The Collection - Amazon Prime

(14 Posts)
tribpot Sun 11-Sep-16 16:40:17

I don't think there's already a thread for this show, apologies if so.

Is anyone watching it? I thought it looked intriguing when I saw it on Amazon's site. It's about a Parisian fashion house in the aftermath of WW2. I was hoping for an updated version of The House of Elliot, gorgeous frocks and dastardly goings-on behind the scenes.

So far it has been bloody hard going. It seems to be unremittingly dark - yes obviously Paris in 1945 wasn't exactly a fairytale but everyone basically hates everyone else (with the Americans being annoyingly upbeat) and the fabulous Frances de la Tour is basically playing a monstrous old bag.

I've stuck with it for two eps but not sure how much longer I can take it, unless anyone else in MN fancies plunging in too!

TheHiphopopotamus Sun 11-Sep-16 18:31:54

I was hoping for an updated version of The House of Elliot, gorgeous frocks and dastardly goings-on behind the scenes

grin I saw your thread title and came on to say the same but you beat me to it. Loved House of Elliott.

It was alright, I suppose. I wish Amazon would release it all in one go though, because I forget to watch it. It's sometimes easier to watch when it's all there, but I'll reserve judgement til I've seen a few more episodes, I think. I also love France's de la Tour.

tribpot Sun 11-Sep-16 18:38:19

Yes, I would rather be able to binge watch a la OITNB, but Amazon does seem to prefer the weekly format. I suppose they have a vested interest in getting repeat traffic to the website, not least because they have so much paid-for video content to promote.

It doesn't help that the male lead is really just a total shitbag, and his wife (aka Daughter of Streep) doesn't get enough to do.

jay55 Sun 11-Sep-16 20:13:42

Man I wish the BBC had brought back house of Elliot instead of some of the sitcoms.

tribpot Sun 11-Sep-16 21:11:11

Yes, it would be brilliant. Esp they could fast forward the story 20 years to about 1945, et voila The Collection: London Edition without all the angst and people having their family members beaten up for their own good. I don't see Bea doing that to Evie or vice versa.

absolutelynotfabulous Tue 13-Sep-16 09:13:52

I enjoyed it, but I didn't really get itblush. It's beautiful to look at, though-all those high ceilings and blue paintgrin.

I haven't a clue who the body is, or the motive behind his murder. I don't understand why redhaired "model" is in it so much, and I don't know why gay(?) brother was besten up.

absolutelynotfabulous Tue 13-Sep-16 09:14:30

beaten.

Sunnymeg Tue 13-Sep-16 17:25:13

At the moment it is a drama where everyone has secrets, but some of them need to start coming out to keep the dramatic imperative going.

tribpot Tue 13-Sep-16 17:37:59

So as far as I can tell, the gay bro was beaten up so he would think twice about cruising for sailors. Only the beater-upper kept gay bro's watch, or something, which meant there was evidence he was paid (the fact he isn't actually gay is a bit of a giveaway). Naturally bad bro decided to kill the beater-upper, isn't that what's happened to him?

Red haired model seems almost as if she might be gay bro's muse, I suppose her story will include who the father of her baby is. I assume she's also going to be the toast of the new collection if anyone ever gets around to designing it.

Sunnymeg Wed 14-Sep-16 12:22:15

Does anyone else think that the red haired model and her mum will turn out to be Jewish and were possibly hidden by someone in the Sabine family during the war years? Also I don't understand about the American wife, where was she during the occupation of Paris? I get the impression that they are not newlyweds, so did her husband have to assist the Germans to ensure her safety?

tribpot Wed 14-Sep-16 12:53:43

I wonder if the American wife has French citizenship? Surely a family with this much wealth, who appear to have stayed in Paris during the occupation, must have been collaborators?

They are not giving Irene Jacob (mother of red haired model) enough to do - so I hope she does have a back story that will give her the chance to do some proper acting.

tribpot Sat 17-Sep-16 16:00:03

Well, another week, another bleak tale where nothing very much happens.

We learn that Paul made trips to Berlin in the war so he's not going to turn out to be a boy scout. Nina got her hair cut. And it seems like we might finally have some dresses to look at next week.

Ah man you got my hopes up. I loved the House of Elliott and Jack

tribpot Sat 17-Sep-16 16:03:47

Well maybe next week if there are some fabulous garments it might be more like The House of Elliot?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now