Original House of Cards (UK 1990)

(17 Posts)
Optimist1 Sat 05-Jul-14 07:05:25

They're showing the entire series on Drama channel on 12 July. I, for one, will be watching!

MiaowTheCat Sat 05-Jul-14 07:59:24

Awesome - but I have it on DVD and on my Netflix queue anyway!

Yama Sat 05-Jul-14 08:01:05

I loved it. Dh was too young for it first time round. I wonder if it will be as good as I remember.

AbbeyBartlet Sat 05-Jul-14 08:23:29

I can't wait! I was a little too young first time around but am addicted to the US version - love the political intrigue and Kevin Spacey is so sexy!)

Optimist1 Sat 05-Jul-14 10:52:58

I'd like to say I was too young for it first time around but I'm not.

Clayhead Sun 06-Jul-14 13:49:40

I must be old because I watched it first time round and have seen it a few times since. It's just SO good...

SavoyCabbage Sun 06-Jul-14 14:09:04

"I couldn't possibly comment"

PseudoBadger Sun 06-Jul-14 14:20:46

I loved it as a young teen the first time round, it was the first serious adult drama that I watched.

diddl Sun 06-Jul-14 14:58:20

i thought that it was fab.

Only seen it once.

How does the US one compare?

Wonder if the BBC one will seem dated now?

Optimist1 Sun 06-Jul-14 16:27:18

Sorry, diddl, can't tell you how US version measured up as I didn't watch it. I have an aversion to re-makes of any kind! I remember the original as being a very interesting insight into the workings of parliament/government. Francis Urquart was a very powerful, devious character.

diddl Sun 06-Jul-14 16:30:51

I think that Kevin Spacey is great, but couldn't see the point in watching it tbh.

I know how it all ends.

Assume that they've just stretched out the storyline somehow!

Degustibusnonestdisputandem Sun 06-Jul-14 16:32:37

Ooh, I was 12 at the time, and remember watching it with mum grin

Icimoi Sun 06-Jul-14 23:52:58

Ian Richardson was utterly brilliant in this. I'll be watching.

fussychica Mon 07-Jul-14 10:52:22

Really? that's great - one of my all time favourite programmes. I had a strange crush on Ian Richardsonshock - brilliant actor too.

fussychica Mon 07-Jul-14 10:53:02

You might think that - I couldn't possibly commentgrin

MiaowTheCat Mon 07-Jul-14 16:10:56

I've seen the first one or two of the US version - was expecting to hate it but actually it's really really well done in terms of adjusting it to the different political system and bringing it up to date to account for things like the internet too... and not in the "WOO HOO I'M GOING TO SEND AN EMAIL NOW - LOOK NONE OF THIS 1990 STUFF FOR YOU" type very forced way.

I know the original fairly well, having read all the books along with seeing the series a few times.

drigon Wed 08-Jun-16 00:18:15

Yes, sorry this is an oldie but me and my son just binge-watched this on Netflix and loved it! I have seen bits of it before, both on its original run and since , but not all 3 series. Francis Urquart( Ian Richardson) is deliciously evil and I also loved Stamper and Mattie. Thinking of attempting the US one next-how does it compare with the UK original?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now