Why oh why is The Jeremy Kyle Show still on TV?

(26 Posts)
DreadfulPenny Thu 28-Apr-16 13:44:45

Jeremy Kyle seems to have been 'gracing' our television screens for what seems like decades now, and it's just awful!

I have unfortunately been off work for a while and God help me I've been watching daytime TV. Jezza Kyle is a proper little turd isn't he? He was laying into a young woman for cheating on her boyfriend, really being a bully. Someone should point out to him that lie detector results are NOT 100% accurate, that's the reason they don't allow lie detector results in courts of law. The he calls her 'sweetheart'. I shudder. If I had been in her position I would have said 'I'm a young woman, I am not married to this man, and how dare you call me sweetheart?'

If he spoke to the average person on the street the way he speaks to his guests (behind his security guards) he'd be waking up in hospital without his teeth. I really can't stand this obnoxious little twat. Ok, so his guests aren't exactly classy, but he's worse than any of them! He's a bully, he's evil, he delights in breaking up couples, he riles people up, he taunts and he's so bloody self-righteous. What authority is he on human decency anyway? He is vile, his show is vile, and I think it's about time they replace his show with something a bit more interesting, informative or entertaining.

Right, Judge Judy is on now, shhh.

BillBrysonsBeard Thu 28-Apr-16 13:56:03

Simple fact: people love it! I watched him when it first started as I found it entertaining but it's all the same. The people who go on it wear it like a badge of honour and the people who watch love it because it's like a car crash... A guilty pleasure. Seeing how different whole sections of society are is fascinating. It must have good ratings for it to still be on!

NathalieM Thu 28-Apr-16 16:26:18

I hate to say this, but I have really come around on the Jeremy Kyle show. I used to despise him, and the entire premise of the show, but after watching it with DH, I LOVE IT! I agree with Bill, it is fascinating to see how people act, especially when they are about to be revealed as liars. It's a great study of character and human interaction.

In regards to how he can get away talking to people like that. I don't like it either, but It's his show and he can do what he likes (within reason of course). People are often in desperate situations when they visit to show, so to be talked down to so frequently is not right.

EvansOvalPies Thu 28-Apr-16 16:31:06

He's still on TV because people choose to still watch him. Why did you watch the show if you dislike it so much? There are so many other channels to choose from. I'd rather watch the Wright Stuff or an old episode of Miss Marple or Midsomer Murders if I was stuck. Or read a book.

Anyone visiting that show is not in a desperate situation at all - they just want their five minutes of fame. It is a stupid programme. But as long as people watch it, it will continue to be screened.

weirdsister Thu 28-Apr-16 16:32:34

I hate it. He's a vile bully.

EvansOvalPies Thu 28-Apr-16 16:32:55

It is simply a low-budget programme, exploiting vulnerable people with their sad lives. A bit like "Britain's Got Talent".

sonlypuppyfat Thu 28-Apr-16 16:37:52

He's like a ghoul feeding off people's misery

Susiesoap7 Thu 28-Apr-16 18:34:30

Bet he's a rich ghoul! But he will probably need it to pay alimony!

RosieSW Thu 28-Apr-16 18:35:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

niceupthedance Thu 28-Apr-16 18:40:22

I disagree that people on the show think it's a badge of honour. I worked with a young woman who was taken on there by a relative and publicly humiliated. She said it was awful. Also, a friend who is a therapist was contacted by the show to organise counselling for someone they'd had on who had significant issues and had been promised help; the show were prepared to pay for three sessions. Disgusting programme.

TheresADogOnYourBalls Thu 28-Apr-16 18:41:16

I used to listen to him donkeys years ago when he was an 'agony uncle' on the radio, (Virgin, as it was in those days). He was great on the radio, empathic, witty and full of pretty good advice. Then he got on the telly and.....well, good god, it's indescribable isn't it? I think being 'properly' famous just went to his head and turned him into the arrogant nob we all now know and despise. Shame.

HolesInTheFloor Thu 28-Apr-16 18:43:39

The blatant taking the piss out of people because they're poor is vile enough - 'ooh did you put you best suit on? Don't you have one that fits?' Just reminds me of being the poor kid at school.

What I find worse though is the lie detector tests. They are wildly inaccurate, even the practitioners only claim they can be up to 90% effective. This is never clearly explained and vulnerable, often violent people are taking these results as facts. JK always states to back the results 100%, and then lays into people who are clearly distressed when he and his team have caused this distress at least 10% of the time.

HolesInTheFloor Thu 28-Apr-16 18:47:58

I quite like Judge Rinder though.

lem73 Thu 28-Apr-16 18:54:09

I despise the way he speaks to people. One of my dcs friend's mums recently went round to a friend's house for dinner. Jeremy Kyle was there with his kids and she said his son was one of the rudest most badly behaved kids she's seen and she NEVER badmouths people. She said he let him away with murder (don't forget he recently split up with his wife). I thought that was very ironic given how he judges other peoples parenting.

Ledkr Thu 28-Apr-16 23:03:22

He's found the cure for addiction though, JUST SHOUT AT THEM that will get them off it hmm

DreadfulPenny Fri 29-Apr-16 10:10:59

RosieSW that's interesting, not surprised though. Yesterday he was also badgering a woman to let her violent ex-boyfriend's family see her child. Thankfully she stuck to her guns and didn't allow herself to be bullied into doing something she wasn't happy about. Good on her, I'm really glad she stood up to the shouty little man.

tudasaurus Fri 29-Apr-16 10:16:14

He doesn't have the skill or emotional insight to deal with vulnerable people. This was a particular low point:
everydayvictimblaming.com/media-complaints/victim-blaming-as-daytime-entertainment-on-the-jeremy-kyle-show/

CorBlimeyTrousers Fri 29-Apr-16 10:20:58

I only watched it once and hated it. It featured a young man whose girlfriend swore she hasn't cheated on him but his whole family thought their young son wasn't his. He loved that boy but the paternity test showed he wasn't the father and he was devastated. This genuine tragedy was played out for our entertainment and it made me cry. Yes the man (and the baby) deserved to know the truth but we didn't deserve to be voyeurs. It as horrible. I never watched again.

suzannecaravaggio Fri 29-Apr-16 10:27:54

Presume ultimately it's because people like it..the demand creates the supply
Why do they like it?
Perhaps that is the more pertinent question?

suzannecaravaggio Fri 29-Apr-16 10:30:59

Schadenfreude?
Taking pleasure in the knowledge that 'my life may be bad but at least it's not quite that fucked up'?

Mairyhinge Fri 29-Apr-16 15:03:45

dreadful I watched that episode yesterday and what really stood out to me was this...
The lady refused to let her ex's family see her child, fair enough, I agree with her. They were calling her all sorts, being really vile, the mother in law even said she should be dead.
Now Jeremy Kyle would say to a bloke, looking to be in his kids lives, " despite what you feel, you've to be nice to her cos she's your kids mum"
Yet yesterday he was actively encouraging this woman to let these vile people, who verbally abused her, see her child!! When she stuck to her guns and refused, he sulked.
Why would you let someone be around your child when they're calling you so vile names and being so horrible to you? I wouldn't let anyone talk about me like that and then be alone with my kids!!
He's disgusting, and how he's still on air beats me.
Feel sorry for the security blokes having to call him "Mr Kyle" mr fucking vile more like.... They must be well paid cos I'd smack him myself if I had that job.

DreadfulPenny Fri 29-Apr-16 17:43:33

Mairyhinge** I'm so glad that lady stuck to her guns. I definitely wouldn't let my child be alone with those horrible people. No way. I don't see what right Mr Vile has to try and bully her into letting them have access. How dare he? He knows nothing about them. And could the lady have sued the Jeremy Kyle show if she had allowed access and something had happened to the child?

TealLove Fri 29-Apr-16 17:53:20

I watched him goad a man who had done nothing wrong in the most disgusting way today. He is also highly misogynistic.
He makes me sick.

GooodMythicalMorning Fri 29-Apr-16 18:01:56

People must love to watch himy otherwise he wouldn't still be on. It's car crash TV.

Effendi Fri 29-Apr-16 19:36:48

I can't watch it. DH does occasionally, I have to leave the room.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now