The Secret - ITV - Fridays at 9pm

(284 Posts)
RosieSW Sat 30-Apr-16 04:06:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RosieSW Sat 30-Apr-16 04:10:07

hairymelonwalton Sat 30-Apr-16 06:00:34

it was good although it dont feel right saying that .
what an arrogant nasty man, i dont remember this in the 90s so i dont know all the details ill be watching with interest

Clawdy Sat 30-Apr-16 09:54:14

It was gripping and well-acted. It seemed so unbelievable that they could have ever considered it, but it's true! Not sure about one or two of the wigs,though.......

Olddear Sat 30-Apr-16 10:04:56

I'm loving it! James Nesbitt is brilliant in it

hollyisalovelyname Sat 30-Apr-16 10:20:38

I'm watching it too.
Though I'm not a fan of James Nesbitt.
How awful for the chdren involved.
I think Colin Howell had ten children in the end though some may be step children.

viciousstarling Sat 30-Apr-16 14:00:22

uh the first line of your second post is a massive spoiler confused

RosieSW Sat 30-Apr-16 15:29:29

RosieSW Sat 30-Apr-16 15:35:41

RosieSW Sat 30-Apr-16 17:06:30

RosieSW Sat 30-Apr-16 17:15:38

MarthaCliffYouCunt Sat 30-Apr-16 17:22:19

I watched last night (uncomfortably) and then read a local news article with interview from a prison officer who has guarded/guards howell. That man is deeply, deeply repulsive. Have only watched the first episode so there is perhaps better to come but what i saw barely touched the sides of his true character. He still sends hazel stewart letters goading her and proclaiming how he confessed both their sins for them and that she must repent etc. He is a vile specimen and apparently has been very much enjoying the attention he has been getting since the show came about. It feels so very wrong.

CandPthisyoufuckers Sat 30-Apr-16 17:24:02

CandPthisyoufuckers Sat 30-Apr-16 17:24:22

MarthaCliffYouCunt Sat 30-Apr-16 17:28:18

I agree jimmy was a bad choice.

Although i cant think off the top of my head who would have been a good fit.

CandPthisyoufuckers Sat 30-Apr-16 17:30:17

CandPthisyoufuckers Sat 30-Apr-16 17:30:32

hollyisalovelyname Sat 30-Apr-16 19:21:17

I thought JN was too sleazy too. But he just annoys me hugely anyway.
It seems such a far fetched story but for those who hadn't heard about it, it gets even more unbelievable ( but true) in the next episodes!

RosieSW Sat 30-Apr-16 19:42:57

RosieSW Sat 30-Apr-16 20:18:39

Lalaloopsyscaresme Sat 30-Apr-16 20:45:04

I thought it was brilliant, i don't live too far away so it's very close to home. I've downloaded the book to my kindle, I think jimmy did a good portrayal as CH was a sleazy fecker.
His poor wife didn't stand a chance

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 30-Apr-16 22:01:14

I've just watched it . I find James Nesbitt horrible anyway but he's making me flinch in all this . Very interesting to see the rule of the church on people's lives .

oneowlgirl Sat 30-Apr-16 23:51:21

I watched it too & do remember it in the news etc. I thought JN was a great choice as the man was a sleaze wrapped up in a biblical pretext.

I googled afterwards also - you'd never believe it if it weren't a true story!

JingsAndCrivens Sun 01-May-16 04:36:08

It doesn't matter if the locations were wrong because it wasn't made for people local to where the crimes took place. I can understand that people who live in the area might not be thrilled that this drama was made but I'm sure they've watched some 'based on true events' dramatisations in their time.

I'm not normally a fan of James Nesbitt but I thought he was great in this. I didn't find him sleazy, more sociopathic if anything. He was going to get what he wanted no matter what obstacles stood in his way. I liked the contrast between religious evangelism and sexual tension.

RosieSW Sun 01-May-16 06:54:37

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now