weatherall Mon 23-Jun-14 21:36:55

On bbc3 now.

Drama about domestic violence,

restandpeace Mon 23-Jun-14 21:38:13

Its horrible chilling

Alambil Mon 23-Jun-14 21:38:39

I'm going to iplayer it later

Darkesteyes Mon 23-Jun-14 21:48:43

Its harrowing I think police officers should watch it as part of their training.

restandpeace Mon 23-Jun-14 21:49:42

Poor girl

restandpeace Mon 23-Jun-14 22:00:11

I am having a good cry

SinisterBuggyMonth Mon 23-Jun-14 22:01:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DizziDoll Mon 23-Jun-14 22:01:40

It is horrific but an important program. Can't stop crying.

Xoticdreamz Mon 23-Jun-14 22:02:01

Oh god . Poor poor girl.

restandpeace Mon 23-Jun-14 22:02:49

It is important.

redandyellowbits Mon 23-Jun-14 22:02:56

Absolutely horrific. I can't believe she was only 21 when she died how awful.

restandpeace Mon 23-Jun-14 22:05:10

Poor little girl

weatherall Mon 23-Jun-14 22:09:07

I was really upset at the end when I realised it was a true story.

I was in an abusive relationship from 17-19/20 and it's brought back some awful memories.

It was very well done.

I hope it raises awareness.

At the time I was experiencing dv the police and family/friends made the situation worse. I think attitudes are slightly better now but more awareness is def needed and I hope this does that.

bleedingheart Mon 23-Jun-14 22:17:37

It was when he took his daughter back to bed and returned to carry on. Even her tears and fear didn't stop him.

20years? Is that all? He should never be released. How do
you rehabilitate a man like that?!

This will stay with me for a long time.

ilovemybum Mon 23-Jun-14 22:23:57

Just come on here to start a thread about it. I watched with tears streaming down my face. When I realised it was a true story I couldn't stop. That poor poor girl. This programme is going to stick with me for a long long time.

GoshAnneGorilla Mon 23-Jun-14 22:28:02

Absolutely harrowing without being luridand extremely well done.

The final scene will stay with me a long time, as will these words from the end:

Ashley took four years to die, in that time 229 women in the UK died as a result of domestic violence.

SholerAndChocolate Mon 23-Jun-14 22:50:35

I just came on to see if anyone else was watching. The last scene was so chilling, the way he calmly picked up his daughter before going back ...that poor child sad just awful. It will stay with me too.

Alambil Mon 23-Jun-14 23:14:27

so completely heartbreaking

I think the writer should have put the NDV helpline number on the credits too

I do wonder what it's going to take to stop these atrocities...

SummerFan Tue 24-Jun-14 02:05:05

I watched this earlier and now cant sleep for thinking about it, was so harrowing, especially where the little girl was crying for her mum at the end. The scene with the ironing board was so brutal.

Poor woman and poor child, I thank my lucky stars ive never been on the receiving end of domestic violence and really feel for anybody that has, awful.

Bellini12 Tue 24-Jun-14 10:46:20

Really good drama. Well acted. Despite her friends trying to pull her away he just hounded her and controlled every aspect of her life. So, so sad. I had to close my eyes during the last scene.

ClaudetteWyms Tue 24-Jun-14 11:05:21

I tried watching this but stopped around half way through, it was way too harrowing. Glad I missed the end sad

MikeTheShite Tue 24-Jun-14 13:18:57

I have no words. I'm sitting sobbing.
im a trainee social worker and that was so hard to take for me.
twenty years. ludicrous. life means life.

weatherall Tue 24-Jun-14 13:37:25

I think they should reshow it on bbc1 at 8pm.

This needs a wider audience than bbc3.

Seeing that may give a woman a push to escape DC sooner and that decision may save her life.

Schools should be screening it too.

Fizbo Tue 24-Jun-14 13:55:31

Have just watched this, so sad yet a brilliant film to make you think. As regards the scene where he attacks her at work, in real life even if she didn't want to press charges can't the police still prosecute as it was witnessed by so many?

A friend of mine drove past a couple arguing at a road side, the man knocked the woman out with one punch. Friend phoned 999 and ended up being a witness in court. The attacker got a prison sentence but I doubt it was for long. Friend said there were people walking past who ignored it.

I myself have seen a couple arguing in the street I was only 16 with my friends . He started to shake her and we were so scared. We phoned 999 and shouted from the locked car we were in that we had. It was the girl that shouted back "don't get the police" but they kept us on the line and treated it very seriously. I remember saying to the police I've never seen anyone look so angry please come before he starts hitting her.

Within minutes a police van appeared. We left shaken. That was15 years ago and I can still remember the look of absolute rage on his face. sad

Very chilling. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now