

He takes them through the park opposite my house, my dc think it is the best thing ever. I am fairly certain he is not supposed to be doing it there, he does compete with them but has never told me where.

Huskies are his way of life, rather than simply his family pets.

He does sit looking fed up in the field sometimes grin, we walk ours there and he has asked me to catch hold of one his a few times before when it has come bouncing over to me to see if I have chicken today. Apparently his dogs thinks my chicken is somehow tastier than their owners chicken grin

They are beautiful dogs but they are not family pets.

SeaShellsMyDogTrulySmells Mon 12-Nov-12 09:35:47

Check out Dorset Animal Workers Group - they don't have anything ideal for you at the moment, but it is worth speaking to them smile The right dog will eventually come along smile

mistlethrush Mon 12-Nov-12 09:52:38

Personal Clown - I saw a rather overweight staffie have a go round a short distance of a greyhound track on Saturday - with the lure going nice and slowly especially.... She made it about 80m along before giving it up as a bad job.

Some of the terriers used their heads and cut the corner on theirs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now