supplements for arthritis

(13 Posts)
coccyx Wed 17-Aug-11 18:48:45

Anyone use them for their dog? Vet says elderly greyhound has arthritis, given some analgesia but have seen some owners use a daily supplement.

Scuttlebutter Wed 17-Aug-11 20:24:46

We use Synoquin, which is a canine formulation glucosamine, along with NSAIDs, pain relief and hydrotherapy. The hydrotherapy has been brilliant - she is in noticeably less pain. I just wish we'd started it sooner now.

coccyx Wed 17-Aug-11 20:36:30

do you buy the Synoquin online

Scuttlebutter Wed 17-Aug-11 20:39:02

You can do, though we get ours from the vet.

noddyholder Wed 17-Aug-11 20:39:21

this is brilliant

Ephiny Thu 18-Aug-11 08:29:16

Ours gets a Cartophen injection from the vet every few months (can be done more frequently if needed). This really seems to have done him a lot of good, it's very rare for him to have any stiffness now.

We also do a weekly hydrotherapy session, which I think has helped as well, it really builds up their muscle and flexibility and is very gentle on the joints. Ours was a bit unsure about it at first (he's not a swimmer generally!) but has a great time in the pool now.

pintaloosa Sat 20-Aug-11 08:29:57

We use Cortaflex, natures best Glucosamine Gold, Nature's best Turmeric, Holland and Barret Devils Claw, Holland and Barret Green Lipped mussel, and a Bioflow magnetic collar.

Something in that lot has worked wonders.

coccyx Sat 20-Aug-11 11:55:29

Wow thats a lot!!

GeeinItLaldy Sat 20-Aug-11 12:24:30

Mine has Vetri-Flex which we get from the vet (and is paid for by his insurance) but basically it's a combination of glucosamin, chondroitin and green lipped mussel. He also gets Omega 3 fish body oils, vitamin E and Ester C (natural anti-inflammatory) daily.

I have no idea which one works, or whether it's the combination of them all but he's had severe artritis for 5 years (since he was 2), exercises normally, doesn't show signs of lameness and doesn't need any sort of anti-inflammatory/painkiller so we keep shovelling them into him.

coccyx Sat 20-Aug-11 14:36:00

Never heard of green lipped mussel or EsterC. i need to have a search.
Glad it is working for your dog.

GeeinItLaldy Sat 20-Aug-11 15:54:32

Ester C is a form of vitamin C but can be given in much higher doses as it doesn't upset the digestive system like Vit C does. You can buy it from Holland and Barrett or Healthspan.co.uk

pintaloosa Sat 20-Aug-11 17:59:10

ooh, yes. omega 3 fish oils, that's on our list too.

our dog is 6 years old with arthritis following a leg injury. with the supplements , he is totally sound and runs around like crazy. only if he has had a walk of 4 hrs or so and then been keeping still in the car does he have a slight limp when he first gets up, then we rest him the next day.

the natures best glucosamine gold has lots of stuff in as well as glucosamine - chondritin, MSM, rosehips, ginger and quercetin. I grind the pills with a pestle and mortar to make them easier to get in his system.

maya10delmar Fri 13-May-16 13:43:24

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now