Endeavour?

(148 Posts)
thefemaleJoshLyman Sun 06-Apr-14 22:11:47

Did anyone watch Endeavour? What was the thing with the ring at the end?

Tigresswoods Sun 06-Apr-14 22:20:01

I don't know but I'm never going to sleep after that! Very creepy tonight.

danceponydance Sun 06-Apr-14 22:23:01

The ring is masonic which linked in with last weeks episode.

yegodsandlittlefishes Sun 06-Apr-14 22:24:27

Is this a new series I'm missing or the first series and I've forgotten it?

danceponydance Sun 06-Apr-14 22:27:04

It's a new series, started last Sunday 2nd episode tonight.

yegodsandlittlefishes Sun 06-Apr-14 22:30:02

Oooh! Which channel? Will have to see it I can catch up. Thanks! :D

danceponydance Sun 06-Apr-14 22:30:54

ITV at 8pm

yegodsandlittlefishes Sun 06-Apr-14 22:33:40

thanks

I didn't understand the ring bit either but there is bound to be a return to the Masonic stuff mentioned last week because that wasn't properly tied up last week (the end scene of someone handing over the notebook that went missing from the crime scene).

Was there some significance to the photos Morse was looking at in the very final shot tonight? I think I might have understood it, but would prefer it if someone could explain it to me!

Tigresswoods Sun 06-Apr-14 22:36:54

Ah a Masonic ring. That makes sense.

Does anyone else spend the whole time thinking if Sarah & Duck due to Thursday's voice?

Just me...?

Tigresswoods Sun 06-Apr-14 22:40:36

The photos were if the family with the murdered children.

If you recall Charlotte's face was always scratched out. Then he found one with her face still in. Turns out she had Downs Syndrome.

Thanks Tigress. That was what I thought but wasn't sure.

thefemaleJoshLyman Sun 06-Apr-14 22:51:39

I have remembered the scene with the notebook from last week, there is clearly a masonic link.

It was really creepy, freaked me out.

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Sun 06-Apr-14 23:58:29

It's so great!

On the photos - future investigators had assumed the father had committed Charlotte to an asylum because he knew she'd murdered her siblings and was mad. The photos just revealed that actually he'd sent her away because of her Down Syndrome, and it was the "shame" of that (not her being mad) that had led to the other photos being defaced.

The father may also have been happy to have everyone assume she'd been responsible since he eventually had a rapprochement with the awful son who'd actually murdered everyone.

The mason thing is interesting because last week I'd assumed the notebook being handed over was just an aside - sort of "oooh, they're everywhere, those Masons" but it looks like there'll be more to it now.

It's so, so good though. I like it even more than Lewis.

I remember watching all the original Morses with my mum and she always used to affectionately call Morse such a sad and hopeless case. I never really got that - I think I was just too young and I couldn't really see John Thaw's Morse as more than a grumpy old man. But Endeavour just breaks my heart every episode! Seeing him with all these nice girls, but knowing that he's doomed to be Forever Alone! Poor old Morse!

PartialFancy Mon 07-Apr-14 00:19:36

Someone had fun putting that together!

We got the references to...

The Suspicions of Mr Whicher or The Murder at Road Hill House - Strive Hill House, and children killed by a jealous half-sibling
The Moonstone - tragic family secret (and nice bit of jewellery) from the Raj, and a policeman called Cuff
An Agatha Christie - "There have always been Carsgils at Strive", lifted straight from Dead Man's Folly with names changed, a clue to a hidden descendant.

And of course it was all terribly Woman in Black.

Oh, and the girls in white frocks draped over each other by the lake was very reminiscent of Picnic at Hanging Rock.

Also, there was a Mr Weiss/White and a Mr Black. I bet that wasn't accidental, but don't get that one...

DuchessofMalfi Mon 07-Apr-14 06:48:31

Maybe they are going to start explaining why the older Morse was so paranoid about anything to do with Masons.

Also, did anyone else think he'd missed a great opportunity with his neighbour, the nurse? She seems really nice and fancies him.

Clawdy Mon 07-Apr-14 10:20:51

Missed last week's so did not get the Masonic reference. Morse remembered in a flashback that the post-grad had been wearing the ring which Blaise Hamilton was wearing in the old portrait,and realized there must be a family link. It had been passed down father to son,so Morse guessed he could be the killer,with an inheritance motive. Don't see there was a Masonic link?

DuchessofMalfi Mon 07-Apr-14 12:54:44

It was the symbol on the ring - a Masonic one, think it's called a square and compass.

Nennypops Mon 07-Apr-14 13:20:13

Anyone else a bit hmm about having a character called Bunty? I don't recall ever coming across any child called Bunty in either the 1950s or 60s.

OhNoYouExpedidnt Mon 07-Apr-14 13:54:49

I just watched it on catch up whilst cooking but missed who the American couples granddaughter was. Anyone shed any light please?!

Tigresswoods Mon 07-Apr-14 16:21:27

My MIL who lives in Oxford & would have been in her 30's in the 60's had the nickname Bunty.

No idea why?!?

EmilyAlice Mon 07-Apr-14 16:25:52

I thought the reference was to, "there've always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm"...
In my yoof there was a girls' weekly comic called Bunty.

EmilyAlice Mon 07-Apr-14 16:28:06

You can find anything on t'internet can't you?
www.britishbabynames.com/blog/2012/09/bunty.html

LIZS Mon 07-Apr-14 16:29:43

ohno it was the first victim's niece, although I wasn't clear if he'd realised .

thefemaleJoshLyman Mon 07-Apr-14 19:44:54

I thought the girl at the end was just a random girl, not Weiss's niece.

I did suddenly remember the notebook and masons thing after I posted! I wonder who is the masonic link? The annoying sergeant?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now