With housetraining, how long does it take until the penny drops?

(42 Posts)
WTFwasthat Tue 06-Nov-12 21:36:21

pup 13 weeks only been here 9 days so not expecting miracles but how long can it take and when does ot click with dogs! I am on Max like a Ninja. taking him out regularly, lots of praise and a treat for every wee/poo. No accidents at all today but he just went to pee on the lounge floor so I said "no!" and whipped him into the garden with a treat and heaped the praise on when he finished his wee. It makes me think he is not getting it at all. Is he?

WTFwasthat Wed 14-Nov-12 10:27:37

floralnomad - he is not crated overnight but if i go out during the day for chores etc. he is completely dry overnight. Just hevwill pee- poo wherever if he gets the chance, thankfully i can be around the majority of the time so he doesn't get many opportunities!

Floralnomad Tue 13-Nov-12 23:21:00

You do not need to crate train to get a puppy house trained quickly . Some just get it quicker than others , much like children. Your pup is still a baby .

WTFwasthat Tue 13-Nov-12 23:04:07

Lou - he is crate trained. He is dry and clean overnight. He is crated when I go out. He is given access to carpeted areas under supervision only and never if I'm not in room with him. He potters around in kitchen/ hallway with me while I'm cooking etc. he had hardly any margin for error. He is mostly clean but I watch him like a hawk and take him out regularly and praise/ treat when he has performed etc. he is a rescue and arrived with me at 12 weeks so will take longer as he thinks its ok to poo/ wee wherever u are. Just a bit frustrating when u think u are making progress but then they crap anywhere they fancy!

LouThomp Tue 13-Nov-12 22:37:49

Sorry hit send too early! You need to crate train - means house train really quickly. Ours arrived crate trained and only had two accidents. All peolpe we know who've had dogs from same place have done the same with huge success. In fact it was a criteria from buying from our breeder to prevent problems. Look it up online or let me k ow if you want more details.

LouThomp Tue 13-Nov-12 22:30:28

Sorry hit send too early! You need to crate train - means house train really quickly. Ours arrived crate trained and only had two accidents. All peolpe we know who've had dogs from same place have done the same with huge success. In fact it was a criteria from buying from our breeder to prevent problems. Look it up online or let me k ow if you want more details.

LouThomp Tue 13-Nov-12 22:27:39

You need to crate train - l

WTFwasthat Tue 13-Nov-12 22:22:31

i keep thinking Max is doing really well and then he throws me a curveball! it is frustrating

SpicyPear Tue 13-Nov-12 21:56:15

Hi WTF - I am finding it is generally getting better but there are setbacks.

For example today when I went to answer the phone he grabbed the opportunity to sneak into my bedroom and leave a big smelly present...

I don't get the felling he's going to be a super quick learner and with the best of intentions he still can't hold very well when he's excited. Which is a lot of the time...

WTFwasthat Tue 13-Nov-12 21:38:13

so I really thought we were making enormous progress but tonight pup squatted in the lounge, I yelled "no" and whipped him into the garden where he did pee but has he just not got the message yet? He was whining at 445am so i came down and put him out for a wee (assumed that was why he was whining) but maybe he was just whinng........hmm. Does it sound like he is making progress or not?

Floralnomad Mon 12-Nov-12 11:31:33

Assume its going to take a long time for them to get it and then you'll be happily surprised when it takes less time . It's actually quite a good way to approach most things in life !

WTFwasthat Mon 12-Nov-12 11:16:13

ok. it is a necessary learning curve but a pain in the bum when you're not sure they are actually getting it!

ijustwant8hours Mon 12-Nov-12 10:31:40

Mine is OK with poos but we have had a couple of weeing regressions where I have just had to think, right start again and make sure I am doing the basics! Just keep going!

WTFwasthat Mon 12-Nov-12 10:19:26

so pup had a poo on lounge rug this morning. Is he "getting it' at all?

VerySmallSqueak Sat 10-Nov-12 22:22:52

Mine is 10 months.No major problems with poos but we are still getting wee accidents - but I suspect a lot of this is more a scenting thing as there's little volume but it can be quite frequent. It's frustrating.

Floralnomad Sat 10-Nov-12 22:16:21

TBH as long as he's not going indoors I wouldn't get to hung up on the actual asking to go out . As long as he's holding on overnight and when you leave him during the day it shows he is getting the idea that you have to wait to be let out .

WTFwasthat Sat 10-Nov-12 21:05:35

i think I am pre-empting his need for a wee / poo rather than reading his cues but he does always perform

WTFwasthat Sat 10-Nov-12 21:03:28

so we have had no accidents indoors for three days, bar a poo thurs morning when i was busy with breakfasts and packed lunches. I take him out whenever I think he needs to go. How do I know if he has got it? He always goes when I take him out and never squats indoors. When do they take themselves to the door to go out? i'm not sure we have it sussed just yet but does this sound like we could almost be there?

wildfig Fri 09-Nov-12 19:25:28

My younger dog (basset hound, slooooow learner) was 6 months old before he was completely reliable and watertight indoors - I remember we had to take him to stay with friends at New Year and I was panicking that he was going to relapse all over their carpet. I think it can vary a lot according to breed: hounds just aren't as quick as gundogs or collies, say, when it comes to the penny dropping. But it will! wine

WTFwasthat Thu 08-Nov-12 22:40:51

tbh i don't look for signs as such. i just take him out at regular intervals.

Tbh at this age, just keep on reading the cues and taking him out.

As long as you keep doing that and praising like a mad thing when he does it, it will reinforce what you want.

WTFwasthat Thu 08-Nov-12 20:53:36

well no accidents in doors for two days now. not sure if this because i don't give him the opportunity or if we are better co- ordinated! i think if i wasn't on the case he would just go anywhere. .how can you tell?

rogersmellyonthetelly Thu 08-Nov-12 12:14:57

Mine was 80% reliable by about 20 weeks. Then we moved house and she regressed completely for a couple of weeks before becoming 100% by about 6 months. She will still wee in the house if another dog visits (I'm looking at you mil, no you cannot bring your ancient snappy incontinent dog to my house to stay for 2 days then complain that my dog isn't house trained!) or the other night when the fireworks were bad she pooed in the bedroom. She also wees in the playroom if she gets stuck in there, she isn't allowed in normally, but sometimes sneaks in if the door is ajar which then shuts behind her as its a fire door thingy.

SpicyPear Wed 07-Nov-12 21:57:30

Thanks WTF smile

WTFwasthat Wed 07-Nov-12 20:53:52

SpicyPear wine for you [ smile]

SpicyPear Wed 07-Nov-12 20:02:44

Just came on to add a bit of sympathy. I thought we were doing really well and he is starting to take himself to the back door. Then I turned my back for 2 minutes just now and he took a big (for a pup) smelly dump in the middle of my white bathroom mat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now