Looking for a very placid, docile and affectionate breed - first time dog owner, need advice please

(83 Posts)
LesleyPumpshaft Sat 06-Oct-12 08:28:15

I am a first time prospective dog owner and I need advice. We live in right in a forest, have a medium garden and a smallish house. DS is 13 and DP had a dog when he was a kid.

I have a bit of a dog phobia, but I do like very placid, docile and affectionate dogs. I want to get a pure breed from a reputable breeder, as I feel I would have more of an idea of what I'm getting. Because I'm a bit scared of dogs, I don't want a large breed, as I'm a soft touch and worry that I might not be confident with it. I don't like small dogs that much and find them a bit annoying.

I work from home, and would like company during the day and an excuse/motivation to actually take a break and go out for walks. I've been doing some research and Basset hounds are in first place so far. A friend of my parents has one and I think I have fallen in love. However, I have read that they are very stubborn and maybe not so good for a first time owner.

I really don't want a hyper, sharp or nervous breed. Does anyone have any suggestions ir advice please?

Sorry for long post, but I want to make an informed decision before I get my own dog.

D0oinMeCleanin Sun 07-Oct-12 16:47:09

Cuebill, you should come and walk with puppy one day grin

All of our lurchers are active, lively dogs, two are nice but dim, one is lazy, docile, but smart enough to get what he wants, two are absurdly clever.

Out of those lot two think the whole world is their best friend, one is jittery around new dogs, one is terrified of new dogs to the point that she will take off at 35 mph, only to be seen once the threat has gone and one is ambivalent to new dogs but has learnt that hanging out with puppy earns him treats so was clever enough to befriend him.

However inside the house 4 out of 5 of them sleep most of the day, then there is puppy....

I luffs him really.

colditz Sun 07-Oct-12 16:53:17

My jack Russell is very loving but mental in the house. Avoid!

No worries cue, I read it as a "all greyhounds are boring, farting couch potatoes" post. Which to my mind seems to be how they are mostly seen. Which is not how the ones I have met (quite a few now as actively involved with our local rescue) appear to be grin

Cuebill Sun 07-Oct-12 16:58:48

I don't want the thread to go off topic but working in rescue I have had many greys through our door sad.

Most of them spend time in our house as they come from kennels and need to get used to the home environment before they are rehomed so I spend a lot of time living with greys.

I like all dogs (obviously or why else would my overdraft be the size it is taking in other peoples unwanted dogs!) and do know that commenting on the "alternative" side of breeds I will always annoy and upset people but it is only far that an open discussion is given on threads where people are asking for help.

Personally I think these threads should be banned as you always get the "my wolf is lovely he has only eaten one kid type comment so would be great for your newborn".

The only way to see if a dog is right for you is to visit the rescue, walk the dog, spend time with the dog regardless of breed etc

"The only way to see if a dog is right for you is to visit the rescue, walk the dog, spend time with the dog regardless of breed etc"

Agree completely!

D0oinMeCleanin Sun 07-Oct-12 17:04:30

The only way to see if a dog is right for you is to visit the rescue, walk the dog, spend time with the dog regardless of breed etc <- This.

daisydotandgertie- grin @ labradaughters

No-one said Staffies?

I'm not a dog person IRL, but my DD is a (slowly recovering) dog phobic.
She wouldn't entertain the beautiful, relaxed, love sponge Greyhounds who were representing the Retired Greyhound Rescue. (They were wrapped round my DS like pythons, demanding every scrap of attention he lavisged on them) grin

But my DD got on very well with a beautiful big leggy Stafford at a friends house.
I thought I was seeing things when it tore up to her (brakes not good on wooden floor) and she reached down to hug him.

MissBetseyTrotwood Mon 08-Oct-12 11:46:42

I could have written your OP about 2 years ago. The Doghouse suggested to go Greyhound. We did and have never looked back.

We took our time though. First we visited different Retired Greyhound Trust kennels in the area. Then we chose one we liked the best and visited and walked the dogs there. We asked them to choose which dog they thought would suit us and they picked out Billy. We walked him for a while, and then we knew. The whole process took months.

We have two small boys (5 and 4) and the youngest has SN. They are good with him (because I have taught them the dog's boundaries) and he is good with them (because I have taught him theirs.) It took about 6 months for things to truly settle down though and for him to be really bonded to us. I couldn't hope for a more gentle and affectionate pet now.

He doesn't lick; he touches noses with the DSs when they get in from school and lays his head on my knee when I'm sitting down. As for the power lean... He is a big dog, but a very small character. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now