Anyone watching Mr Drew?

(128 Posts)

Any thoughts?

It looks like hell on earth. What's the actual plan?

littlegreengloworm Tue 29-Apr-14 21:26:12

Shocked. It's a long time since I have taught in such a setting.
I am glad I left.

BOFster Tue 29-Apr-14 21:27:06

I think they are still in the assessment phase atm. I can't help but think that the presence of cameras is like a red rag to a bull with some of them.

BOFster Tue 29-Apr-14 21:28:20

I'd be surprised if they don't make a lot of progress though- they wouldn't bother making the programme otherwise.

I'm a teacher. I don't think I could cope.

I'm looking at my little poorly 2 year old son and silently praying he's not like this.

littlegreengloworm Tue 29-Apr-14 21:30:55

I think Mr Drew has a good reputation for improving standards. I couldn't stand it. The cheek, lack of parental support, social skills. I remember clearing just over £240 a week after four years of training. My quality of life was so poor.

I love children but no. Never again.

doglover Tue 29-Apr-14 21:30:55

Sadly, it's all too familiar .......................

I'm not sure that I like the idea of the show. I really like the Educating Essex/Yorkshire programme so thought I'd give it a try.

Do you think it's very staged? I hope Mr Drew doesn't become a Super Nanny type character.

The parent looks like she's just totally given up.

TheDailyWail Tue 29-Apr-14 21:39:59

Clark seems so isolated by his own behaviour.

littlegreengloworm Tue 29-Apr-14 21:42:37

The parents are so tired. Her feel so much for that lady. Her self esteem is at rock bottom.

I really hope that Zanes mum doesn't call him those names at homesad

Laquila Tue 29-Apr-14 21:44:06

Oh my word. Zane's mum is making me at once very cross and very sympathetic.

There but for the grace of God!

HolyDrinker Tue 29-Apr-14 21:45:08

Clark actually seems very bright.

BOFster Tue 29-Apr-14 21:54:33

Yes, he really does.

Poor wee Tom. I love how he felt better for doing the right thing. I think that patient, positive attention does wonders; the challenge is to try and replicate that approach in a busy classroom and in a chaotic home with other siblings and stressed-out parents.

Most of these boys would benefit from expertly-trained staff and specially tailored educational programmes in small units, but i guess it all comes down to funding.

Albertatata Tue 29-Apr-14 22:03:50

It's annoying its only boys - perpetuates the image of naughty boys - girls can be just as bad

BOFster Tue 29-Apr-14 22:11:07

That's interesting- I think that it is useful to work with boys on their own though, as girls often have different issues and manifestations of challenging behaviour due to our very gendered culture. I would welcome a future programme featuring all girls.

I was really moved by the library session, and the effect it had on everyone, including the teacher. It's important to celebrate successes.

LePamplemousse Tue 29-Apr-14 22:18:29

I'm a secondary student teacher who will qualify in 2 months. Albertatata, I do take your point that girls can be just as bad, but in my experience in schools, there are far more boys than girls who can't behave appropriately. I don't know why - perhaps because when girls have negative experiences or problems at home they tend to either turn these inwards or have arguments with friends, whereas boys are more likely to be outwardly aggressive at school and extremely disruptive.
I'm not being sexist - in fact I'm a feminist - but that's just my experience.

I personally am not a massive fan of Mr Drew and never really 'got him' on Educating Essex. I preferred the Head.

Notcontent Tue 29-Apr-14 22:21:17

It's interesting. If I had watched this show a few years ago, I would have been very judgy and thinking that it was a result of very poor parenting.

But I no longer think that. Obviously poor parenting can be a factor. But I have had my own issues with a dd who is perfect at school but can be very difficult at home. Some children are just difficult, find life frustrating and need extra help.

Albertatata Wed 30-Apr-14 03:52:45

I think my comment comes from being a mum of two boys and constantly being slightly pitied by people I meet -'2 boys, you've got your work cut out' to me there seems to be this expectation that boys will be harder. I personally find that people seem to be quite negative about me having two boys and so maybe I'm a bit touchy about this programme singling out naughty boys etc.

OddBoots Wed 30-Apr-14 07:23:38

I'm half way through on catch up, it's certainly eye opening.

Sparklingbrook Wed 30-Apr-14 07:41:12

I sat there like this shock throughout. My judgey pants nearly strangled me and I tutted a lot. sad

GooseyLoosey Wed 30-Apr-14 09:27:07

I could not really work out what was happening.

At one point they seemed to be saying that it was important for the boys to have consitent boundaries that they could understand. However, in the next scene one of the boys was swearing and calling Mr Drew names and he just nodded and said OK. I appreciate he was trying to calm the situation but where do the boundaries come in?

I do hope that the programme make some positive differences for these children. They all seemed to have the capacity to be lovely boys if they could learn to deal with the stress factors in their lives. If it does not improve things for them I think I would feel that the programme makers had exploited them and their parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now