If you've trained your dog to roll over.....

(25 Posts)
InvisibleHotPinkWeasel Tue 02-Oct-12 13:32:56

Can they do it both ways?

Hully can only role over to the left. If I use the treat and indicate she role to the right than she still rolls left and looks sad that the treat got further away grin

Is she broke? wink

pimmsgalore Tue 02-Oct-12 13:42:25

Pimmsdog is the same he can only roll over to one side, always rolls to my left his right. I wonder if its because I taught him that way first and that is what he associates with the command. I tried it next to a wall, which is what it said in the book, to get him to roll the other way he just rolled up the wall and look confused at me that I would make him roll into a wall

Maybe Pimmsdog is broke to?

Roll over has also broken our down command, he only goes down outside now in the house if you say down he automatically rolls over then looks sad that he didn't get a treat. I blame the kids for that one (he's copying them doing the opposite to what I ask) grin

InvisibleHotPinkWeasel Tue 02-Oct-12 13:49:58

I tried by a wall too. She just lay with her face planted against it looking pained hmm

InvisibleHotPinkWeasel Tue 02-Oct-12 13:50:21

Dc's are BAD examples to dogs.

Saltire Tue 02-Oct-12 13:51:36

Saltiredog just flatly refuses to roll over. he does high 5 though hmm. and paws,and knows the difference between elft paw and right paw!

Little Beardog (now gone to the Happy Hunting Ground) only ever rolled one way. Any attempt to get him to roll clockwise was doomed to failure. It was his one and only trick though and he was always pleased to do it.

<happy thoughts>

InvisibleHotPinkWeasel Tue 02-Oct-12 14:29:54

aaaaw smile

Dearly Departed Dragon Dod would not roll over at all. She considered it beneath her. Her best command was "avert your eyes!" and she would turn round and not look at you grin

pimmsgalore Tue 02-Oct-12 14:46:39

Saltire we have paw (meaning right paw) and other paw (meaning left) if you say other paw first he raises his left.

rogersmellyonthetelly Tue 02-Oct-12 20:08:53

MIne will roll onto her back but not right over. I just say "cute puppy" to her and she shows me her belly with a grin. It's a left over from when she used to do it when she had done something naughty, never had to train her. Then again, I rarely have to train her to do anything, she's a clever little bugger.

tabulahrasa Tue 02-Oct-12 21:40:18

I just tried to teach him it, I watched a video on YouTube and everything... My puppy got stuck on his back and I had to help him over - that counts eh? Lol

InvisibleHotPinkWeasel Tue 02-Oct-12 21:58:19

grin Hully took a while to grasp going all the way over. It counts. Report back once he's got the hang of it whether he can only go one way.

Getting them to stay with their tummy up is good though, makes life easier for the vet wink

tabulahrasa Tue 02-Oct-12 22:13:14

He got his treat anyway because he was trying so hard to follow it, just he's a bit wide still, being all puppy shaped rather than dog shaped. smile either that or he's at it and just wanted a belly rubhmm <suddenly wonders if she was conned>

Canidae Wed 03-Oct-12 19:50:41

My goldie only rolls one way too. Normally she rolls on her back and wiggles around. Not very convincing at playing dead!

musicposy Wed 03-Oct-12 23:18:11

My Jack Russell/ Spaniel x also only rolls one way. She often combines rollover with down, too, whether asked or not.

Then DD1 taught her paw, beg, high five, turn around and bang (play dead). To start with she was quite reliable on them all but recently if you ask for any one of them she will run through the whole lot in quick succession, just to cover all bases.
Stupid dog grin

differentnameforthis Thu 04-Oct-12 07:05:54

differentdog can barely lie down, let alone roll. Although he is very good at standing on his back legs to try to get at food that he shouldn't have. He is definitely broke.

He can only do paws for chocolate too, particularly M&Ms. It's like he has a radar for those.

differentnameforthis Thu 04-Oct-12 07:10:31

Diffdog does sleep on his back, tummy up. Looks very funny when he is running in his sleep! grin

SoggyMoggy Thu 04-Oct-12 07:14:17

SoggyDoggy the Elder only rolls one way, generally as fast as he possibly can. SoggyDoggy the Younger only rolls halfway over before it occurs to him that his belly hasn't been scratched in the last ten seconds or so and whips out Upside Down Sad Dog Look #1.

DuffyMoon Thu 04-Oct-12 07:42:50

musicposy Jack russell/spaniel x !!! a busy dog by any chance grin

musicposy Thu 04-Oct-12 10:04:53

Yes very busy! A little calmer now she is two, but little is the operative word here!

deste Thu 04-Oct-12 22:51:49

My dog can roll over both ways but does have a preference for one way.

pimmsgalore Fri 05-Oct-12 08:13:52

deste from the general consensus on this thread you should be so proud of your dog, he is obviously eligible for the gifted and talented list grin

SrirachaGirl Fri 05-Oct-12 12:25:47

Shonagh (Westie) can only roll to the right. She's like Zoolander...the DC's are determined to make her an ambiturner.

Pudsey she 'ain't.

deste Fri 05-Oct-12 13:23:05

If he's gifted and talented he also would be bottom of the class as he has virtually no recall and does as he pleases. "Dexter rules" as I say. I've just told him he is G&T.

InvisibleHotPinkWeasel Fri 05-Oct-12 13:28:10

deste shock you have the miracle dog!!!!!

fuzzypicklehead Sat 06-Oct-12 11:52:50

Rocket dog can roll over both ways, possibly because I taught him to do it by following the treat? Now he knows the hand gesture for roll over, and usually goes to my right side because I'll treat with my right hand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now