HIGNFY tonight

(15 Posts)

Is it me, or has someone shot Frankie Boyle with a tranquiliser dart?

He sees oddly... relaxed.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 13-May-16 21:55:47

So disappointed when I saw he was hosting. I can't stand him, but he's been ok tonight.

LineyReborn Fri 13-May-16 21:55:58

He's either on strict BBC rules or some kind of gaelic Feliway.

grin at Gaelic Feliway.

RJnomore1 Fri 13-May-16 21:57:29

I think he's had mental health issues and it looks to me as if he's in a better place at the moment

Yes, I read the book he wrote and it did give concern about his MH.

But tonight he definitely seemed medicated, he was reading from the autocue in a very mechanical way.
Although I suppose it's possible he's just not good at reading other people's gags, I am fucking hilarious when ad libbing grin but can't read a script for shit.

CoffeeAndOranges Fri 13-May-16 23:26:21

I was watching this and it seemed that Paul Merton was giving him the cold shoulder- stony faced whenever Boyle cracked a joke, especially the one about David Attenborough. Might all be down to the editing but it did seem very uncomfortable.

There's long standing disrespect between Merton and Boyle. Radio Times notes.

omri Fri 13-May-16 23:30:06

Who is this Frankie Boyle?
Thought the 2 guests were the only funny ones tonight.

JustLostTheGame Fri 13-May-16 23:31:43

Ugh frankie boyle!! Why is he still getting airtime? He is vile.

ineedamoreadultieradult Fri 13-May-16 23:32:27

Paul Merton gave up on hignfy years ago. He goes through the motions but doesn't engage with any host/guest like he used to. Imo anyway.

coldcanary Sat 14-May-16 18:04:50

Frankie Boyle is being slowly reintroduced by the BBC - he did shows on the Scottish referendum and the election on iPlayer. Both were surprisingly good!
He can be sharp as a tack and extremely funny at times - Mock the week went downhill rapidly when he got fired.
Last night was ok, Adil Ray was good, FB still occasionally needs a muzzle (on the whole I thought he was pretty good though) but to be honest it could get by very well without Paul Merton these days. It's obvious that he doesn't enjoy it anymore. He doesn't engage with the guests and just comes out with random comments.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 14-May-16 18:16:26

Mock the week went downhill rapidly when he got fired I disagree with you totally there - that's when I started watching it again. He makes my skin crawl.

BabyGanoush Sat 14-May-16 18:19:51

Paul Merton is a zombie

AGnu Sat 14-May-16 18:20:09

What's going on with the lack of mentioning the female guest? That article makes no mention of whatshername last night & when Janet Street-Porter was on the blurb on iPlayer named the host & said Paul/Ian were to be joined by guests including <male guest>. It's ridiculous they make all that fuss about how they're going to have a token woman each week but don't even list her as a guest! If they wanted to appear inclusive they could try actually being inclusive! confused FWIW, I don't agree with the token woman approach, I want to see the best available combination of people, regardless of gender, which should result in a roughly 50:50 split because I'm pretty sure possessing a vagina doesn't inhibit one's funny bone... wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now