Do adaptil collars really work?

(6 Posts)
suburbandream Sat 10-Nov-12 10:33:33

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of using these. We have a Welsh Terrier and he absolutely hates being groomed. I was thinking one of these might help - any advice much appreciated!

Rikalaily Sat 10-Nov-12 10:42:17

We used the plug in and collar when our rescue dog was suffering from seperation anxiety. It made a big difference and when the plug in ran out without me realising there was a difference within a day or so.

You can get the spray too which you could spray onto a towel for him to sit on while being groomed too for a double whammy effect.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 10-Nov-12 10:49:38

The adaptil collar alone won't make a huge difference it should be combined with behavioural modification to really help. Making grooming sessions short interrupted by fun and treats combined with the collar will help.

SpicyPear Sat 10-Nov-12 19:30:45

Personally, I found it of no help at all with my girl. A friend of mine also worked at a big rescue when they trialled them on new dogs coming in and they found it made no difference to how they settled so didn't carry on with them.

poachedeggs Sun 11-Nov-12 00:27:38

There's some evidence that these are effective but if he's very averse to the procedure it may not be enough.

Have a look at this video and see if you think it might be an approach that would benefit him. smile

drsophiayin.com/resources/video_full/training_a_dog_to_enjoy_toenail_trims

suburbandream Sun 11-Nov-12 13:18:23

Thanks everyone, when I'm brushing him at home I tend to treat him at the same time like in poachedegg's clip but I'd like him to just let me do it without eventually! Slowly does it I suppose. I think I'll get one and give it a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now