Fargo, so far so good?

(281 Posts)
Girlsbrigadewashorrible Sun 20-Apr-14 22:09:15

Just watching it now with DH, kids gone to bed stuffed with chocolate. Anyone else enjoying this as much as I am?

Methe Sun 20-Apr-14 22:10:22

I turned it off after about 10 minutes as the accents did my head in.

DustBunnyFarmer Sun 20-Apr-14 22:20:30

It's pretty dark stuff. Not sure how they'll string it out to a whole series though.

LucyBabs Sun 20-Apr-14 22:22:05

I'm really enjoying it girls smile Martin Freeman is excellent!

Girlsbrigadewashorrible Sun 20-Apr-14 22:25:30

Episode one was a treat. So rare that DH and I watch something together that we both enjoy.

TessTackle Sun 20-Apr-14 22:29:27

I've enjoyed it. I love a bit of a dark series, as does DP. Hoping to turn this into a regularly watched thing for us.

Girlsbrigadewashorrible Sun 20-Apr-14 22:32:26

Agree Dust, it's going to be a long ten(?) weeks. Martin Freeman and Billy Bob Thornton were superb. Very dark and it reminded me a little of Twin Peaks. Looking forward to next Sunday already.

shakinbakin Sun 20-Apr-14 22:38:17

Fabulous loved every second.

whereisthewitch Sun 20-Apr-14 22:38:20

It was great! Though what were the strange accents about?

I really enjoyed it, but I'm a little confused about one thing. At the start of the programme it said the series was based on real events occurring in 2006, but the film Fargo was released in 1996. Or was it not based on real events after all and I was just being incredibly gullible?

VivaLeBeaver Sun 20-Apr-14 22:45:29

I quite liked it. Bit confused at times. Never seen the film, think I started watching it once and fell asleep.

hazeyjane Sun 20-Apr-14 22:50:38

The film starts by saying 'based on true events from 1987' - actually it wasn't, there were some bits inspired by news stories. So I guess the TV show is doing the same thing. The accents are Minnesota dialect - although apparently since the film, people in Minnesota get hacked off with thinking everyone talks like that!

I loved the film, and thought this show was great - especially the second half.

MorrisZapp Sun 20-Apr-14 22:50:41

Thought it was brilliant. The young lady cop was superb.

Looks like more good stuff to come too.

The odd accents are because it is set in small town Minnesota, where the locals speech is influenced by their Scandinavian ancestors.

MothershipG Sun 20-Apr-14 22:51:33

The strange accents are because there are a lot of Scandinavians in that part of Minnesota and some of the communities are quite insular so they held on to the Nordic 'twang'.

I completely don't believe it's based on a true story grin

DustBunnyFarmer Sun 20-Apr-14 22:54:07

I didn't even notice the accents.

OneToThree Sun 20-Apr-14 22:59:40

Loved it. Will be watching next week.

happybubblebrain Sun 20-Apr-14 23:01:08

The original film is one of my favourite films of all time. I am enjoying the series not quite as much as the film, but it's still very watchable. I think Billy Bob Thornton is especially good in it, the other characters less so. The accents are toned down in the series. There is also less humour in this version. I recommend anyone who hasn't seen the film to buy it.

Mandy2003 Sun 20-Apr-14 23:28:36

...And its a yes from me! I love the dark humour, it reminds me of Twin Peaks at times. Hadn't realised the movie was so many years ago shock

Bit behind due to DD's belated bedtime. Spent a couple of minutes thinking I couldn't cope with Martin Freeman being American. Then that I didn't like people being so mean to him. Then shock !!!

Accents are definitely a lot less extreme than the movie, which was wall-to-wall 'yah'. Definitely a good start, lots of interesting tension.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sun 20-Apr-14 23:51:59

It kicked off a bit didn't it? That poor policeman and his pregnant wife. Stroke of genius of MF to knock himself out and claim innocence. Will watch it next week.

TenMinutesEarly Sun 20-Apr-14 23:55:30

The look on his wife's face when he whacked her shock

BobblesAndClips Mon 21-Apr-14 00:11:35

I enjoyed it, although I was hiding behind my hands when MF's character cracked, a bit graphic for me am a wuss

Looking forward to the next one.

Seabright Mon 21-Apr-14 00:19:14

Loved it! I will watch Martin Freeman in most things (except Hobbity-tosh) so that was the draw for me.

Bringing the wood chipper!

WildThong Mon 21-Apr-14 00:19:42

Is it a true story though....off to google

BOEUFster Mon 21-Apr-14 00:22:02

I loved Billy Bob Thornton.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now