Come hither bakeoff buddies

(30 Posts)
hobnobsaremyfave Sun 24-Jul-16 16:43:20

Bakeoff usually kicks off early August. Anyone care to join me in any bakeoff gossip.
We can chat about past bakeoffs and wonder what this series will be like.grin

Teacupinastorm Sun 24-Jul-16 21:10:06

I opened this with such excitement as I thought bake off start date had been announced! They're taking their time this year.

GetHappy Sun 24-Jul-16 22:16:22

Wondered if there will be a delay this year with the Olympics.....

hobnobsaremyfave Mon 25-Jul-16 10:44:52

I know I know
I spent ages yesterday trying to find a start date and there is even a trailer on the beeb but no date angrygrin

AuldYow Mon 25-Jul-16 10:54:07

Just googled and it's been put back to the end of August so after the Olympics.

Have a homemade biscuitcake in the meantime wink

Teacupinastorm Mon 25-Jul-16 11:10:09

THE END OF AUGUST! Oh man sad

hobnobsaremyfave Mon 25-Jul-16 17:54:56

I dont want sport I want cake sad

Noodlebrains Mon 25-Jul-16 20:55:00

I was wondering out this! The only advantage I can see to the later start date is it's going to be more of an Autumn show. In my mind I watch bake off with the curtains closed and a cuppa.

CrotchetQuaverMinim Mon 25-Jul-16 20:58:07

yep I just read something tonight that said after the Olympics as well. I'd been hoping for next week!

hobnobsaremyfave Fri 29-Jul-16 17:54:27

Start date is 14th August

IpanemaChica Fri 29-Jul-16 17:55:45

Yippeeecakecakecake

CrotchetQuaverMinim Fri 29-Jul-16 18:13:13

ooh, where have you seen that? I've only seen predictions for 24th August.

BikeRunSki Fri 29-Jul-16 18:19:17

No
<stamps foot>
Bake Off always starts when we go on holiday. We always go on holiday the same week. We are going a week today. Pah.

(Although my boss's DD is in the Olympics, so I'll be watching anyway).

Teacupinastorm Sat 30-Jul-16 00:37:07

14th is a Sunday so I would be surprised at that. 24th is a Wednesday which would make more sense.

ppeatfruit Sat 30-Jul-16 13:36:00

Darn we're going away too. I'll have to remember to record it, It's a bit wasteful to leave the TV on standby for it though I suppose. Anything new about it? Still the same presenters?

hobnobsaremyfave Sun 31-Jul-16 11:22:41

Sorry sorry sorry
Start date is 24th just read my post back and realised my typo sad
I shouldn't be let loose on a keyboard

WizardOfToss Tue 02-Aug-16 11:28:45

Just found the thread, as I was wondering when the Jeff it was starting. I'm a bit blush at how much I'm looking forward to it, as I was totally dismissive of the whole thing until last year! <kicks self>

DD showed me the error of my ways..

Anyway, 24th August you say? Ok, good. Will lay in cake supplies and tea for then.

Btw, I have noticed how difficult it is to buy a delicious cake without paying a fortune in a deli, does anyone else find this? Any supermarket gems? I had a 'finest' lemon cake the other day which was really quite nice, any others from my fellow cake lovers? smile

ppeatfruit Tue 02-Aug-16 13:38:19

I think you either have to pay a lot, or make it yourself grin otherwise they use the cheapest ingredients they can find sadly sad

And they bung in soooo much sugar you can feel your fillings squeaking !!

ppeatfruit Tue 02-Aug-16 13:40:52

I was partial to M&S's choc fudge cake before I stopped eating wheat! I make my own non wheat now it's fabulous!

WizardOfToss Tue 02-Aug-16 18:29:39

I'm not the most talented baker! Plus I tend to eat it all myself... blush I made Nigella's fudge cake last time I baked, ate half, froze half.

I've got a houseful next week though, so maybe the kids would enjoy baking with me..the wheat free thing must be a challenge, have you found any other good recipes?

M&S is an hour and a half round trip for me as well! <fumes>. If friends go, they take shopping lists for the rest of us!

ppeatfruit Tue 02-Aug-16 18:54:41

I must admit I make up my own recipes (using St. Delia as a basic pattern) because I like a challenge!! I go dairy and sugar free too! But my chocolate brownie cake has to be eaten to be believed! Even my conservative dh LOVES it.!

WizardOfToss Tue 02-Aug-16 19:21:03

Ok, ppeat, we're going to need the recipe! wink

RebootYourEngine Tue 02-Aug-16 19:50:23

I think Bake Off should be a winter tv programme. Those dark nights are a good excuse to eat cake and watch tv.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Tue 02-Aug-16 19:54:30

I'm going to have to see if I can get BBC iPlayer to work in Canada. I suspect not sad

I luffs GBBO. Does anyone know if Jo Brand is doing Extra Slice again this year?

PinkissimoAndPearls Tue 02-Aug-16 19:59:34

Oh I hope it doesn't clash with Australian Masterchef <frets>

When I used to home ed, we always did a cookery lesson on Wednesdays so we had cake with Bake Off grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now