True Dectective - series 2 - anyone watching tonight?

(28 Posts)
MrsStevenPatrickMorrissey Mon 22-Jun-15 16:14:27

So is anyone up for series two? I liked the first series (watched it twice blush) I loved Rusty, don't know if this new cast will have the same appeal, the trailer looked okay though...

Rollergirl1 Mon 22-Jun-15 19:16:34

Yep I'll be watching. Need something to fill the Game of Thrones hole.

Saw first series and loved it. Second series had very mixed reviews. Rachel McAdams meant to be brilliant in it. Looking forward to watching tonight.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Mon 22-Jun-15 21:27:43

Watching now, just establishing characters and brill to see Kelly Reilly.

Live VV and Colin Farrell.

DustBunnyFarmer Mon 22-Jun-15 22:00:50

Also watching with DH. Colin Farrell's scene with the school bully was very dark. We're not sure any of this season's characters are remitely likeable.

Rachel McAdams! Who would have thunk it! I knew I recognised her but couldn't place her.

DustBunnyFarmer Mon 22-Jun-15 22:11:10

OK, good set up - if bleak. A trio of fuck ups/basket cases with ishooos. Should be fun, right? Hope some redeeming characteristics become evident next week.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Mon 22-Jun-15 22:13:40

Enjoyed that, looking good for Monday night telly for the next few weeks.

gingercat12 Mon 22-Jun-15 22:38:07

Just marking my place. We watched it, too. I kept going I know that person, hang on, just have to look them up.

Glittergirl123 Mon 22-Jun-15 22:43:12

Watched it! I really loved the first season so I was really looking forward to this episode . I found it quite hard to get into and I'm just not sure about it yet but I will keep watching.

MrsStevenPatrickMorrissey Tue 23-Jun-15 12:58:58

same as that dusty haven't really taken to the main characters yet, but I do like it, yeah there was a few people I was wrecking my head trying to figure out who they were....the religious leader man (Annie's father?) ....was he in the green mile as one of the guards??? Dh found it hard to get into too glittergirl but I'll definitley keep watching....I really like the opening credits too

DustBunnyFarmer Tue 23-Jun-15 19:31:48

Colin Farrell's character is deeply, deeply unlikeable already. At least in the first season Rusty had integrity and Woody Harrelson's character was amiable (if a philandering twat with it). So far, I think the CHiP officer and Rachel McAdams are off kilter because they are damaged, so have the potential to become more sympathetic - definitely some demons there with both of them.
Colin Farrell's character - hmmm. Also, I can't believe he made it to the crime scene after a whole bottle of whisky - now at least we have one reason why (some) Americans might choose to drive automatics!

Thurlow Wed 24-Jun-15 11:22:21

I liked it. Yes, CF was enormously unlikeable, whereas I found VV quite likeable - which is good, as we know that it should be the other way around, and I enjoy it when things are switched like that.

One thing that I noticed and really started to bug me (in a good way) was the art work. Seriously, watch next week or if you watch this episode again. Nearly every single scene/shot had artwork in the background on the walls. Probably just a visual style but once you notice it, you can't ignore it.

DustBunnyFarmer Wed 24-Jun-15 11:34:53

The artwork in the murdered politician's home was particularly eye-catching.

DustBunnyFarmer Wed 24-Jun-15 11:35:29

And yes, I'd noticed the artwork too.

Thurlow Wed 24-Jun-15 11:58:46

Glad it wasn't just me. It was just there, everywhere. I wonder what the point it?

DustBunnyFarmer Wed 24-Jun-15 19:05:14

I was talking about True Detective with DH earlier and he said he liked all the arty shots of the Californian motorway junctions. He found them quite sculptural and interesting. Overall, we felt they were going for quite an arty vibe on the new series - edgy music, artwork everywhere and interesting cinematography.

gingercat12 Wed 24-Jun-15 19:15:51

Originally they said the mysticism in this series will be something to do with the transport network, hence the amazing arty shots of the motorways.

DustBunnyFarmer Wed 24-Jun-15 19:29:53

Interesting, gingercat.

munchkinmaster Sat 27-Jun-15 23:28:28

Hmm, we watched it tonight and I yearn for rust. I like impotent suicidal motorcycle cop but he ain't rust.

gingercat12 Mon 29-Jun-15 22:26:28

Wow! Without naming names, did they just die? It was a pair of close range shots from a very powerful-looking weapon....

munchkinmaster Mon 29-Jun-15 22:54:28

Well I think kill off a few more. Two many characters to follow or get involved with.

As for the mayor, do the state police really need an investigation to see if he is dodgy?

It's all about the daddy issues it would appear also.

DustBunnyFarmer Mon 29-Jun-15 22:56:49

We forgot so will have to watch on catch up tomorrow. Sounds like the jury is still out on whether its worth sticking with?

gingercat12 Tue 30-Jun-15 09:33:12

I like how atmospheric it is, but do not always get the story.

Thurlow Tue 30-Jun-15 09:54:00

For some reason we thought they were rubber bullets - the sound it made, maybe? Plus if it was a real gun and they shot that close it would be significantly messier, surely?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 30-Jun-15 10:15:35

I'm with ginger- not sure if I unrest old what was going ongrin

gingercat12 Tue 30-Jun-15 14:07:13

If any of you are a bit bored or sad, I suggest you watch next week's trailer with the subtitles on. It is hilarious! Ok, I am not a native English speaker so do not always catch every single word, but youtube subtitles are massively confused. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now