How much do you reckon talking heads get paid?

(7 Posts)
PlasticGreenDinosaur Thu 13-Aug-15 21:13:09

Watching some programme about being British on C4 and unusually for a talking heads programme there's quite a few people I've heard of before on it grin

Which got me thinking - how much do you think celebrities get paid for going on these programmes? And how long are they filmed for?

rogueantimatter Fri 14-Aug-15 17:00:57

Ooh. Good question.

Sadly I have no idea grin Sorry.

Bumpin for ya'.

Nettletheelf Sun 16-Aug-15 23:17:34

My money is on 'sod all' or 'equity minimum rates'.

I always thought that talking head stuff was done by people who wanted to be more famous than they were. So they'd probably just do it for exposure?

HarrietVane99 Wed 26-Aug-15 19:26:54

I've been a talking head. Not as a celeb, but as someone who knew something about the subject. I got my travel expenses. I was filmed for a lot longer than was shown; they actually gave most of what I said to the mini-celeb presenter to say.sad I only met the researcher, producer and cameraman.

I did it for the experience, not fame or fortune. But after it was shown, someone I met said 'weren' t you on xxx?' So I was famous in a small waygrin

Libra Wed 26-Aug-15 19:48:34

Like Harriet, I have done a bit, but as an academic not a celeb. No money. Will sometimes pay for a taxi to get me to a studio. Only been paid the once, possibly because I had to get up at stupid o'clock for a breakfast show. They tend to come to me so they have the whole 'academic in her office' thing. Last time, one of the cameramen remarked that I was the only person who never bothered to tidy up before they came, which was a bit embarrassing.

PullTheBricksDown Wed 26-Aug-15 21:20:28

Andrew Collins the TV writer/journalist wrote a blog piece about this a couple of years ago. He then said most people got paid, but I wonder if this was actually the moment when things started to turn. This is the piece - it's very good:

wherediditallgorightblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/21/keeping-up-appearance-fees/

WorktoLive Wed 26-Aug-15 22:21:32

Ooh, I'm always intrigued by this sort of thing. I'm also interested to know things like how much Caitlin Moran gets paid for the piece she writes for the Times magazines on Saturdays.

Sadly, except for the stars, and probably those with good contracts for technical roles for the likes of the BBC (camera operator etc) I expect that there are a lot of interns, zero hours contracts, minimum wage work etc, because people will be queuing up to work on TV.

DP works in the music industry (backstage) and while he can get paid reasonably well for some projects, there are plenty that is just above minimum wage and of course there is no security and often very little notice of the next job (sometimes a day or two). A lot of what should be paid work is done by volunteers or by people who will put in a few shifts work for a ticket to the festival.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now