Cross Breeds. What is your opinion.

(153 Posts)
MrsDeVere Fri 19-Oct-12 17:49:06

I am NOT starting a bunfight thread and will not participate in one. If it goes that way I will simply hide this thread and not come back smile

I am genuinely after people's opinions and their reasoning.
I have noticed on threads that there seems to be a general dislike of cross breeds. Not the actual dogs, I am sure you all love the individual dogs, but the idea of them.

Is it only the 'designer' crosses that are the problem? If so I can understand that. But I dont get the problem with genuine mongrels.
But then I understand the problem with people not getting their dogs neutered and I suppose if they did, there wouldnt be any mongrels would there? <confuses self>

The reason I ask is because I have never had a pedigree and never had a desire to own one. I think they are perfectly lovely but I would be happy if all dogs were mixed (dont hurt me).

I had a proper Heinz 57. He was simply the best dog ever. Collie size, retriever type coat, head like a flat GSD and the best natured dog I have ever met.
We had a ChixJRT (we think) who we got when she was 7 from DGM who was going into sheltered housing. She was a bloody nightmare but lovely. Escapee extraordinaire and lived till she was about 19.
I have a terrier cross. Quite a big body and little legs. He is now about 15-17 and living with my DS who he adores.
I have a chi x pom (klein) who is lovely, no trouble, never runs off, ignores other dogs and loves the DCs. He is 3.

All of my dogs have been rescues apart from the Chi x. I wanted a puppy and had small children so knew it would be almost impossible to rehome (from past experience).

I did a lot of thinking before chosing a cross breed type. I wanted a small dog without any terrier. I think I am a responsible dog owner. My dogs are all neutered, trained, chipped, wormed and vaccinated.

I would like another dog at some point but am confused as to how to go about it. I would gladly take a puppy from a rescue but what are my chances?
If I buy one from a private home am I encouraging feckless owners or helping solve a problem by homing an unwanted puppy?

Is there a way of doing this the right way?

mrsjay Thu 24-Jan-13 14:23:33

Oh that is handy what is Betty In Romanian grin of course you are being picky you are entitled to be dogs are hard work and they need to be the right 1 dh is looking on dogs trust to get jaydog a friend hmm

issey6cats Thu 24-Jan-13 14:34:37

anyone looking for a dog or puppy please have a look on facebook at cyprus pride house they mainly have cats but at the moment have the most adorable chi cross puppies wilma was chucked out on the dstreets because she was pregnant and the pups are georgous llike little white piglets, they were born two weeks ago, and having adopted my dog from there june the lady who runs the rescue is an amazing lady, the dogs fly over to heathrow airport, she also has some hounds aswell if you like a bigger dog one of them storm looks like he could have been one of my dogs pups as he is 18 months old and she was dumped 5 months ago but he is the spit of her

MrsDeVere Thu 24-Jan-13 14:55:26

<sticks fingers in ears and says La La La at issey's post>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now