Which box set to watch with parents

(24 Posts)
Shells Tue 08-Jul-14 14:43:21

They're coming to stay for several weeks. We like to watch things together. Our quite grown up 13 year old will watch too. Minimal sex or extreme violence please.
Think The Wire etc. would be too much for them and subtitles would be too hard for Dad (poor eyesight).

They love British crime (Morse/Prime suspect etc.) and a bit of costume drama.
Any ideas people?

catsofa Tue 08-Jul-14 14:52:21

Life on Mars is very good, as is Sherlock (the BBC one with Benedict Cumberbatch).

Shells Tue 08-Jul-14 14:54:51

They've seen Sherlock - but hadn't thought of Life on Mars - great idea.

cheeseandcrackers Tue 08-Jul-14 15:43:13

Death in paradise
Upstairs Downstairs (the new ones),
House (brilliantly based on Sherlock but in modern medical context)
Hornblower (favourite with my PIL who like the same sort of stuff)
The Titanic drama series (as opposed to the feature film)

Shells Tue 08-Jul-14 17:37:27

Ah ok Cheese - some good ideas. Don't know Death in Paradise. Is the new Upstairs Downstairs any good?

redexpat Sat 12-Jul-14 00:13:45

Did thry watch house of cards back in the day? They might like the nrw one on netflix.
i didnt like the new upstairs downstairs or death on paradise. It was a less good midsummet murders.

how about new tricks? lewis?

ashtrayheart Sat 12-Jul-14 00:17:15

My parents have just started watching breaking bad yo grin

Winterwardrobetime Sat 12-Jul-14 00:20:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Preciousbane Sat 12-Jul-14 00:20:50

Life on mars is good but spoiler alert below

When he wakes up and is being shagged by the young girl who drugged him and she ends up murdered, maybe uncomfortable over the tea and digestives.

North and south/ Cranford are great with just enough bonnets for a costume drama fix. Just avoid death at Pemberley which was utter crap.

fackinell Sat 12-Jul-14 00:39:27

Modern family would be a fairly safe bet. Partly features a gay couple so not if they're old school or have strong religious beliefs about this. Can't go wrong with fawlty towers or only fools and horses.

They've probably seen it but Downton Abbey?

Shells Sat 12-Jul-14 21:23:09

Ooooh thanks so much for extra suggestions. They don't live in UK, but do get a few of the shows at 'home', so have seen Downton and I know they have enjoyed New Tricks. Modern Family - hmm. Could work. They would be fine with gay etc. I've also considered Breaking Bad (as I want to watch it myself and haven't).
North/South - excellent thought. Bet they haven't seen it. And House of Cards. Hmmm.
Lots to think about.
Thanks!

HmmAnOxfordComma Sat 12-Jul-14 22:05:26

Elementary? The American version of Sherlock (but he's still English, played by Jonny Lee Miller, but it's set in NY). Similar in feel to House and suitable for all.

LeBearPolar Sat 12-Jul-14 22:12:28

I second Elementary. And if they love Morse, have they seen Endeavour? Shaun Evans is brilliant as the young Morse.

My parents also love The Mentalist out of all my many box sets. Maybe they'd like Castle as well?

houseisfallingdown Sat 12-Jul-14 22:15:41

West Wing, Mad Men?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 13-Jul-14 00:45:21

Not bb for a 13 year old!

Mad men
Nurse Jackie
Greys Anatomy
Ashes to Ashes, my teen loves this!
West wing
Six feet under-not for teen

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 13-Jul-14 00:46:34

I loved Death at Pemberly!

QueenHaakonVII Sun 13-Jul-14 00:54:07

Death at Pemberly is a great suggestion. It's a bit cheesy but I really enjoyed it.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sun 13-Jul-14 00:56:29

The Big Bang Theory. Only the first inital episode has a bit at the beginning about donating to a sperm bank but the rest is tame.

Broadchurch. Twelve part murder mystery with the amazing Olivia Coleman.

ShineSmile Sun 13-Jul-14 00:57:20

Death in paradise

Ihatemytoes Sun 13-Jul-14 07:20:39

Broadchurch is an 8 part drama.

Fairylea Sun 13-Jul-14 07:32:43

Person of interest ?
Warehouse 13
Vampire diaries - a bit ridiculous but quite tame really, my pre teen loved it.

What about Hustle?

mipmop Mon 14-Jul-14 00:30:28

The good wife.

Damages. (Some violence)

Parks and recreation. Series 1 less good than 2 or 3.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now