Penny Dreadful season 3

(15 Posts)
redannie118 Wed 04-May-16 23:39:06

So in utter utter love with this programme, every season I expect it to let me down but it constantly blows my socks off! Any thoughts on last nights ep or predictions for this season?

Cooroo Tue 10-May-16 22:31:30

I love it and didn't realise it had started - so a mini binge night watching the first two! So far enjoying as always. Never quite enough of the wonderful Rory Kinnear. I wish that on a good day I could look as good as Vanessa at her worst!

TeradelFuego Fri 13-May-16 03:21:35

I love it, (have seen episode one of new series) but I am struggling to remember what happened last season. I feel as though the chief witch was killed off (Helen McCrory?), but can't remember exactly? I saw that the young witch Hecate was in America on the train with Whatisname the werewolf and his captors, why would that be? Also what was happening with Lilly, the Billie Piper character, had she gone rogue? (seem to remember her killing someone). And was she starting to remember her previous life as the Irish girl, (Bronagh?) and what was happening about that?

I often find this happens with series I follow, if there's a long gap between seasons I really need a recap episode to get me up to speed. I don't think I'm losing my marbles yet, so it must be because I watch so many dramas (hopefully).

Does anyone know where I can read a summary of last series?

Honeyandfizz Sat 14-May-16 07:16:19

I love love love it too mainly because of Josh Hartnett though i have just watched the first two episodes and didnt see the end of the second one coming at all! Fab!

Cooroo Sat 14-May-16 08:21:50

End of episode 2 - my OH had suggested this earlier and I told him not to be daft. I just wanted a nice, quirky, kind character. Silly me, this is Penny Dreadful after all.
I know what you mean TeradelFyego, I forget from week to week (it's my age!) never mind season to season. I'm sure you can google for summaries. I've started listening to the Bald Move podcast, which helps fix things in my mind.

Yes, Lily killed a man who raped her and started a vendetta against all abusive men. Somewhere along the way she teamed up with Dorian Grey. I can't imagine he's in it for philanthropical reasons though.

SarfEast1cated Sat 11-Jun-16 22:07:47

Can I join in? I thought last weeks episode in the room of the sanatorium, was one of the best bits of acting I have seen for years. The actress who plays Vanessa is really amazing. I just need all the boys in the US to go home and help her and pronto!
I find the Jekyll and Frankenstein a bit weak tbh but really love Roy Kinnear's character too.
I'm enjoying it much more than Game of Thrones.

Cooroo Sat 11-Jun-16 23:56:35

Please join, it's very quiet here! Yes, the sanatorium episode was fantastic. I'm a huge fan of Rory Kinnear and they were so well-matched. Was a little underwhelmed by the following episode with so much Ethan though.

SarfEast1cated Sun 12-Jun-16 07:50:07

I have a feeling that Vanessa will go over to the dark side this series, as she is on her own, and feeling vulnerable. Dracula will be too tempting I think...
Not sure about the new fencing death lady though... do we trust her?
Ethan is a bit dull actually, but I wonder if he gets back together with Lilly? I actually can't stand Billie Piper normally, and her accent slips quite often, but she's ok in this.
I really love the new Native American character though...

Cooroo Thu 16-Jun-16 07:10:22

Oh Vanessa, what happened?? You set off with a pistol and a hardened heart, and a few smooth words from the evil doctor turned you to the dark side. I thought you of all women should know better.

I felt some sympathy for Dorian Grey, briefly, but betraying Lily put him beyond the pale. But of course he is Dorian Grey so what did I expect?

SarfEast1cated Thu 16-Jun-16 07:17:56

He knew all the right buttons to press didn't he - I think the others will get her back when they arrive.
Yes the Dorian bit was good - lily being subdued to be more feminine - I hope that she gets rescued...

Silverstreaks Wed 22-Jun-16 14:44:30

Noooooooo! It's over.
God, I loved this programme. I loved it's darkness, how beautiful it was, the carnage and bloodshed, becoming totally engrossed with characters I thought I'd never like. I loved Vanessa, Ethan and the Creature - he made me cry on many occasions, he was so eloquent.
It was something to be devoured alone in a darkened room, a thing to savour, an earthy pleasure. And now it's gone.

MrsSnufkin Wed 22-Jun-16 23:18:23

I am so sad it's over too. The scenes with John/The Creature were almost UNBEARABLE to watch! Rory Kinnear deserves all the awards. I cried my face off at the final sequence. Eva Green was a Goddess. Also, I loved Billy Piper in this and really did not expect to.

I still feel it was forced to end too soon. Why introduce so many new characters and then just end it when so many lesser shows run and run? I know shows can outstay their welcome but there seemed so much more mileage in this one.

Monroe Thu 23-Jun-16 07:34:22

Can I very belatedly join?

I binge watched the first series and fell in love with it and watched the final of this one last night. I can't believe they have ended it. It just all felt so rushed in the end. And I have too many questions!

I still don't understand why Ethan went to America? Guilt? Or why his family was killed (by him?)

And why introduce Dr Jekyll but barely use the character?

What's Lilys going to do?

Bumping into Victor at the hospital just seemed forced. Not seen each other for ages, shall we go fight some vampires, ok then

And why after declaring his love and saying he would protect her did Ethan kill her just because she asked nicely!

It felt like they got half way through the series building up all these future plots then decided to end it instead. Even up to the point of the seeing the words "The End" I was trying to figure out how they would bring her back.

The only ending that made sense to me was Dorian's. And I really hope the creature is OK.

SarfEast1cated Thu 23-Jun-16 08:17:23

I can't believe it's over either - it was really top notch, but no one seemed to be watching it. I wonder if the name put them off? I haven't watched the most recent episode so not going to read this too closely

Honeyandfizz Thu 23-Jun-16 19:07:43

I can't bloody believe it! Is that it? The end? Nobody told me!! Love the acting and though Billie Piper is a superb actress

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now