Dunblane

(18 Posts)
MargotLovedTom Wed 09-Mar-16 22:29:51

Did anyone else see this on BBC2? It was one of the most harrowing things I've ever seen. Dh suggested turning it over because I was so upset but I felt, ridiculous as it sounds, that it would be almost disrespectful to turn away from the grief of those incredibly dignified people.
I was 23 when the massacre happened, and although o can remember thinking it was obviously a hideous event, it's only now that I have young children of my own that I finally hits me. Devastating.

MargotLovedTom Wed 09-Mar-16 22:31:19

Apols for typos. I not 'o' and it not 'I'

beeny Wed 09-Mar-16 22:32:48

I know saw it and agree it was just so sad.

Hassled Wed 09-Mar-16 22:35:29

DD was the same age - but miles away. I remember dropping her at school the next day and just feeling sick - it was awful. It's one of those "never forget" moments - walking down the road her school was on and just wanting to run back and get her.

MargotLovedTom Wed 09-Mar-16 22:42:11

I can imagine, Hassled.

Bearcatt Wed 09-Mar-16 22:49:34

DS2 was 4.5 & in reception year, but in SW London when this happened.
Everything changed then re security in (certainly primary) schools & who was able to access schools during the school day.
Very moving programme. Brought back lots of memories.

MargotLovedTom Wed 09-Mar-16 22:54:06

sad

Thornrose Wed 09-Mar-16 22:59:45

I didn't watch but one of the survivors was on GMB earlier in the week. It was the first time she'd spoken on tv about her experience.

I was so painful to watch. She was so distressed I wanted to reach into the tv and hug her. It appeared she'd never really dealt with her feelings and doing so on tv with stupid Piers Morgan seemed so wrong.

SuckingEggs Wed 09-Mar-16 23:04:01

God, it was heartbreaking. I can't really find the right words. Such dignity.

That man who did what he did was beyond evil and I hope hell exists.

ineedaholidaynow Wed 09-Mar-16 23:43:07

Just watched it. So sad.
I remember being at work and I had just popped out to get something from a local shop and hearing the news on the radio and just standing there in stunned silence. Then going back to the office and trying to shelter the news from one of my colleagues as she was heavily pregnant and didn't want her getting upset, not quite sure how I was going to do that.

OnceMoreIntoTheBleach Thu 10-Mar-16 00:05:03

thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks
thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks
thanks

thecitydoc Thu 10-Mar-16 11:59:35

I watched it and very upsetting. I worked in Stirling at the time and was driving back to the office from Glasgow meeting when news came on the radio. Phoned the office as one of the secretaries had children in school in Dunblane, but fortunately secondary. My son was in P1 in 1996 and his first lesson that same morning was PE in the gym. It could so easily have been his school that was targeted. It shows was a sensible country we are as hand guns were banned within 2 years - in USA where these things happen all the time the clamour is for more guns - unbelievable. I have no time for Pierce Morgan but his campaign for gun control when he worked in USA should be applauded.

Cherrypie32 Thu 10-Mar-16 16:48:42

I'm similar to you OP that I was 25 when this happened but the affect on me when I watched the programme last night was profound as I now have a 6 year old daughter in year one. It was a truly harrowing watch but I'm glad I stuck with it as I didn't have any comprehension of the events that unfolded that awful day and now have such a huge respect for that community and all the parents who had children at the school at that time.

breward Thu 10-Mar-16 20:36:22

I was a 23 year old teacher with a class of 5 year olds at the time. I remember looking at my class the next day sitting on the carpet and nearly crying. They had seen bits and pieces on the TV and were full of worry about a nasty man with a gun.

I watched the programme with my 13 y o DS last night. He was unaware of the incident and how it changed Britain. He was even more shocked when I told him Andy Murray was at the school and in class that day. I think A M has only spoken about the incident publicly once and still struggles with it.

The poor parents and HT. It was the younger siblings though who had me in bits and the parents who had lost partners just before the incident. Sophie's dad lost everything, yet was so dignified.

MargotLovedTom Thu 10-Mar-16 21:33:10

I was so moved when Sophie's father described how she was buried with her 'sooky', which was made from his late wife's pyjamas. His dignity and strength of character are unbelievable. Actually that goes for everyone involved.

BayLeaves Fri 11-Mar-16 18:31:03

At the time I was 5, the same age as the victims. So I didn't know much about it before watching it. Felt very sad and couldn't stop imagining how I'd feel if it happening to my own lovely little toddler.

For me the worst bit was when he read out the names and ages of the victims, every single one was 5 sad

oneowlgirl Sun 13-Mar-16 21:41:18

Just watched it - such a sad & emotional programme but full of dignity & strength. Harrowing.

morningtoncrescent62 Sun 13-Mar-16 21:53:28

I didn't know it was on - I'll look for it on catch up. DD1 was in year 1 at the other end of the country (Sussex) when it happened, and like Hassled I remember wanting to pick her up from school and not leave her there the next day. The sense of shock at the school gates that afternoon was something else completely. I can't imagine what it must have been like to be a parent at that school at the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now