Anyone watching The Moonstone?

(11 Posts)
Lucydogz Tue 01-Nov-16 16:27:30

I was looking forward to this, but it just feels a bit lifeless so far. It also jars that Betteridge is played by a black actor, for no particular reason that I can see, apart from a dose of political correctness.

MitzyLeFrouf Tue 01-Nov-16 17:51:29

Ooohh I didn't know about this! I love The Moonstone. Which channel was it on?

purplepandas Tue 01-Nov-16 17:57:40

Oooh, keeping an eye on this too. I had no idea that this was on. Which channel?

Lucydogz Tue 01-Nov-16 18:01:04

The BBC

Panicmode1 Tue 01-Nov-16 19:22:20

I watched about 5 minutes, thought it was horribly clunky and turned it off. I love the Moonstone, but don't want to watch it being butchered!

Gatekeeper Tue 01-Nov-16 19:29:14

It got a bit better after 15 minutes but not a patch on the film version with Greg Wise and Lesley Sharpe

Gatekeeper Tue 01-Nov-16 19:33:24

Peter Vaughan was wonderful as Betteridge. Really don't know why they have chosen the actor for the BBC version other than for PC reasons

Gatekeeper Tue 01-Nov-16 20:34:46

Have just watched a bit of part two which I recorded...absolute tripe. Only decent.thing was the very pretty teacup that was shown being filled with tea when the copper was there.
Cancelled rest of recordings

Andrewofgg Sun 06-Nov-16 14:10:50

The black Betteredge just did not work, and neither did the sanitised Miss Clack; both I think the BBC being p.c. And their was too much rewriting of the order of events.

Still, it might lead some viewers to read the book, which is one of the best novels in the language. And if you do, move on to Armadale and No Name which are not as well known as they ought to be.

DudeWheresMyVulva Sun 06-Nov-16 22:58:08

The Moonstone is my favourite novel ever, and I just love the way Wilkie Collins so amazingly creates such characters as Miss Clack.

I was cautious but keen for the new BBC version. But could not cope with the fairly drastic change of Betteridge as well as the other clunkiness. Why mess with it like this? Why change orders of events and the very essence of critical characters like this? I mean, just why? What is the point of that?

I was baffled and had to turn it off. Okay, a screen adaptation is rarely as good (Remains of the Day and The Quiet American I think are two screen versions that are as exquisite as the books). But I expected better than that.

FenellaMaxwell Sun 06-Nov-16 23:05:17

Watched 3/4 of the first episode and gave up - clunky, awkward, dull and terribly poorly cast.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now