Damiola, Our Loved Boy on now BBC1

(17 Posts)
SoleBizzz Mon 07-Nov-16 20:36:20

Anybody watching?

sad

OliviaBensonOnAGoodDay Mon 07-Nov-16 21:21:23

Me. Just keep crying. sad

I think i was too young to understand the case at the time. DP wasn't in the UK yet, he's watching in silence.

Damilola would have been 26 now. I wonder what he would have done, who he would have been.

MistyMeena Mon 07-Nov-16 21:41:59

Yes, so, so sad sad

youngestisapsycho Mon 07-Nov-16 21:44:52

I can't.... the advert for it made me cry.

EmmaMacGill Mon 07-Nov-16 21:50:15

Can't watch it. I can remember seeing it on the news when it happened and it really touched me. he seemed like such a sweet little boy and such a wretched way to die, it's just sickening. That poor boy and his poor family

Pud2 Mon 07-Nov-16 22:00:14

Heartbreaking

SoleBizzz Mon 07-Nov-16 22:03:05

His Mother was such a wonderful Lady. Died young. ..

The convicted killers claim to be innocent. One if them held up a sign outside of the court .REAL JUSTICE FOR DAMIOLIA....shock

Vixxfacee Mon 07-Nov-16 22:45:24

Hey Sole.

This was so sad, I never realised the full story. He was only 4 years younger than me and that estate wasn't too far from me. Poor kid.

His dad did not come across well at all.

8 years is nothing.

SoTheySentMeA Mon 07-Nov-16 22:46:46

Cried through loads of it. I was growing up on a south London estate exactly like that one at the time it happened. Not in Peckham, but not a million miles away. The sad fact is a large portion of the community knew who did it and stayed silent. The gang the killers were in was an incredibly scary group of kids, they did some really awful things, and everyone was afraid of them. That poor little lad, it still gets me how scared he must have been. What a lonely and dismal place to lie bleeding to death. The testimony of the man who found him is so sad. I always felt so sorry for Mrs Taylor. They just couldn't know what they were moving into sad

Ditsyprint40 Mon 07-Nov-16 22:50:30

I cried throughout; absolutely heartbreaking.

dottypotter Tue 08-Nov-16 14:57:27

yes very sad. I wonder why they thought they could come to England and get a council house just like that though?

SoleBizzz Tue 08-Nov-16 17:39:54

Chatting to an online American friend today who saud if Trump wins he is definitely leaving and coming to the UK. You get free house and money here he said....

SoleBizzz Tue 08-Nov-16 17:40:17

That's how media tells it in other countries I guess.

JustDanceAddict Tue 08-Nov-16 20:55:58

So sad. What a waste of a young life.

NellWilsonsWhiteHair Tue 08-Nov-16 20:57:34

Hard viewing. sad

I wonder why they thought they could come to England and get a council house just like that though?

Quite probably that would have been their experience (either personal or observed) when they came to England in the 1970s?
Certainly I personally know people who came to London (though mostly from elsewhere in the UK) in the 1970s and early 1980s who got council places quite easily - usually by being willing to accept places deemed 'hard to let'.

Social housing hasn't always been as difficult to access as it is now. Different levels of stock, different levels of demand.

nancy75 Tue 08-Nov-16 21:00:35

Weren't they here getting medical help for their other child? Whatever the reason what happened was awful & tragic. Equally as awful as another poster said above, an awful lot of people knew who did it, but in those places nobody talks to the police ( I grew up nearby )

Nanasueathome Tue 08-Nov-16 21:02:03

This is one incident that has always stayed with me
That poor, poor boy
I would not be able to watch, just seeing the trailer upset me greatly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now