Flowers in the Attic

(46 Posts)

Starts Thursday night on Lifetime with Heather Graham as evil mother. Think maybe dh isn't going to be interested in watching this somehow!

whitewitchofnarnia Sun 13-Apr-14 21:42:41

Oooh I loved the books as a teen , thought they were proper romantic and used to justify to everyone the brother and the sisters incest to everyone in school no wonder I had no friends looking forawrd to it

Sparklingbrook Sun 13-Apr-14 21:43:06

I saw the ad. i read the books as a teen, not sure i want to revisit....

starlight1234 Sun 13-Apr-14 21:44:31

there was a film out I watched years ago it was a real disappointment compared to book so hope this is better

LoveVintage Sun 13-Apr-14 21:46:33

Did you see the dreadful film they made of it in the eighties? I remember the youngest boy had unfeasibly blond curly hair.

I've set it to record - hadn't heard of 'lifetime' til this thread!

AnimalsAreMyFriends Sun 13-Apr-14 21:50:07

Don't eat the donuts!!!!!!

thenightsky Sun 13-Apr-14 21:54:04

Bugger, I don't think I can get Lifetime. Is it Skye or something?

thenightsky Sun 13-Apr-14 21:55:56

It's so long since I read the books, I don't recall the mother as being evil. I thought she was portrayed as being stunningly beautiful, but aloof, and a victim herself.

MakeMineAMartina Mon 14-Apr-14 17:47:11

Ooh, interesting! Thanks for telling us, I read all the book series way back when and even though there were a lot of flaws with it, it still was fascinating!

Ill be watching.

Floer1 Mon 14-Apr-14 22:35:13

It's already been on. The little girl from Mad Men was in it too. It's more true to the story than that film was, but still not great.
They're doing a sequel too, apparently

Wishfulmakeupping Tue 15-Apr-14 14:06:48

Is the channel on sky what number is it?

MakeMineAMartina Tue 15-Apr-14 16:53:12

156 on Sky.

MakeMineAMartina Tue 15-Apr-14 16:54:50

I always used to picture the Grandmother as Kathy bates in Misery!

Have you read the very 1st book? Garden of shadows? its the grandmothers story.

I picture young Malcolm as Christian Slater!

FishCalledWonder Tue 15-Apr-14 16:57:53

I watched this last week. The kids are good. Heather Graham is awful!

MakeMineAMartina Tue 15-Apr-14 17:04:52

isn't it the first episode then? that's what the op said! hope I didn't miss it sad

napoleonsnose Tue 15-Apr-14 17:30:51

Saw this advertised earlier. Have set a series link to record it as I doubt it will be something DH will want to watch. Read the books about 25 years ago as a teenager -- I am old-- during a holiday paperback fest with my cousin. I remember being quite into Virginia Andrews at the time and read a few of her sagas.

MakeMineAMartina Tue 15-Apr-14 17:43:03

the Dark angel series was my fave, even better than the flowers one.

wish theyd make a series of that!

Floer1 Tue 15-Apr-14 22:51:21

It originally aired in January this year. Lots of us watched the whole series after a recent Flowers in the Attic thread.
I didn't think much of the casting of Cathy or the grandmother. And why do they always cut Cathy's hair in these remakes (Chris salvaged it! blush )

mum2jakie Thu 17-Apr-14 21:46:34

Anybody watching this now? I daren't watch alone but don't think my OH will agree to watch it with me tomorrow night!

QueenFuri Thu 17-Apr-14 21:56:51

I'm watching its ok I've never read or heard of the books mind you so can't tell if its true too them. Is it supposed too be scary? I'm quite sensitive too scary stuff and I'm sitting home alone in the dark lol. Is it a series or a one off?

Moln Thu 17-Apr-14 22:02:58

It's a series? Not showing as one on my recordy box!!!

There's one at midnight confused

mum2jakie Thu 17-Apr-14 22:18:07

The books weren't scary - just disturbing!

IneedAwittierNickname Thu 17-Apr-14 22:50:29

I thought it was a one off? It's being shown as part of a series of 'true drama' type stuff, one was about the wife of Malcom X.

Anyways, I didn't relise this.was on in January, lifetime have billed it as the UK premiee

IneedAwittierNickname Thu 17-Apr-14 22:58:16

Oh, just saw the ending (which wasn't how i remember it) and it said to he continued, but series link hasn't picked up part 2, so I assume its not on yet

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now