Robin Hood - the hooded man. It's coming back!

(18 Posts)
AuntieStella Thu 30-Jun-16 12:30:10

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36323768

"For many people of a certain age the ITV programme was a must-watch"

I'm one of them!

Michael Praed is only going to be a 'spectral voice' though (pity)

AuntieStella Thu 30-Jun-16 12:47:51

For those too young to remember, this is Michael Praed in his prime

Clayhead Thu 30-Jun-16 14:41:25

He was lovely! The music too...

EdithWeston Thu 30-Jun-16 16:51:14

The music was by Clannad

<wistful>

TheHiphopopotamus Fri 01-Jul-16 12:59:26

Oh man, I used to love this! Michael Praed was probably one of my very first crushes (along with Bo Duke grin)

It was a class but of telly.

gingerboy1912 Fri 01-Jul-16 20:47:16

Omg I loved this program and the music, I had a massive crush on Ray Winston.

MitzyLeFrouf Fri 01-Jul-16 20:54:59

Oh the music reeeally takes me back to being about 8 years old. We loved this programme. Didn't Michael have lovely layered hair for an outlaw? grin

ABCAlwaysBeCunting Fri 01-Jul-16 20:56:57

I remember the Norman soldiers being really inept grin

I was obsessed with this programme as a kid. It ended up with me developing a big interest in history and British mythology.

MitzyLeFrouf Fri 01-Jul-16 20:59:30

Oh the memories!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNXMfRvEN28

mineallmine Mon 04-Jul-16 21:02:49

Ooh, Michael Praed was my first crush too. Remember him later as the prince in Dynasty? Dreadful stuff!!

Religieuse Mon 04-Jul-16 21:09:07

I adored this series, though I thought Jason Connery was rather less beautiful than Michael Praed - and my main crush was on a young, angry Ray Winstone. Though the best scenes were the incredibly homoerotic and demented ones involving the Sheriff of Nottingham and Guy of Gisbourne who seemed to be having a fairly tormented love affair while chewing scenery grin. Sadly, the rather lovely actor who played Guy of Gisbourne died young.

If you've ever come across a blooper reel for it (maybe on Youtube?), it's hilarious. They seem to have had a whale of a time running around in a rainy wood failing to shoot arrows and with farting horses.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Mon 04-Jul-16 21:10:55

I loved the tv show so much. I had the clannad album and saw them live in the late 80s.

fairycakecentral Tue 05-Jul-16 05:58:07

I'm another one whose first crush was Michael Praed. I adored him and stopped watching when Jason Connery took over the role.

I've seen Michael praed a few times one the Wright Stuff - no more crushes on him now, he comes across a bit too in love with his own voice for my liking.

Fontella Tue 05-Jul-16 08:19:42

Nice article - he sounds like a very down to earth unpretentious bloke.

www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-02-24/michael-praed-robin-of-sherwood-holds-up-but-i-imagine-if-you-watched-dynasty-now-youd-wet-yourself-laughing

Religieuse Tue 05-Jul-16 11:27:20

Who knew there were Robin of Sherwood fan conventions, for a show that lasted only three short-ish seasons in the mid-1980s???

I always thought replacing Michael Praed with quite such a blonde, surfer-y Robin was a bit of a mistake - he always looked a bit unlikely and shampoo ad-ish crawling through a grubby forest. Mind you, I suppose at least they wrote the original Robin out properly and produced a reason why there's suddenly a new Robin - given that this was the era of US soap characters just waking up in the morning being played by a different actor. There were at least two Miss Ellies in Dallas and two Fallons in Dynasty/The Colbys.

TinklyLittleLaugh Tue 05-Jul-16 11:31:56

Yes Jason Connery was no Michael Praed.

I remember thinking as a kid "Why does Will Scarlett seem more real than the others?" Saw a rerun as an adult and realised he was played by Ray Winstone who can actually act.

GoEasyPudding Wed 06-Jul-16 17:25:15

Great link and find Auntiestella

This was my all time fav show as a kid. I had a crush on the first Robin, then Guy of Gisbourne but like other posters above it was Will Scarlet that was my greatest love. I agree Tinkly we may have been responding to Ray Winstone's rather superior acting ability though looking at it now!

I became obsessed with this show and really got into history because of it. It gave me a huge boost at school as I would put extra effort into history class and creative writing.

Anyone still want to own an Albion sword of their own?

(Feeling a bit sad its not a new TV show with the same spooky feel and similar music)

GoEasyPudding Wed 06-Jul-16 17:27:56

Can I just add that I still have the novelizations on my shelf...including the "choose your own adventure" style ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now