Top of the Pops nostalgia

(10 Posts)
antimatter Sat 26-Dec-15 23:18:00

Who else indulges in old TOTP's too?

Like one just now on BBC4: Big Hits 1964 to 1975.

Yesterday I watched some Christmassy one's

FruVikingessOla Mon 28-Dec-15 08:10:23

I saw a bit of one the other night - Marc Bolan and T-Rex - I can't remember which song it was, but as I was watching it I thought the guy playing the piano looked like Elton John. Was a bit bemused until there was a subtitle saying that Marc's mate Reg was playing a guest appearance on the piano!

southeastastra Mon 28-Dec-15 08:12:29

i watched the 1979 hour long one and thought how eclectic it all was back then, so much great music in one year

absolutelynotfabulous Mon 28-Dec-15 09:59:57

I'm a bit of an addict. If I have to watch Boney M once more I'll scream. I'm enjoying them, but the same songs seem to be aired over and over. Is this my imagination?

There was a particularly crap episode featuring The Smurfs. Dire! 1978 I think.

I agree the the music was much more varied and interesting back then.

I suppose once you've cut out the episodes featuring Jimmy Savile, Hairy Cornflake and Jonathan King, there's not much left to show, is there?

My favourite moment was the Christmas one featuring........The Wombles! Wombling Merry Christmas is my all-time favourite Christmas pop song, and I never get to hear it.

BeckerLleytonNever Mon 28-Dec-15 17:22:49

Fru the song was 'get it on, bang a gong' with Reg! wink.

I love the old TOTP, theyre shown most Thursdays.

absolutely they showed an episode last year and one of those people you mentioned (JK) was on it.

I asked on MN (another username at the time) why he would be on after the scandal, and my thread was deleted!!!!

ot only do I love seeing the bands of my youth (althoughive forgotten a lot of them) and the DJs (Simon Bates was always my fave).

legs and co were a bit risqué wrerent they?

FruVikingessOla Mon 28-Dec-15 19:47:07

Thanks Becker. I'm so old enough that I would have probably watched it when it was originally aired ... but I just didn't remember that Reg was on it!

Many years later I had a friend who tried to convince us that she'd been part of Legs & Co or the other lot - Pan's People? But I've never found her name in any list of official TOTP dancers. Although I wouldn't be in the least surprised that she was one of the tall, leggy blondes who regularly featured as 'audience' on TOTP!!

absolutelynotfabulous Mon 28-Dec-15 19:53:09

becker that's really strange about your thread being pulled. I'm fairly sure I've seen JK hosting TOTP after the Saville scandal had broken too. I concluded that, in the panic surrounding Saville, the Beeb had simply missed JK, even though he had served time for offences against children. He always gave me the creeps though...that horrible lopsided grin...

Legs and Co were of their time, as I recall, and risqué, yes. But everything was closer to the bone then, wasn't it?

I seem to remember them being replaced by a mixed group of dancers in the early 80s (had lost interest in TOTP by then though).

BeckerLleytonNever Tue 29-Dec-15 17:18:46

Oh gosh those awful 'dancers' in the 80's, with the party hats and lobbing balloons at the person/band on stage, making them pissed off!

apparently JK has some hold over the beeb, don't know how or why, but basically he says (Im a bit foggy about this, so may have my facts wrong)he served his time and should be forgiven hmm. and that you cant block every despot and bad guy off the radar, history needs to know about them, you may as well eradicate stuff about Hitler/Khan/Stalin/etc etc.

what a prick.

I did contact HQ and asked why it had been pulled and they said theyd made a mistake, but they didn't put the thread back! and one poster replied before it was pulled ''this will go well'. don't know WTF thatw as about, semms you cant actually mention names any more???? no idea.

ppeatfruit Sat 02-Jan-16 14:33:57

BeckerlleytonNever This is not quite on the subject but I've always wondered why the shambolic peado perv. ex Jackson 5 singer has his songs played ALL the time on the radio.

Ragwort Sat 02-Jan-16 14:40:21

I was a teenager in the 70s so it's great to watch TOTPs now and re-live my youth grin. I went to the screenings a couple of times as well - we had a youth club outing once grin. Great fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now