Vet fees

(12 Posts)
Stoney666 Mon 01-Oct-12 21:43:57

Had to take dog to vet with bacterial eye infection. Has given drops and I paid £41.00.
Just looked and can buy inline for £6.00!!!!!!!

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 01-Oct-12 22:58:00

You are paying for the vets time and expertise too. You can ask for a prescription for any medicines, but you are likely to have to pay for that in addition to a consult fee.

InvisibleHotPinkWeasel Mon 01-Oct-12 23:02:00

At my vet the consultation alone would be £30.
Prescriptions are £7

But when you go to vets, you pay for their expertise. hmm

They will need to make a professional diagnosis, including possible tests. Eyes can go wrong very quickly - I would never mess about with an eye problem - straight in to see the vet.

Running the premises, paying vet nurses, all this is not provided by the vet fairy.

Every time a vet gives you a prescription, they are putting their professional reputation on the line, with all the responsibility and accountability that entails.

midori1999 Tue 02-Oct-12 10:13:30

That seems about right to me, £30-£40 consultation fee for most vets (except our bargainous Northern Irish vets who were £14! shock ) and then the cost of the medication.

If you hadn't seen the vet then you wouldn't know for sure what was wrong with your dog or how to treat it would you?

DogsCock Tue 02-Oct-12 10:15:54

41 not bad if includes consultation.

mistlethrush Tue 02-Oct-12 10:16:45

I've spent over £800 in the last 2 weeks.

It's like this -

A woman calls in a plumber when her washing machine breaks down. The plumber arrives, studies the machine, then produces a hammer and gives it a hefty whack.
The washing machine starts working again and the plumber presents a bill for £200.
'Two hundred pounds?' says the woman. 'All you did was hit it with the hammer.'
So the plumber gives her an itemised bill: 'Hitting washing machine with a hammer - £5. Knowing where to hit it - £195.'

tabulahrasa Tue 02-Oct-12 10:20:07

<plays vet top trumps>

I guesstimate (it could be more, but I'm scared to work it out) that my cat has cost around £4000 in the last 18 months...

You're paying for the diagnosis as much as for the treatment. I have yet to take my dog to the vet and come out with change from £50, but he's also always got better.

D0oinMeCleanin Tue 02-Oct-12 15:31:15

My dog had an eye infection bot long ago and it was £28. £18 consultation. £8 for eye drops plus the £2 to a charity thingy they were doing that day for a local rescue.

Move oop north. Actually, no don't. If you all come up here then our prices will go up too.

GoSuckALemon Mon 22-Oct-12 20:58:55

www.locatetv.com/tv/fake-britain/season-3/7594090

Actually, the reason you pay extra from a vet is so you don’t end up with fake veterinary medicines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now