Madam Secretary -any good?

(24 Posts)
polyhymnia Tue 26-Jul-16 12:25:44

We're addicted to political dramas. First and foremost, the West Wing of course, but also House of Cards and have also found Scandal watchable, if schlocky. Also fans of The Good Wife.

We've devoured all the series of these (WW more than once) and are looking round for a replacement in this long summer stretch when there's nothing for non sport lovers on terrestrial TV.
Thought maybe Madam Secretary. Recommendations/ views, please?

99percentchocolate Tue 26-Jul-16 12:32:23

Love it. Well worth a watch

DanyellasDonkey Tue 26-Jul-16 12:38:52

Not a fan of many US programmes but I have it on good authority (DP - who loves anything of this sort that it is brilliant.)

Hope that helps!!

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Tue 26-Jul-16 12:39:40

I really enjoyed it, however it's an extremely American-centric view of world politics which got a bit tiresome. It helped that the storylines aren't really based on actual current affairs. The characters are interesting, although I find the elder daughter a bit whingy.

Balletgirlmum Tue 26-Jul-16 13:41:11

Yes. I'm really enjoying it. It's very different to West Wing but dh & I love both.

Pradaqueen Tue 26-Jul-16 13:44:34

Love it but have recently noticed that the storylines in the most recent series have migrated towards 'madam secretary is only able to do her job if her husband steps in and sorts it out' which is a bit confused

PurpleDaisies Tue 26-Jul-16 13:49:22

I love the west wing and the good wife. To buck the trend I didn't like it. I didn't really like any of the characters which was a bit of a problem. I agree that the American centred view of world politics beibg really annoying. I ditched it halfway through the first series.

JessieMcJessie Tue 26-Jul-16 13:52:12

It's quite a bit more lightweight than WW and HoC and is more "story of the week" than complex ongoing narrative, but we enjoyed it. Tea Leoni is fab. I do agree that the elder daughter needs a slap though!

If you haven't seen it, I recommend The Americans- not political drama as such but politics very key to the plot.

JessieMcJessie Tue 26-Jul-16 13:54:48

Ooh and also has the great Bebe Neuwirth in it, the one who played Frasier's uptight wife in Cheers back in the day. What WAS her name again?

PurpleDaisies Tue 26-Jul-16 13:56:55

Lilith jessie.

I'm watching Frasier on chenbbel four in the mornings at the moment. It's stood the test of time very well.

PurpleDaisies Tue 26-Jul-16 13:57:31

Channel four not chenbbel four. What's up with my auto correct today?!

DramaAlpaca Tue 26-Jul-16 13:58:17

I thought it was OK, but not in the same league as WW.

I agree with others that it's very lightweight compared to WW. It's all about how the USA saves the world in any given situation, and it's not factually based.

I also found most of the characters irritating, although I did like Tea Leoni.

I watched the first series but gave up partway through the second.

LizKeen Tue 26-Jul-16 14:05:59

I really enjoyed it.

SenecaFalls Tue 26-Jul-16 14:06:49

I like it. I agree with some of the other posters that it's not in the league of West Wing, but it's entertaining and has some really good actors. Also the chemistry between Tea Leoni and Tim Daly is very good, not surprising because they are now a couple in RL.

JessieMcJessie Tue 26-Jul-16 14:26:47

Lilith! Thanks. I LOVED Cheers, even though I was far too young to have ever been in a bar when I watched it.

Ooh and for a special bonus point who is Tim Daly's famous sister and what legendary TV character did she play ? 😊

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Tue 26-Jul-16 14:43:44

It's a fluffy but watchable.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Tue 26-Jul-16 14:46:04

Is Tyne Daly Tim's sister?

Tim and Tyne, they definitely didn't ask for advice on MN's Babt names board.

SenecaFalls Tue 26-Jul-16 14:50:47

Yes, Tyne and Tim are siblings. Their dad was also an actor: James Daly.

SenecaFalls Tue 26-Jul-16 14:52:56

For the bonus point, Tyne Daly played Mary Beth Lacey on Gagney and Lacey, one of my all time favorite TV shows.

PurpleDaisies Tue 26-Jul-16 14:53:21

Tyne Daly... Was she Cagney or Lacey?

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Tue 26-Jul-16 14:54:15

I liked her in Judging Amy.

JessieMcJessie Tue 26-Jul-16 19:07:21

Bonus points all round smile. I might watch some old Cagney and Lacey will on maternity leave- used to love watching with my Mum!

Autumnchill Tue 26-Jul-16 19:15:48

I love it! Not as heavy as West Wing but easy to watch and a couple of shock moments plus her husband is quite nice to look at smile

polyhymnia Thu 04-Aug-16 00:29:47

Thanks for your views. We've now devoured Season 1 of MS and found it watchable and enjoyable, while agreeing with some of the points above about the USA as centre of the world view. West Wing still the best and I missed the dark edge of House of Cards. But still a good watch.
But season 2 isn't on Sky Box sets yet, so now desperate for a substitute. Have started a separate thread on that but all suggestions from PPs here very welcome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now