how I met your mother series 9 - starts Thursday!!

(55 Posts)
FlyAwayToMalibu Fri 31-Jan-14 12:29:34

I've seen 3 episodes of series 9. I hope the Internet theory that the mother dies isn't true although I have a suspicion that Robin or barney might die.

the writers said a main cast character dies.

Based on what I've seen, the mother's personality isn't what I expected it to be.

Any predictions on how it'll end?

FlyAwayToMalibu Sat 01-Feb-14 09:14:23

I prefer barney and Robin

TheNightIsDark Fri 31-Jan-14 23:39:26

I don't like Ted and robin together hmm

I really hope it's not that ending.

FlyAwayToMalibu Fri 31-Jan-14 23:19:01

Apparently the writers decided that if the show got cancelled after series 2, it was going to be revealed that victoria was going to be the mother.

FlyAwayToMalibu Fri 31-Jan-14 23:17:22

This maybe over analysing but when ted, barney and Marshall get together to watch the star wars films and it's in the future, and ted brings out his baby girl. Did anyone notice if barney is wearing a wedding ring? Because at that point he should be married to robin.

I would be really upset if they don't get married.

FloweryFeatureWall Fri 31-Jan-14 23:16:10

Yeah haha! I'm just glad we get an ending. I used to moan to my ex that it would get cancelled before we meet the mother so there was no point getting too invested. Glad I was wrong!

FlyAwayToMalibu Fri 31-Jan-14 23:14:46

I bet the real ending is barney and robin get married have great adventures, Ted and the mother get married, 2 kids live happily ever after, and Marshall and lily have 2-3 more kid. Bet it ends with them having a BBQ in teds back yard - reference from the episode he first buys the house.

I really hope it's not a lame ending!

FloweryFeatureWall Fri 31-Jan-14 23:14:01

Yeah kind of like because robin is aunt robin, her husband would be uncle Barney even though he's dead. Because he will have been uncle Barney when they were a toddler and baby so he just carries on maybe?

FlyAwayToMalibu Fri 31-Jan-14 23:11:36

I just thought though, if barney dies a couple years after getting married, the kids wouldn't even remember him they would've been a toddler and baby. If that's the case, why would he refer to barney and uncle barney? Just out of respect?

FloweryFeatureWall Fri 31-Jan-14 23:11:24

Ooh yes! I like that legendary thing idea! I could imagine that.

I bet the real story is so boring and we are all like hmm when it's on.

I can't wait though.

It's going to be legen - wait for it - DARY

FlyAwayToMalibu Fri 31-Jan-14 23:09:28

flowery I made the comment about the kids being blasé and rude about hearing Teds story.

Your theory totally makes sense - that she travelled the world, became a bullfighter etc after barney died. I bet he left her a note or said something along the lines of making sure her life is awesome of legendary.

God are we massively over thinking this? Lol don't care it's fun!

The new series starts on Thursday in the uk and think it's like 17-18 episodes long?

FloweryFeatureWall Fri 31-Jan-14 22:36:51

Ooh I just read something that makes me doubt ted is dead or the mother is dead (it's something someone pointed out to me further up about my ted theory).

If either parent has died or is dying, the kids would be more interested in the story. Why would they be so rude if they are aware one of the parents they are told about is dead or dying? If it applies to the idea of ted dying it would apply to the mother being dead too.

But then if it was uncle Barney or aunt robin who died, they would also be sad and not rude.

Unless! The person who has died, they barely knew as they died while the teenagers were little and it's just one of dad's old friends to them. What if robin did all the amazing stuff she does because Barney dies and she decides to do all the things she can do in a sort of tribute memory thing?

I think I'm swaying onto the Barney theory.

BigW Fri 31-Jan-14 22:31:09

MG! That's plausible. That could be it.

FloweryFeatureWall Fri 31-Jan-14 22:30:14

I don't know about that one. I don't think he'd emphasise the "aunt" robin thing the whole way through if he was about to say "she's your new mom!". God I just want to know now! When is it aired?

BigW Fri 31-Jan-14 22:30:05

O

FlyAwayToMalibu Fri 31-Jan-14 22:27:21

Robin....dont know who ronin is lol

FlyAwayToMalibu Fri 31-Jan-14 22:26:50

Just read a theory that blew me away! This is the theory:

Barney and ronin got married and he died shortly after the wedding (2-3 Yeats after)

Ted and the mother get married, have children etc, and in the year 2030 when Ted is telling the story, she has just died

He and robin have now decided to get married

He's explaining to his children how much he loved their mother and always will (the time travellers speech) but is also explaining how much robin meant to him and how he lived her

This would explain why Marshall said "not yet" when lily asked him he he thought it was the end of the Ted and robin story in series 8 (after the locket episode)

Mind blowing right??

Marshall says not yet because their story didn't end, even after they married different people, they were meant to be together.

Scardy- SPOILER he meets their mother gringringringringringrin

BigW Fri 31-Jan-14 21:17:25

i often think that! He really bangs on about it! If my DH spent all these years telling my kids how much he was in love with his ex (who is still sees) I wouldn't be happy!

FlyAwayToMalibu Fri 31-Jan-14 21:11:55

Oh god bigW that's too sad to even think about! Very vanilla sky.

I do think its odd how Ted has told his kids how much he's in love with Robin.

BigW Fri 31-Jan-14 19:48:29

What if Ted's kids don't really exist and his wife dies before they ever have children, or even before they get married and it is like a grief thing from Ted...

FlyAwayToMalibu Fri 31-Jan-14 19:35:04

The episode where robin is talking to her non existent future kids is really sad.

FlyAwayToMalibu Fri 31-Jan-14 19:34:08

trills could very well be - or it could be a a bit of a trick statement or something.

FlyAwayToMalibu Fri 31-Jan-14 19:33:29

Agree with flowery they could be the things she's done already - think one of them was become a bullfighter?

Apparently another thing I read was that colbie smulders upon reading the final episode script ran out of the room crying. Don't know what that means, if it means robin dies? Barney and robin don't get married? Ted dies or the mother or simply that she was emotional at reading the final ever script, but it's intriguing!

Trills Fri 31-Jan-14 19:31:42

Maybe they were just messing with us.

"Someone is going to die" is almost a cliche now.

FloweryFeatureWall Fri 31-Jan-14 19:06:47

She can't die after she does those things? I can't remember what they are so are they things she could do between the past and the present?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now