What's the best name you have heard for a dog??

(311 Posts)
scarlettlips Fri 05-Aug-11 20:10:16

Today whist out for a walk...a dog owner was yelling for her dog in the park. At speed a Jack Russell called....Shackleton...comes flying out of some bushes.

Big name, small dog! IMO Brilliant grin

{{Appeals to NMHQ to add a Dog's Name Section blush just for fun..please!}}

topbannana Sat 09-Mar-13 18:29:37

I have posted this before but one day I WILL own a Clumber spaniel and I shall call it "Q"
I used to have a cat called Kevin and harbour designs to call my next spaniels Sprocket and Flange (the next dog is "mine" so will be called Sprocket, leaving DH with Flange- annoyingly he has vetoed this hmm

Grannylipstick Sat 09-Mar-13 19:24:55

Our current tiny yorkie is called Winnie. We named her after winning some money. Our previous yorkie was poppy. The one before that was a long haired dauchound called noddy. Named after noddy holder from slade.

lookingforbaubles Sat 09-Mar-13 19:49:33

we had two chickens named Thelma and Louise

our next lab will be named Vladimir

greenandcabbagelooking Sat 09-Mar-13 21:08:23

My friend has a snake called Slid Vicious.

greenandcabbagelooking Sat 09-Mar-13 21:11:02

Oh, and same friend has many cats, named after wines!

haveapear Sat 09-Mar-13 21:21:22

I have a cross breed dog but was given his family tree when we bought him, his grandad was called Gay Star Dancer !

I wished I'd put more thought into naming him actually as we chose Bailey and its actually very common.

ToomuchWaternotWine Sat 09-Mar-13 21:54:11

Met someone with two massive Irish wolfhounds called Cork and Mayo.

Had a friend who named cats after unusual malt whiskies: lagavulin and teaninich were two, I think there was an Cardhu too.

Love the name Sirius for a black lab. We have a black lab (named by his first owners) called Aramis (from the 3 musketeers, not the dodgy blokes aftershave) and I wonder if his brothers in the litter were Athos and Porthos.

neontetra Sat 09-Mar-13 22:08:36

I know a goldfish called Rachel.

Lozislovely Sat 09-Mar-13 22:35:19

Ringo!!

Wasnt it Jeremy Clarkson who warned about naming animals in pairs in case one of each pair dies and you end up with Gilbert and Hedges smile

seeker Sun 10-Mar-13 08:14:11

George and Benson would be fine though!!!

higgle Sun 10-Mar-13 15:16:20

Our old PBGV was called Marston. When we got him the breeder said the main irritant of owning one ( in those days when there were not many about)
was that people would always ask what sort of cross breed they were, so when the inevitable question was asked we could reply "Marston's Pedigree" In fact I had a little key ring fob on hiscollar to drive home the point.

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersFiancee Mon 11-Mar-13 17:55:53

Awww it was this thread that helped me pick my dogs name smile retured Greyhound, he used to be Brett, he's now Sprocket grin

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersFiancee Mon 11-Mar-13 17:56:34

Retured? Retired, that should be blush

missmash Mon 11-Mar-13 18:06:17

A beautiful Afgan called Colin.

skratta Mon 11-Mar-13 18:12:24

I know a cat called Schroedinger! He's called Rodie for short!

I met someone with a chihuahua called Microbe, and another with a Border Collie Cross called Yankee Doodle, but he recalls to Yank or Doodle best, and they call him Doodlebug for fun sometimes.

Knew a Staffie x Chesapeake Bay Retriever called Fook. Now shout that with a slight accent across the park and it sounds odd. Very odd. They call him Little Fook for short. Should add, they are from Gabon, a name in their language, and when the found out why everyone laughed all the time, they started calling him Little Fook as the truth dawned!

skratta Mon 11-Mar-13 18:16:14

Oh yeah, my current dog WAS called Tinkerbell. She is now called a sensible name, but she responded to a Ti sound especially (we worked out that those names got the best response, with a hard Ti) so DH did wonde about calling her Tipsy. I vetoed. She has a nice name now!

Owllady Mon 11-Mar-13 18:16:59

On that walking with dogs documentary there was a dog called Nigel smile

G1nebra Mon 11-Mar-13 18:22:58

Schroedinger for a cat! excellent, my favourite so far.

FirstUpBestDressed Mon 11-Mar-13 21:57:13

A wee Glaswegian border terrier called Shug....

A posher pug/beagle cross called Douglas...don't think he gets Doug for short though!

WormCanner Mon 11-Mar-13 22:04:05

Barkis, after the character in David Copperfield

TrinityRhino Mon 11-Mar-13 22:05:43

up the road our lovely neighbour has a gorgeous springer spaniel called Glen

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersFiancee Mon 11-Mar-13 23:59:03

I know a Whippet called Brian.

SoYo Tue 12-Mar-13 02:13:42

We have a Betty & friends have a choc lab called Bisto

papalazaru Tue 12-Mar-13 03:25:06

Our beagle mix is called Sherlock. And I have friends with a whippet called 'Divo'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now