Are you a Greyhound, Whippet or Lurcher owner? Come and have a seat on the new Pointy Hounds cushion!

(997 Posts)
TheCunnyFunt Wed 29-Aug-12 18:39:36

Pointy hounds include-
Greyhounds (Grunds)
Whippets (Whippys)
Lurchers
Italian Greyhounds (Iggys)
Salukis
Afghans
And any others I have forgotten. If you are a new pointy hound owner, an old and experienced owner or looking into getting one of these fabulous creatures, come and have a seat (that's not taken up with a hound).

Share advice, stories and shopping tips!
AK Creations
Bonnie dogs
GRWE shop
Our very own Scuttle's Milgi coats
Silver Peacock

Jake
I didn’t really want you,
I wasn’t really sure,
And I’ll admit I had my doubts,
When you first came through that door.

Not small, or cute, or fluffy,
With big, soft puppy eyes,
But tall, and thin, and bony,
With bald, pink, bulging thighs.

You weren’t the kind I had in mind,
Not in any way,
“Perhaps it would be better if I took you back today,
Before we know each other,
It really won’t be kind,
To keep you here for one more day,
And then to change my mind.”

But against my better judgement, I decided you could stay,
And quickly I discovered you were kind in every way,
Your gentleness and patience, they really stole the show,
“Why these dogs are wonderful, I must let others know!”

For you’re my gentle giant,
Who just needed the chance,
To show us all what you could be,
To wipe away that history,
And dispel our preconceptions, which put us all to shame,
And so we come to know and love,
What lies beneath that frame.

And now I’ve come to understand,
What I missed right at the start,
That greyhounds need that great deep chest,
To house their great big hearts!
By Denise Dubarbier
smile

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Fri 18-Jan-13 16:58:57

I was given an RGT greyhound care DVD when we were homechecked, and it says when the dog is standing on a flat floor (wood/laminate/tiles etc), you should just be able to slide a piece of paper under the nails. So almost to the floor but just enough of a gap to slide a piece of paper under smile

LostInWales Sat 19-Jan-13 20:27:29

I love the image of Mistlehound and her very polite request for more food. They can be so expressive with their little voices.

I try and keep whippety pups nails short but he still managed to shred my trousers (and legs) trying to avoid his boosters last week. I was so embarrassed going back out into the waiting room with my leg showing!

Just to say we've had a very exciting morning. Since we've had Norty Minx (she arrived back in August) we've only let her off lead at the park once and that was a bit of a disaster - she headed for the woods at Warp Factor 10. Since then, we've let her off regularly at places like the greyhound field and at sighthound playdates where she is safe but fully enclosed. We started going to training classes before Christmas and have been working on our recall - the bond between us is also now much stronger - she is much more focused on me (benefits of clicker and treats!). Anyway, the park was very, very quiet today because of the snow, so we let her off. She had a wonderful time, zooming about, frolicking in the snow, sniffing trees, doing big fast loops, but always with an eye on us, and then came back to us very nicely, though of course looking mega excited and happy. I can't even begin to say how happy I am - the training is really paying off, and for anyone else dithering about going to classes, I'd say go for it. Felt today was really a milestone. grin

mistlethrush Mon 21-Jan-13 09:41:37

Scuttle - that's great! We're really pleased with how Mistlehound is getting on with being off the lead too!

So... we've got our nice made to measure coat for mistlehound. DH walks her in the morning on the way back from school drop off... phoned me up and said that it had started snowing again, so they were turning round... 'You have got her coat on haven't you?''No, she seems quite happy without it' hmm

Cornwall73 Wed 23-Jan-13 15:54:00

Mistletrush is that you? Its Gillydaffodil here (name change after a long break from MN). Don't know if you remember me from the TTC forever threads way back when.

...and I have a gorgeous seven year old retired greyhound called Foxy!

Skullnbones Wed 23-Jan-13 16:23:41

We have just put in an adoption form to scruples...anyone else done this? We have been coveting a whippet for a long time and giving serious thought to if we actually wanted a dog or just the idea. We decided we want onegrin

HolgerDanske Wed 23-Jan-13 19:46:39

Hello every one smile

I'm another one who's been thinking about doggy ownership for several years now. Finally getting to the point where it might soon be possible, and fingers crossed, I've decided on a rescue greyhound. Just joining the club to gain some insight into what might be in store for us smile

mistlethrush Wed 23-Jan-13 22:31:19

Hello Cornwall! Yes, I do remember the name from those threads rather a number of years (yikes) ago! DS is now 7.5 (going on 14) and wearing age 10 clothes! Our new rescue was chosen specifically to give us a good chance of a dog who would like to play with him. Seems to be working well at the moment!

Skullnbones - I had queries out to about 4 different groups when we were looking (they knew) and were homechecked by two in the end. Its scary looking for the right dog - when you're looking for something specific - getting our first dog was much easier as we didn't have to worry as much about having a child in the house all the time (at that stage).

Hello Holger - I'm sure there are some other Greyhound owners here, I'm not quite sure what everyone has as I'm fairly new to the group myself!

Skull, you will be very well looked after by Scruples. They have an excellent reputation, and one of their rehoming people is also a MNetter! I would also recommend Evesham Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue - lots of gorgeous smaller lurchers.

Hello Holger! Welcome - and hope you will soon have a grund on your sofa. We have four grin

Hello Cornwall - can we see pics of Foxy please? Want to admire some new hounds. smile

mistlethrush Thu 24-Jan-13 00:01:05

DH has told me that I'm not allowed to get another... (there's an adorable beddie / whippet cross puppy that I've showed him the picture of, but he's unmoved)

As the saying goes, if there's room on the floor, there's room for one more.... wink

mistlethrush Thu 24-Jan-13 08:40:09

This one would fit quite happily (at the moment at least) - she's only 10" TTS at the moment, although expected to grow to around 20" - she would just fit nicely between the legs of the other one...

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Fri 25-Jan-13 21:18:49

Evening all! Gosh all these new people!

Welcome to the cushion everyone! Hope you found a space inbetween all the various roaching and farting hounds grin

mistlethrush Fri 25-Jan-13 21:35:05

Don't talk to me about farting - she's been at it all evening. I hope we have a more settled night that last night though - something disagreed with her and she got me up hourly from 12.45 - 4.55am last night - I'm really pleased though because she was really clear that she did need to go out and managed to wake me up, which is such a long way to have gone in the less than 3 months we've had her!

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Sat 26-Jan-13 14:29:27

Mistle she sounds like she's naking fantastic progress! You must be so proud of her smile Well done MistleHound!!

DP reckons we should be able to have Sprocket back next week when we're guaranteed not to have more snow smile I'm so excited!!

mistlethrush Sat 26-Jan-13 15:33:13

Grrrr I got told to keep my 'dangerous' dog under control today - she was just happily racing around with a collie and happened to run within 10' of a 3 yo who promptly had hysterics and his mother came stomping up the hill to shout in my face.

I was told that it was 'people like me' that resulted in children getting killed by their dogs. angry

LostInWales Sat 26-Jan-13 17:35:19

Oh mistle, some people are just so bloody ignorant angry.

I got an electric blanket for my bed today, I now know the secret of making a whippet very, very happy grin

LostInWales Sat 26-Jan-13 17:37:56

Forgot to say, DH has been talking about getting a cat, how do I persuade him that a whippet (or even an Iggy) is basically a dog shaped cat? He's not convinced at the moment (I on the other hand have started collecting lists of rescues...)

mistlethrush Sat 26-Jan-13 19:34:57

I would also point out that the whippet doesn't bring 'presents' into the house on a regular basis for him to run around and try to catch.....

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Sun 27-Jan-13 08:45:58

Unfortunately mistle some people are just like that. I once asked a woman to keep control of her (offlead) puppy as it was leaping up at Sprocket (which he hates), and she told me to get a life, if my dog needed a muzzle then I shouldn't walk him where other dogs and children would be hmm

Lost I am very very envy at your electric blanket. I would love an electric blanket sad
A cat? Is whippy boy cat friendly? (of course he isn't! wink grin) oh dear. You'll just have to get another Whippet!

smilingismyfavourite Sun 27-Jan-13 23:52:03

Hello lovely lovely pointy hound people - sorry this could be long!

I lost my gorgeous, gorgeous lab pointer cross just before christmas. Left me totally and utterly heart broken (still). He was only a young boy and was killed in when a visiting member of the family let him out of the house and on to the road sad Now a month on I am thinking, (only thinking mind) about getting another dog. I couldn't bear to get another lab type dog as it would be like trying to replace my boy. I have been doing some research however and I think I would love to have a whippet in my life. Can you lovely people with some experience help me out with some of your experiences of whippets and whether they could be the right dog for me.

I could offer a whippet a largish, safe and enclosed garden. My lab/pointer cross was extremely high energy so I am used to doing lots of walking/exercising, he had a 45 minute walk twice a day plus extra exercise in the garaden or kitchen when training. I also know the basics of dog training and had trained my boy well. I loved working with him. We also have space for a contained indoor dog friendly space while we are out.

Now the possible negatives. I work part time and for three days a fortnight, I work a fairly long day (9 hours). I work short days (no more that 4 hours) for 4 days a fortnight and am at home for 7 days (I am a part time teacher on a 2 week timetable). On the few days I work long hours a friend would come in to let the dog out in the middle of the day. I have a cat (he managed to stand his own with the very, very bouncy labX), two DCs aged 6&7 (who also stood their own with previous dog).

What do you think? I don't think we would be looking at a puppy as I wouldn't be happy, even with someone coming in, to leave him on my long days. Could I have a whippet? Do you think he would fit our lifestyle? Feel so lost not being a dog owner. Thanks xxx

smilingismyfavourite Sun 27-Jan-13 23:53:38

That should say at least two 45 minutes walk a day. It was often more.

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Mon 28-Jan-13 09:20:06

Welcome to the cushion Smiling!

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog, how terribly sad sad
There are a couple of Whippy owners on here who'll be able to tell you much more than I can. My friend has a whippet, she's 2 and absolutely lovely! She's recovering from a slit wrist at the moment and slowly getting her strength back. We have a massive playing field 5 minutes away from us and my friend used to take her on there once a day and she'd belt around like a mad thing and then dash off to bark at squiggles. She'd have about 30 minutes on the field then be knackered and sleep for hours.

She's a lovely dog who adores children too. I have heard (although not sure how true this is) that whippets can be prone to separation anxiety, do you think doggy daycare could be an option for your long days?

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Mon 28-Jan-13 09:24:00

Weird, I don't know why that came up as an angry face, it was meant to be sad confused

I don't see why you shouldn't get a Whippet. Are you thinking of rescue then? If you're happy to say where in the country you are I'm sure someone can point <arf> you in the direction of a good rescue smile

LostInWales Mon 28-Jan-13 12:56:27

Hello smiling, welcome to the cushion grin. So sorry to hear about your last dog, I didn't realise how much space a dog took up in your heart until I had one, you must have been devastated.

I have a lovely whippet boy, he's one year old and probably the best decision I've ever made. He's a very loving and gentle boy, wonderful with children and runs for about 30 minutes at top speed before falling asleep for the rest of the day, preferably with some part of him touching one of his humans wink. It sounds like any rescue would snap you up in a second, they'll also be able to match you with a dog that is ok to be with children and cats. Whilst whippets are awesome have you thought about a lurcher or even a greyhound, you have lots to offer a dog by the sound of things and greyhounds are wonderful and fold up a lot smaller than you would think! (When my children have cleared off and left me some space on the sofa's I'm planning on having some of each wink)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now