Ordinary lies

(85 Posts)
The80sweregreat Wed 19-Oct-16 14:58:06

on BBC one on Tuesday nights.
It was on last year with Jason Manford amongst others and I really enjoyed all the little stories and found it quite gripping. Watched yesterday and felt it wasn't as good. Jill Halfpenny is always good value, but the man character was very annoying and it seemed to drag a bit, until the end when something finally happened! Did anyone else watch?

mouldycheesefan Wed 19-Oct-16 14:59:44

I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to next week it was excellent

CrazyDuchess Wed 19-Oct-16 15:00:57

Yes! I was waiting for a thread to pop up. I really enjoyed it, but thought the man was a little OTT.... looking forward to next week

I didn't see the previous series - shame it isn't on iPlayer

The80sweregreat Wed 19-Oct-16 15:18:30

Crazy, i I must admit that the ending was different and i liked that, but the main man in it was OTT, i agree. Shame, as last years was so good. If the first ones are on dvd, its worth getting. They were all really good little stories.

absolutelynotfabulous Wed 19-Oct-16 15:43:24

I really liked it, and I've got an unseemly crush on the Man (Neil from Happy Valley. Yay!).

Thought it was good. Glad something happened in the end. Thought it may have been a gay fling between Halfpenny and her female visitor, thoughblush.

OhNoNotMyBaby Wed 19-Oct-16 15:46:27

Can you tell me what happened pls? I lost interest halfway through and missed what happened at the end - other than he had a pint of lager and then went back to telling jokes....

Optimist1 Wed 19-Oct-16 16:09:15

OhNo - I just typed a couple of paragraphs outlining what happened and realised it would probably be quicker for you to watch it on iPlayer, if possible (you know you can fast forward to where you stopped watching?). Quite a lot was said, with references to things that had happened in the past and I don't think a written description would do it justice. Well worth seeing, IMO.

OhNoNotMyBaby Wed 19-Oct-16 16:30:58

Thanks Optimist1. Can't be arsed.... wink

Optimist1 Wed 19-Oct-16 17:17:50

OK then, OhNo - very brief outline follows ...

He saw her at home with the woman who'd appeared in the earlier video footage and two men. Just talking. He headed home. Got home to find them all leaving by car. Followed them (unnoticed) into city centre. They accosted a middle aged man and accused him of arranging online to meet a 14yr old girl with a view to taking her to a hotel for sex. They filmed the encouter, including his denial and subsequent admission of guilt and said they were taking their film to the police. His wife spots our man and they have an emotional exchange. It becomes clear that their daughter had been groomed by a paedophile and they hadn't found out till afterwards. Groomer had got off with it (not sure whether he got a suspended sentence, was found not guilty or never charged, but whichever it was both parents feel incredibly guilty they hadn't been able to protect her). Wife felt this was the only way she could cope with her guilt for not protecting their girl. Husband told her that their son could be accused of a sex crime because he (16) was having sex with a girl from across the road (13/14). Wife horrified; wanted to know how her husband knew. Husband admitted to the filming. Hugs all round. No more lies.

I've probably left out chunks, but there you go. HTH smile

CrazyDuchess Wed 19-Oct-16 19:02:46

Thanks the80s I will try and track them down! grin

Also agree not the ending I was hoping for, almost felt like it jumped the shark with the wife and daughters revelations, and didn't feel enough time was spent on the son, but what can you do in an hour.

Also not sure I'd be so chilled with my husband spying on me....

The80sweregreat Wed 19-Oct-16 19:32:58

Crazy, the first series is on amazon. The writer also wrote Clocking Off which was a similar series on BBC years ago with John Simm.
The Street was another series that had this format. I think i prefer smaller stories than long dramas spread over 8 episodes that need concentration. Like the missing, ( although i will attempt to stick with that) !

DiegeticMuch Wed 19-Oct-16 19:49:13

I loved it. I thought it was faithful to last year's superb original - mundane workplace, unexceptional people...but all that stuff bubbling under the surface!

The Belinda revelation in last night's ep was a real surprise - I do like a little twist!

Great cast.

Looking forward to Ash's story.

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Wed 19-Oct-16 21:29:08

I enjoyed it, but preferred the first series.

GrumbleBumble Wed 19-Oct-16 23:12:22

absolutelynot you are not alone I've had a serious crush on the lovely Con O'Neill since 1990 , I was a very happy lady when Dancin' thru the Dark was finally released on DVD a couple of years ago.

MrsSiba Thu 20-Oct-16 01:22:48

Thank you to whoever said the man is from Happy Valley. I couldn't place him. Thought it was Lofty from eastenders at one point blush He is extremely confident to hold the floor at work with his jokes.

I initially thought Belinda was having a gay affair and found the ending interesting. She took the cameras in the house surprisingly well. I would be livid.

Looking forward to next week's episode.

OhNoNotMyBaby Thu 20-Oct-16 09:07:00

Thank you very much Optimist1. Wow, I hadn't seen that coming.

Liiinoo Thu 20-Oct-16 18:02:38

I thought it dragged a bit but overall it was good. I loved the bit where he downed the pint, totally not what I expected. If last years series is anything to go by it will get better as it goes along and we see how all the different stories fit together.

And while we are having a Con O'Neill love-in can I put in a good word for Joel Fry, he's a very versatile actor. I cannot wait for his episode.

snozzlemaid Thu 20-Oct-16 18:28:47

Another Con O'Neill fan here. I was so in love with him after seeing Dancin Thru The Dark.
I thought it was a great episode and look forward to the rest of the series.

southeastdweller Thu 20-Oct-16 18:47:07

I thought it was a strong opening and thought-provoking but the sub-plot about the son felt contrived and unnecessary.

MoonlightMojitos Thu 20-Oct-16 23:23:30

Oh I LOVED the last series and was raving to everyone in work about how they should watch it but was quite disappointed by this episode, hoping it gets better. Wasn't boring enough to lose interested but wasn't gripped by it either.

2rebecca Fri 21-Oct-16 14:35:46

I enjoyed it but found him immensely irritating and too OTT as a character which made it all unbelievable. Rickie Gervais is a spoof character in the office, you aren't meant to model office workers on him.

Davros Sat 22-Oct-16 23:03:03

Enjoyed it but it was intense. The main character Joe, is that Con O'Neill?, is Val, the tranny club owner in Uncle.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 23-Oct-16 07:25:50

I thought it was excellent and both dh and I said it was similar to Clocking Off, I didn't realise it was by the same writer.

CrazyDuchess Sun 23-Oct-16 14:02:46

Okay - I binged the first season and actually thinking prefer this one. I couldn't get past the third episode where the employee hooked up with the bosses daughter <shudder> it seemed all wrong the way he just disappeared into the sunset.

PopFizz Sun 23-Oct-16 17:30:23

I really enjoyed it, almost as much as last year. Love con O'Neill from his cucumber episodes too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now