My dog has come into season for the first time...

(30 Posts)
DeliaRose Wed 10-Oct-12 09:00:25

Is there anything I should know/be aware of? Is there much mess? I've noticed a few spots but should I keep her out of the lounge (carpet)?

Do I need to keep her on the lead whilst out, even though she has good recall?

How long does it last?

TIA

saffronwblue Thu 11-Oct-12 10:47:48

Our vet nurse had a bitch in season behind a six foot fence. A passing kelpie leapt the fence and knocked her up.

LtEveDallas Thu 11-Oct-12 11:50:59

Sweetie,

We had MuttDog spayed at approx 6 months - couldn't be more definate as she was a rescue/dumped.

Spoke to the vet and advised her that Mutt was going to be around 'complete' dogs every day, she was quite happy to spay from 5 months onwards, as long as I understood that there is a slight possibility of incontinence problems later in life the earlier bitches are spayed. It was a negligible risk, so I went for it.

Another bonus for me was that if you don't let a bitch have a season she doesn't get the 'rush' of hormones from puberty, so is likely to be calmer in general (but no-one told MuttDog that, and she's still a loon smile)

DeliaRose Thu 11-Oct-12 12:23:14

Thanks everyone for your help.

She's acting a bit strange yesterday and today. Cowering every time she sees me sad and she just been laying about all day, having to really push her to even go out for a wee. Is this normal?

BoysBoysBoysAndMe Thu 11-Oct-12 12:55:38

My cocker has gone lazy.

She flatly refuses to go for a walk sometimes, even hiding so she doesn't have to go.

I don't know if she's tired, hormonal, feeling odd or what!

Normally she'll walk/ run the whole day if we're out anywhere.

Nuttyfilly Sat 13-Oct-12 22:16:44

Hi there when my dobe bitch is in season she sulks! Sleeps most of the time and just wants to keep her self to herself, bit like us really! But stick to advice about walking and the garden! Male dogs are very determined and also a bitch can turn very nasty and cause injury to another dog because they don't want mounting. But to be fair you and your girl will breeze threw it, just use common sence

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now