In the Club tonight at 9pm [edited by MNHQ to say SPOILERS BY THE BUCKETLOAD]

(404 Posts)
Lighthousekeeping Tue 05-Aug-14 14:16:57

I like Kay Mellor and it has a great cast. Anyone else giving it a go?

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 03-Sep-14 23:09:06

Not sure why mnhq edited thread saying spoilers

If it has happened on TV then fair game to talk about it and more fool anyone reading thread if they haven't seen recent episode an then read what has happened spoilers

Doobledootch Wed 03-Sep-14 23:10:51

Yes, but we're still watching grin

Doobledootch Wed 03-Sep-14 23:12:56

I noticed that too, perhaps the plot predictions are proving so accurate that it reads like a spoiler thread to those just joining in.

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Wed 03-Sep-14 23:27:57

If you don't want a spoiler, avoid the BBC webpage for the programme (I learned that the hard way). They put a clip from the next episode up a week in advance.

DustBunnyFarmer Wed 03-Sep-14 23:30:10

Yup, but it will probably get a second series regardless.

HarlotOTara Thu 04-Sep-14 06:13:26

Enjoyed it but you do need to suspend reality, pap for the masses really. How would we all be with no telly.

eatscakefornoreasonwhatsoever Thu 04-Sep-14 06:22:12

Kay Mellor tends to do one-off series, doesn't she? So I would be surprised if there was a second series.

I am throwing my hat into the ring for Hermione's FiL being an old flame of some kind.

Southeastdweller Thu 04-Sep-14 08:12:03

As for FIL, my money is on old business partner of her husband that the once swung with and who could possibly be one of her children's father.

Oooh yes, that sounds believable (for this show).

mymummademelistentoshitmusic Thu 04-Sep-14 08:21:02

It won't be back. The cast in it are droid, credible actors. I'm guessing they'll know it's a load of tripe, even though watchable tripe, and will back right off. And I have to say, there's been some good acting but Jill Halfpenny and Hermione Norris have been pretty bad in it.

mymummademelistentoshitmusic Thu 04-Sep-14 08:23:27

Droid? Absolutely no clue where that came from. Should have been good.

CateBlanket Thu 04-Sep-14 10:26:20

They're jobbing actors and will take whatever well-paid role comes along I would think. Not that many TV roles for women and the BBC pays better than theatre.

mymummademelistentoshitmusic Thu 04-Sep-14 10:27:52

Nah. They do care about their professional reputations. Unless they're really down on their luck.

DinoSnores Thu 04-Sep-14 11:02:26

My BIL is an actor and I think I'd agree with cate. TV pays so much better than theatre and there are a lot of actors so if the work is offered and isn't completely and utterly dire, that's great. It'll just be left off the show reel!

Southeastdweller Thu 04-Sep-14 12:51:24

Of course they're jobbing actors like cate and Dino says. They're not like Judi Dench or Cate Blanchett who have the pick of the nice jobs. A six-parter like this can pay the mortgage for a year.

Most Kay Mellor dramas have gone beyond one series, btw.

DinoSnores Thu 04-Sep-14 13:16:22

Even Judi Dench has said (I do remember reading/seeing this but can't find the article so I think she might have said it on Graham Norton or something like that) that she is always anxious about the next job and that you are only as good as your next job.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 04-Sep-14 16:18:22

agree kay mellors usually run a few series, this programme isnt a dire as many make out, just needs a few script writers to get their facts right esp medical

eatscakefornoreasonwhatsoever Thu 04-Sep-14 17:14:05

mind you, once they've all had their babies, I'm not sure where else the series could go that was relevant - they'd have to have new ones wouldn't they?

Southeastdweller Thu 04-Sep-14 17:19:47

Yes I think they'd do a new set of mums, similar to what she did with The Syndicate.

Karbea Thu 04-Sep-14 18:02:59

I guess a couple could return with second babies.

MikeTheShite Fri 05-Sep-14 19:37:45

apparently Gaynor Faye is Kay Mellors daughter!!!

CateBlanket Fri 05-Sep-14 20:53:36

Yes, we know grin

NanaNina Fri 05-Sep-14 23:43:00

I agree that this is a bit of TV pap but I like it! Mind I think a lot of it is so unrealistic. Was also a bit pissed off about the pregnant midwife telling the young Asian woman (Jaz?) that the baby's blood group was different from hers and so she must have "taken her blood group from her father" - surely you can't establish paternity by a blood group, otherwise why would there be a need for DNA. Oh and surely they can't tell that the baby is not Jack's child because she is not a carrier of hymophilia???(sp?)

Oh and the posh woman played by Hermoine Norris - very unbelievable the way boyfriend's mother has changed tack SO incredibly and that nursery - hmm and the boyfriend's father - now who could he be.......I had a vague feeling that he was one of the people in the opening scene of a meeting where there were several blokes and Ruanna and her ex arguing about her settlement. But then if that was the case, he's surely have known that he knew her - Ruanna is hardly a common name. Ah well - all will be revealed (yawn........)

MikeTheShite Sat 06-Sep-14 07:00:13

sorry blush

SuffolkNWhat Sat 06-Sep-14 07:09:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Icimoi Sat 06-Sep-14 08:44:10

I checked out Hermione Norris's first scene (the mediation meeting), Neil Pearson isn't in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now