Can someone explain why they think game of thrones is sexist, I don't see it

(12 Posts)
mamapants Fri 26-Aug-16 07:26:49

I've seen game of thrones accused of sexism repeatedly.
I just can't see it. What fantastic and varied female characters there are.
Passes the bechdel test.
Women in power in all the lands.
What am I missing?

JedRambosteen Fri 26-Aug-16 07:33:25

The many, many scenes where naked women are used like wallpaper in the background of scenes, particularly when they are having sex and it is totally irrelevant to the plot - just for starters. Gratuitous objectification of women & very much for the male gaze. Oh yes, the way Khaleesi is enslaved, raped and dragged around like a piece of meat in season 1. I liked Arya and some of the other female charcters but struggled to get past the first season & gave up esrly in S2.

LolaStarr Fri 26-Aug-16 07:39:44

I think a lot of the nudity is unnecessary and doesn't really add to the story, but there is male nudity as well as female (admittedly not as much!) I do think most of the strongest characters are the women though so I wouldn't say it's sexist!

neonrainbow Fri 26-Aug-16 07:41:52

All the raping going on. Rape Rape everywhere. I haven't seen much of the TV show but I read the books. Young children being described as whores. Aside from the fact he's a terrible writer, he just fills up pages and pages of degradation of women and sexist language and casual misogyny. People say "that's how it was in the olden days". It's a fictional series. We never had dragons in the olden days. And as pp said every time I turned on the TV show there's naked women for no discernable reason.

MorrisZapp Fri 26-Aug-16 07:43:40

My nephew calls it Game of Tits.

BeingATwatItsABingThing Fri 26-Aug-16 07:46:32

I watched episode one. There was already unecessary nudity in that. I never bothered again.

magicstar1 Fri 26-Aug-16 07:49:12

I find that the more the seasons go on, the more women come to the fore, and gain power.

Lilaclily Fri 26-Aug-16 07:51:06

Unnecessary stories that aren't even in the books like Cersei's brother raping her over their dead sons body
Even the author wasn't impressed

www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2610015/Game-Of-Thrones-author-George-RR-Martin-hits-TV-shows-infamous-crypt-rape-scene.html

neonrainbow Fri 26-Aug-16 08:00:35

Oh how ironic that Martin didn't like a rape scene not of his own construction but had plenty of his own scattered throughout his books. He's more upset about the misportrayal of his characters than about yet again a female character being casually raped.

CaptainBrickbeard Fri 26-Aug-16 08:08:31

The amount of rape in the books is really upsetting. The women have come to power in the tv series now but there was a lot of sexplanation and gratuitous nudity in the earlier seasons. But in the books, rape is so frequent and casual, it is hard to read. It's such a great story and I love a lot about it but it is rife with misogyny.

NigellasGuest Fri 26-Aug-16 09:02:20

The TV version has become less and less sexist as it has progressed. Especially with the last season with Lily Allen's brother's sister. (Can't remember character names)! Yes earlier seasons were awful - mainly because of the brothel if I recall correctly. That's all gone now though I think?

DixieNormas Fri 26-Aug-16 09:14:11

Yes definitely gets better in the later seasons

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now