Did anyone else see The Watchman last night?

(30 Posts)
SuburbanRhonda Thu 25-Aug-16 23:45:20

Jesus it was so tense! I normally can't watch violence, especially when it's something you can imagine happening in real life, but the story was riveting. The actor who played Carl was brilliant - I felt like I was in his head, feeling every awful moment with him as the situation unfolded.

Anyone else?

LocalEditorMerton Thu 25-Aug-16 23:59:03

I saw it and thought it one of THE best one-off dramas I've seen for yonks. Boy was it dark though :-(.

Lilybensmum1 Fri 26-Aug-16 00:12:44

It was really good, what do you think happened to him, I hated it when he took his watch and ring off and lined them up by his phone!

RCOR Fri 26-Aug-16 00:13:35

Just watched it tonight. Brilliant. Great to see a good one off drama. I wanted Carl to channel his inner Al Capone. Maybe that was the cheeky grin I thought I glimpsed at the end.

Hidingtonothing Fri 26-Aug-16 00:16:11

Everything went wrong last night and I missed it sad just checked catch up and it's there so will watch it tomorrow. Looked fantastic, I'd been really looking forward to it, love Stephen Graham.

Lorelei76 Fri 26-Aug-16 00:16:45

I watched ten mins and wasn't in the mood
One for catch up
His daughter whining didn't do much to help
But I do love a good drama so I'll watch on catch up

CoolCarrie Fri 26-Aug-16 03:31:23

It was brilliant, he is such a great actor and plays interesting characters in everything he does.

SuburbanRhonda Fri 26-Aug-16 07:47:58

lily, I think it was clear what was going to happen. You saw what the drug dealers were like - they had no qualms. It was just so sad - he tried to do the right thing but it all just went horribly wrong.

Not seen Stephen Graham in much but he was spot on in this. He face showed everything he was going through.

GetAHaircutCarl Fri 26-Aug-16 07:49:58

It was excellent.

And could just as easily have worked as a stage play or a radio drama. Brilliant.

StereophonicallyChallenged Fri 26-Aug-16 07:52:41

Honestly, I thought it was dross but did persevere to the end as I luffs SG grin I thought the last ten mins were ok-ish but the cast worked miracles carried a fucking terrible script imho!

StereophonicallyChallenged Fri 26-Aug-16 07:55:00

Agree it could make a good stage play smile

SuburbanRhonda Fri 26-Aug-16 08:20:12

I thought the script was one of the strong points. The conversations between Carl and his wife especially. And this bits where Carl is lip-reading what the drug-dealers were saying ("Who the fuck is Carl?") were terrifying.

GetAHaircutCarl Fri 26-Aug-16 08:33:05

I really liked the claustrphobic intensity of it all. It had a lot of things to say about disconnection in modern life (from both people and our decisions).

SeekEveryEveryKnownHidingPlace Fri 26-Aug-16 08:40:00

We all watched this together in almost complete silence: it was brilliant.

His filming of ex wife and children though - difficult to decide what to make of that. I assume it was because he wanted to keep an eye and keep them safe originally .... But when he said 'when did I change?' To the ex wife, that suggested he wasn't supposed to know about the new bloke... Which doesn't make sense as the children were plenty old enough to know and to say. Is anyone else clearer about what was going on there than I am?

Had high hopes for The Circuit last night which I didn't think was so good in the end.

SeekEveryEveryKnownHidingPlace Fri 26-Aug-16 08:42:24

And yes, as much as like everyone else I love a good long series, it was good to watch a one-off piece of really intense drama. So many 8 seasons, each with 24 eps, I think it's great to have to engage in that really sustained way with one programme entire in itself.

GetAHaircutCarl Fri 26-Aug-16 08:49:01

I think like a good stage play, it didn't try to do to much.

Essentially, one set. Few characters. A main theme that was explored in several different ways.

legotits Fri 26-Aug-16 08:52:49

Love him.
Loved him as Craig.

PP may be on to something with a radio play the writing really stood out.

This is England 86 is on catch up if you haven't seen his performance of Compo.

GetAHaircutCarl Fri 26-Aug-16 08:54:08

He is brilliant in This Is England.

SuburbanRhonda Fri 26-Aug-16 08:56:08

When Carl said to his wife, "When did I change?" I thought it meant what I happened to make her fall out of love with him.

Lilybensmum1 Fri 26-Aug-16 08:57:44

surburban it is how I thought it would end, makes the drama all the more tense it's horrible becaus all he was doing was genuinely trying to help and getting mocked by the police.

SeekEveryEveryKnownHidingPlace Fri 26-Aug-16 09:02:07

It's just, the implied answer to 'when did I change?' Was 'as a result of something I saw on the camera', I thought. Which I guess could go back years to before the split. I know that's really not the point, by the way, but it confused me a bit at the time.

I thought SG was particularly good when on the phone to his son - you obviously knew he was close to tears, but if you'd closed your eyes you wouldn't have been able to hear that, as his son. He's the best actor in This Is England by a mile, in my opinion. In a strong field, obviously!

SuburbanRhonda Fri 26-Aug-16 09:22:14

I thought it was lovely that his wife forgave him for forgetting to phone his son sad

SeekEveryEveryKnownHidingPlace Fri 26-Aug-16 09:26:08

And heartbreaking that his son did ....

SuburbanRhonda Fri 26-Aug-16 09:28:36

Agree, *seek.

GetAHaircutCarl Fri 26-Aug-16 09:28:36

It was very clever that Carl's relationship with his ex and his DC was complex instead of just poor.

A lesser writer would have gone for the later in the name of conflict and tension, but actually the complicated, nuanced situation was more tense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now