Is there a new puppy thread?

(331 Posts)

If not, could this be one, please?
We have just agreed to offer a home to a 6 week old GSD x collie? pup whose mum was rescued from an Irish dog pound.
We pick him up in a couple of weeks. Time to drag out the crate and chew toys...
He's living in a kennel atm with his mum and siblings so we''l be starting from the top when it comes to toilet training too.
Who else has new puppies and what stage are you up to with them?

Lynand Wed 05-Dec-12 20:15:29

Hi Pidzets i see your Dachs/poodle is well behaved. My two are looking more like Dach/Chihauhas every day and are very naughty. They can get up the stairs but not down and sieze every chance to run up there and then cry. Basil got his tail stuck in the dog door. Pepper became wedged in the stairgate. They ate the squeaker from their toy duck. One of them may squeak if squeezed. If they don't leave the Xmas tree alone i may have them stuffed and hung on it. They use the 'puppy pad' and go out side but also leave plenty of 'presents' around as well. I could out-bend and stretch any gym class. Should have had Ferrets.

SelfRighteousChristmasPants Wed 05-Dec-12 22:01:12

We got Talisker on Saturday and she seems to be settling in well. Almost all poos outside, wees are very hit and miss. She does resemble a bouncing shark though grin Bit more stressful dealing with her as DS is off school ill but not too bad.

Pizdets Sat 08-Dec-12 07:29:01

Lynand, they sound hilarious to me, but then I don't have to live with them! I have made great strides in housetraining this week by getting a mesh puppy pen and keeping him in it ALL THE TIME unless he has my full attention. He's taken to it much better than I thought he would (he's still right next to me, just can't sneak off for a surreptitious wee on the floor) and he's now learning he has to ask to go out.

We've also blocked off the stairs with a box which we can step over, he's a terror with the stairs!

Think it also helps we don't have kids yet (we got him after losing our first pregnancy halfway through this summer, so I am probably some crazy dog lady) so the house is quite calm and he doesn't have much chance to get wound up.

His new trick is to try and take himself home alone if he gets fed up on walks, though, which results in much anguished running and amusement for passers-by.

StuntNun Fri 05-Apr-13 09:49:49

I have been reading this thread with interest. How are you all getting on with your pups now?

Wow, I have just re read this thread StuntNun as it all seems so long ago smile.

Our Border Terrier is 8 months old now and is there abouts fully grown now and gets hairier by the day grin It feels like he has been pretty easy really. He only ever had us up in the night once, was fully house trained under 3 months and has never chewed anything he is not supposed to. He is only crated at night now and that is only really out of habit as it doesn't seem to bother him.

He loves energetic games and long walks but inbetween this he is bone idle. He hasn't stirred this morning yet at all! He is still not fussed by breakfast so hasn't eaten yet..Finally found a food to suit his tricky tum though.

All round he is a fab dog though grandad puppy sitting has turned him into a food beggar as no amount if getting cross has stopped my dad feeding him off his plate. He is still an attention junkie though and therefore recall is patchy - read non existant if anyone about. I am selective about where we go off lead. Shame he can't master that as he is like bloody pudsey when it comes to daft useless tricks and a clicker grin

We wouldn't change him for the world and have enjoyed the puppyhood ride smile

FungusTheBogeyman Sun 07-Apr-13 13:36:07

Can I just say thank you so much for this thread and for all the amazing advice and experiences posted. We picked up our border terrier pup last Sunday and this past week has been a huge learning curve. It has been really reassuring to read about others and for some hope that things will get easier!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now