Can anyone recommend a Spanish tv series or film please?

(29 Posts)
BlackAmericanoNoSugar Sun 17-Jul-16 22:42:55

I think I might learn Spanish this summer. I'm bored, I have a Spanish au pair, it might work. I usually find that it helps to watch an hour or so of tv a day in the language that I'm learning, it gets my ear accustomed to the sounds and it's useful for expanding my vocabulary. I had a quick look on Walter Presents on the C4 website, but the only Spanish series is based in a women's prison and doesn't really appeal to me.

I would quite like a thriller, sci fi or something a bit silly and romantic please. Not too tragic, grim or gory please.

maursieq Tue 19-Jul-16 16:02:37

there was a period drama on a few months back possibly something like "Grand Hotel" - there was lots of talking going on so would be good for picking up a bit of Spanish! (not sure if still available on catch up)

Nzou1050 Tue 19-Jul-16 16:20:45

Sorry I don't have any recommendations of particular programmes but there are loads on RTVE a la carta It's like a Spanish equivalent of iplayer. Not sure how to link but you should be able to find it via Google. There's also an app you can download.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Tue 19-Jul-16 16:22:17

That sounds a bit better. It might be on Netflix, I'll check it out.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Tue 19-Jul-16 16:23:52

I'll check out RTVE too, I might find a soap that I like. When I lived in Germany I found soaps quite good for day-to-day language as they were always meeting and greeting each other, going into shops and cafes and that sort of thing.

cestlavielife Tue 19-Jul-16 16:26:22

dvd.netflix.com/Movie/Instructions-Not-Included/70284281

funny (twist at the end)

Instructions Not Included

mexican spanish

cestlavielife Tue 19-Jul-16 16:28:10

www.onnetflix.co.uk/instructions-not-included/10281 yes it is emotional..

Hensintheskirting Tue 19-Jul-16 16:33:01

The Orphanage is one of the scariest films I've ever seen. If you like jump out of your skin scary (it's not at all gory) then give it a try. It is a bit tragic, very scary. It's directed by Guillermo del Torro.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Tue 19-Jul-16 16:46:06

All About My Mother,Women on the Edge of a Nervous Breakdown - in fact, there are several by Pedro Amodovar. There's one with Penelope Cruz and Xavier wotsit which I can't remember the name of.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Tue 19-Jul-16 16:59:28

Sorry that one's a Woody Allen film blush.
Penelope Cruz has made loads of Spanish films though, you could maybe google her.

TrionicLettuce Tue 19-Jul-16 16:59:41

I'd suggest any of Guillermo Del Toro's Spanish films; Cronos, The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth.

He's also been a producer on a couple of good Spanish horror films; The Orphanage and Julia's Eyes.

BarbaraofSeville Thu 21-Jul-16 13:42:36

Locked up. You can watch it on channel 4 on demand. Spanish women's prison drama and absolutely brilliant.

GipsyDanger Thu 21-Jul-16 13:44:21

Yes to pans Labyrinth, the orphanage, Julia's eyes, all amazing films

lucjam2105 Mon 25-Jul-16 19:22:04

I second Locked Up finished it Saturday night. Was bloody ace.

Helish Wed 27-Jul-16 13:38:39

I'd recommend Locked Up as well. Amazing series, can't wait for series 2 later this year

Andylion Thu 28-Jul-16 18:10:13

I loved Grand Hotel. It was a Spanish version of Downton Abbey with a mystery.
I don't know if Velvet is available on Netflix UK, but really loved it. Pure fluff and great clothes. Here is the trailer, but without subtitles. confused
www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9PwIfMEeVs

Andylion Thu 28-Jul-16 18:10:53

And Velvet stars this guy.
www.imdb.com/name/nm1775614/

MissClarke86 Thu 28-Jul-16 18:40:43

I know you've said it doesn't appeal, but Locked Up was bloody brilliant. The best series I have ever seen.

It's driving me mad that I can't watch series 2

venusinscorpio Fri 05-Aug-16 02:07:34

Tesis (thesis). Alejandro Amenabar's debut film. A edge of the seat thriller but it might be too dark for your taste from what you say.

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 05-Aug-16 04:56:06

I'm going to add locked up to my list !!

Jaynebxl Fri 05-Aug-16 05:18:40

Hable con ella. Another Almodovar recommendation, bitter sweet but really stayed with me.

BarbaraofSeville Fri 05-Aug-16 22:16:17

Oops. Missed the bit in the OP where she said locked up doesn't appeal. However glad the there are others that agree that it is brilliant.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Fri 05-Aug-16 23:14:04

Yay, Velvet is on Netflix. It sounds fab. I don't know what it is about prison dramas, but I just can't take to them. I think they're too claustrophobic or something. The last prison drama that I watched the whole way through was Porridge. grin

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Fri 05-Aug-16 23:15:29

Incidently, as I'm fairly new to Netflix, is there a way to search by original language?

SomeonesRealName Fri 05-Aug-16 23:27:21

Policías, en el corazón de la calle is a police drama from about year 2000 we watched it obsessively - it's available on a DVD box set.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now