Netflix, NowTV or Amazon?

(17 Posts)
LemonBreeland Wed 06-Jan-16 11:29:17

Over Christmas we had no tv, due to our Sky going down and not having a digital aerial to watch freeview.

DH got a 2 week trial of Now TV which is okay, but is Netflix or Amazon better? What do you get with these options? Totally clueless here!

MuttonDressedAsMutton Wed 06-Jan-16 11:32:51

Exactly this happened to us and not for the first time. We are quite convinced Sky do this on purpose to make you so desperate you'll agree to almost anything to get your TV back! Anyway, I digress. We watched a LOT of Netflix over the last few weeks and I think it's rather wonderful. Never tried Amazon but will be doing so when new Top Gear launches.

LemonBreeland Wed 06-Jan-16 11:41:02

It's a bloody nightmare isn't it! I don't watch that much tv any more, but when it goes offo n23rd December and they give you a date of 6th Jan for it to be fixed it's a bit of a piss take.

I am determined to get a digital aerial fitted now, with connections in the bedrooms too. I have quite enjoyed the Now TV but it's not amazing, I think I would get bored of it quickly.

AnotherEmma Wed 06-Jan-16 11:48:14

I recommend Virgin, you can get good package deals for TV, phone and Internet, and you get access to all the Freeview channels. If you want extras I definitely recommend Netflix, there is so much great TV on there. DH and I mostly watch C4 (which we record on our TiVo box from Virgin) and Netflix.

AnotherEmma Wed 06-Jan-16 11:51:30

Also, how old is your TV? Unless it's ancient, it should have a built-in Freeview tuner.

SevenOfNineTrue Wed 06-Jan-16 11:53:03

I have tried all three and prefer Netflix. It is cheaper than the other two and they do some really good home grown TV series but it takes ages for new series to be added after they've aired of the main TV series like The Good Wife etc.

AnotherEmma Wed 06-Jan-16 11:55:19

Netflix offers a one month free trial - why not try it?

LemonBreeland Wed 06-Jan-16 12:00:55

Thanks all. We can't get Virgin as we live rurally. My tv is a digital tv but without a huge fuckoff aerial on my roof we won't pick up signal, that's why I need to get one sorted. The internal aerials are useless here, too many hills.

I think we will try the free trial of Netflix.

Cheesypop Wed 06-Jan-16 12:02:44

We have all three. We have a basic tv package from BT and supplement it with the other three, giving us access to almost everything you can imagine! (except sport which we don't want)

Netflix has a lot of original series on it which tend to be good, we are transfixed by Making a Murderer at the moment. It also has some good comedy box sets. The cost of netflix can be shared with someone else as more than one person can access it at a time, so if a friend or family member also wanted netflix you could share the cost of an account.

Now TV is ok, the main draw for us is the Sky channels for Game of Thrones etc. Often the boxes are on offer in Argos or wherever and they come with x months subscription which would cost more than the monthly cost, so there are deals that can be done if you are savvy.

Amazon prime is also good, we use the Prime feature regularly for ordering from Amazon anyway, plus you get one free book per month on a kindle, so it works out OK for us. It has some pretty interesting original series like Mr Robot, The man in the high castle, Bosch etc.

I'm not sure I could choose just one (hence having all three!) but to be honest having all three and just being a bit savvy with the subscriptions is still cheaper than our Sky package was, and offers a way better choice in my view. Just make sure you have good high speed broadband!

Acorncat Wed 06-Jan-16 12:09:22

I use all 3 and have just cancelled my sky package. I'm getting a freesat pvr as in a freeview black spot. I mostly use prime for the next day delivery so would cancel that first if I have to I think. Or Netflix once I've watched everything I want on it - they don't seem to add new stuff that regularly.

MuttonDressedAsMutton Wed 06-Jan-16 12:11:22

Yes - ours went wrong on the 23rd - but not completely wrong. Oh no. Just wrong in that every picture was pixellated to fuck but not ALL the time. Just at the times you really wanted to watch or record something. We were all a bit piss-boily round here. And of course they couldn't get anyone out until the 4th. They said it might be the weather but funnily enough the one constant thing for the last few months has been the awful weather and there hasn't been one bit of pixellation since - errrrr - January 4th! grin angry grin

AnotherEmma Wed 06-Jan-16 12:13:51

Sky are unbelievable - they charge an absolute fortune and leave you with no TV over Christmas?! It's no wonder people are cancelling.

LemonBreeland Wed 06-Jan-16 12:14:31

They tried to tell us it was weather. There were high winds in our area apparantly. It wasn't even windy, and wind has never caused the Sky to go down before. Incredibly heavy rain will make it go off for a little while.

Anyway he has apparantly been and it was something to do with the cable.

redbinneo Wed 06-Jan-16 12:15:11

It is possible to install Plex to a Now TV box, which can then be used to stream video etc from a PC with Plex.

HelpfulChap Wed 06-Jan-16 12:17:48

Also have Netflix, Now and Amazon.

The steaming on Amazon seems to be far superior to Now. Amazon Prime is a similar price to Now but you get the added bonus of free next day delivery and Amazon music. But then I can get football with Now....

Memeto3boys Wed 06-Jan-16 12:24:34

We have had all 3 we kept netflix and Amazon prime both we find very useful and great for the kids tv. We only ever ended up watching criminal minds and gold rush on now tv so we cancelled as it didn't seem worth it.

pastizzi Wed 06-Jan-16 20:43:16

We have all 3 and I think if I had to let one go it would be Amazon, although I do like prime delivery!

I like Now for new programmes like The Affair, Game of Thrones etc but it is maddening that they don't offer HD (very strange in this day and age) streaming, so it's a much poorer picture than we're used to. The sound is awful, particularly on iPad/ iPhone, and there are no subtitles. They have some fab box sets and series on there but I only watch things I'm really desperate to see as the quality really affects my viewing pleasure.

Netflix is ace all round. Love it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now