Born to be different: Turning 9

(37 Posts)
MuffinToptheMule Tue 05-May-09 20:59:31

Starts in a few minutes.

smellen Tue 05-May-09 21:00:41

Thanks for the reminder. Watched the last series, really wonderful kids and parents.

smellen Tue 05-May-09 21:00:46

Thanks for the reminder. Watched the last series, really wonderful kids and parents.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 05-May-09 21:06:57

Just watching turning 8 on demand so will watch this one tomorrow!

MuffinToptheMule Tue 05-May-09 21:50:04

People were right last week, she is pregnant.

5inthebed Tue 05-May-09 21:58:03

So sad for Williams mam. She is such a brave woman. I cried when she was on before.

lisad123 Tue 05-May-09 22:04:03

i was right was a baby bump. Hope this LO is ok though, and has ok the same disorder as beutiful shelby. I think shelby is a real sweetie though

GreenEggsAndSpam Tue 05-May-09 22:06:30

Darn, I forgot this was on. Anyone know when it is being repeated? Anyone care to give a brief synopsis smile?

lisad123 Tue 05-May-09 22:08:51

channel 4 plus1 if you have sky

lisad123 Tue 05-May-09 22:09:28

poor williams mum, they are only young crying again now. God im a mess atm

GreenEggsAndSpam Tue 05-May-09 22:13:58

No sky unfortunately. What's the news with William's family?

brittonc Tue 05-May-09 22:14:12

lisad123,

Cienna is absolutley fine. No problems at all. Shelbie is doing really well at the moment too.

lisad123 Tue 05-May-09 22:17:16

Williams mum has been told she has MS

Cienna is beutiful, i was about 10 mintues behide everyone else as the phone had rang! grr LOL

Wouldnt exspect shelby to be anything but by that cheeky smile LOL

lisad123 Tue 05-May-09 22:18:12

do you know the family brittonc then? Trying to work out how recent these docs were?>

lottiejenkins Tue 05-May-09 22:22:24

brittonc please tell Shelbies Mum that i think she is a complete inspiration. I will continue to remember Shelbie and all the other children in my prayers. My ds has special needs but nothing like Shelbie. I feel very grateful to have my Wilf (pics on my profile) I was crying when Emily said she had special needs as God makes everyone different! Those children are amazing.............

brittonc Tue 05-May-09 22:22:32

Vicki is my sister.

brittonc Tue 05-May-09 22:26:42

Hi lottiejenkins,

I'll pass on your message when I next see Vicki. Thanks.

lisad123 Tue 05-May-09 22:28:09

that makes sense brittonc, well im glad shelbie is doign well, she is such a sweetie in the doc and seems to bring such pleasure to Vicki and her family, oh and love her smile. love to your family and hope she continues to go from strength to strength.

brittonc Tue 05-May-09 22:34:26

lisad123,

She's certainly our little star. I just hope that people will now see that even someone as disabled as Shelbie can still have a great quality of life and can bring so much to those who know her. You've only got to see how many times she has fought the odds to know she wants to be here!

I'll pass your message onto Vicki.

lisad123 Tue 05-May-09 22:40:04

i hope people see that too. I used to work with disabled children for many years and they still bring a smile to my face when i rememeber all their little things they used to say or do grin
Please send my love to vicki and family. Cant wait for next update

brittonc - add my love too please smile. Vicki is such an inspiration and Shelbie is a happy little girl, and part of such an obviously happy family.

brittonc Tue 05-May-09 22:47:19

Definatley! You can tell that Shelbie knows what she's doing cos she has that cheeky grin! lol!!

I hope Ricochet continue with the series.

brittonc Tue 05-May-09 22:54:03

Hangingbellyofbabylon,

I certainly will. I'm glad people are seeing that family as a whole are all happy. You'd be surprised the number of people saying it's not fair on the other kids...or Vicki shouldn't have even had any more after Shelbie. None of the kids go without! People are just seeing a fraction of what goes on. As hard as it might be Vicki and Nick spend as much time and are just as devoted to all the others as they are to Shelbie.

lisad123 Tue 05-May-09 23:02:43

people never fail to surprise me with how rude they can be! angry At the end of the day Shelbie is beutiful and brings joy to her family. I dont know the risks of vicki havingh another child with special needs, but its her choice although I know we are at risk of having a child with SNs so have decided it stick with our 2, but only I can make that choice, same for Vicki.

brittonc Tue 05-May-09 23:16:34

She certainly is. And it's not just the family Shelbie brings joy to. Anyone who spends time with her takes away something.

The risks of Vicki having a child with trisomy 9p are about 1 in 4. But Vicki loves kids and always wanted a big family. Some might see it as selfish because they think the child would have no quality of life. The truth is, they have a different quality of life. Shelbie will never walk or talk but she has her own way of communicating and she has a smile that can melt anyone. If Vicki did have another child with the same condition she would just get on with it and deal with it in the same way she has with Shelbie...though I think Cienna will be the last one....this time!

brittonc Tue 05-May-09 23:16:54

She certainly is. And it's not just the family Shelbie brings joy to. Anyone who spends time with her takes away something.

The risks of Vicki having a child with trisomy 9p are about 1 in 4. But Vicki loves kids and always wanted a big family. Some might see it as selfish because they think the child would have no quality of life. The truth is, they have a different quality of life. Shelbie will never walk or talk but she has her own way of communicating and she has a smile that can melt anyone. If Vicki did have another child with the same condition she would just get on with it and deal with it in the same way she has with Shelbie...though I think Cienna will be the last one....this time!

saintlydamemrsturnip Tue 05-May-09 23:18:47

"She's certainly our little star. I just hope that people will now see that even someone as disabled as Shelbie can still have a great quality of life and can bring so much to those who know her. You've only got to see how many times she has fought the odds to know she wants to be here!"

Hear hear - my son attends an SLD/PMLD school and it was lovely to see a child with very profound disabilities being portrayed so positively.

People always say that about siblings!

SnortyBartFast Tue 05-May-09 23:20:31

sad
i missed this tonight. it was so heart warmig last week.

verygreenlawn Wed 06-May-09 07:30:47

I love this programme - I love the fact it allows the parents and children to have their say, there's no "expert" commenting, just the families themselves, and you can so see the pride the families have in their little ones. I wish all of them all the best.

LadyAlex666 Mon 18-Apr-11 15:23:37

Will there be a 'turning 10' programme? I so want to catch up and see how 'our' guys are doing, have watched this from the beginning and so want to see a follow up!

spangles64 Tue 27-Sep-11 20:16:38

27/09/2011 Shelbie is on life support as of last week. she suffered pneumonia and further complications. she needs your prayers please.

Oh no I will be thinking of her.

smithylovesme Tue 27-Sep-11 20:55:34

Praying for Shelbie

lisad123 Tue 27-Sep-11 22:56:57

oh no sad

mycatsaysach Wed 28-Sep-11 08:32:52

poor shelbie xx hope she pulls through x

lisad123 Wed 28-Sep-11 11:31:02

please keep us updated, anyone. I have posted news on SN board too, as many of the posters there dont leave safety of SN board wink

ashleighj Wed 07-Aug-13 08:01:13

Brittonic
I hope Shelbie's ok

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now